Liknuts

StoneHandsStoneHands 341 Posts
edited September 2012 in Strut Central
Thoughts? Im loving it. A bunch of funny drunk uncles in this piece. Excited for the LP

Comments

• I thought it was good, was expecting something a little more though, Tash still gets busy.

Just my opinion

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    Been waiting years for this, 2 of my favorite rap groups. The beat on Grumpy Crocodile was underwhelming at first but the lyrics are hilarious and entertaining. Can't wait to to hear what the crew cooked up.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Rather than embellish on how that was just alright, I'd rather use this thread to report how much I've been happily bumping 21 and Over lately.

• francois parkerfrancois parker formerly know as Parkz. 125 Posts
    Expected to hate it but it came off alright, just alright though.
    Tash has stil got it.

Coincidently just moments before checking the above clip I've just heard the entire Liks / Coast II Coast album for the first time, obviously I knew most of it from clubs/radio but a few nice joints I never heard before.

• I've been playin this for a few months. Never seen the video though. I love it.

• I caught the show a couple weeks back here in SF.

I did some whiskey shots with both crews after the show, so I can check that off my high school backbackrap bucketlist.

I heard from a certain insideur (the dude that booked the show actually) that the two crews...combined...received $2500. And no, there is no zero missing there. (Granted, they were piggybacking off an existing tour date, so this was like a bonus little club appearance. That said, they did do about an hr-long set; it's not like they were just signing autographs).

I'm not real familiar with the business side of the rapp game these days. Can someone confirm that this is utterly ridiculous and that holmes was fucking with me?

I'm not sure I want to live in a world where 2 of my all-time favorite rap crews can't command more money than that.

• rootlesscosmo said:

I'm not real familiar with the business side of the rapp game these days. Can someone confirm that this is utterly ridiculous and that holmes was fucking with me?

I don't think he was - a promoter dude I got on facebook just posted:

"Any artists interested in collaborating with The Alkaholiks or The Beatnuts this weekend in Toronto message me now!"

Still better than Das Efx posting on craigslist ill tell ya that much..

• The fact that they made $2500 that night sounds depressing, I am hoping they made more than that off the other shows.

"This can't be life!" *Jay-Z voice*

• damn, this is my first listen of this...dope track! like everyone else pretty well said Tash still holds his own, so sickly, glad to see there is a new album coming..

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    StoneHands said:

Jesus that's depressing.

Tash still gets busy but that beat was zzz... I think with the right production and sticking with their traditional rhyme and beat style it could work. Who wouldn't have wanted to hear Street Level era Beatnuts and 21 & Over/Coast II Coast era Liks together bitd? I'm not actively searching for schitt like this, but if you're gonna make a project like it you might as well know your demographic of old dudes and europeans (just keeping it 100) and make it like it was back then. I know both groups have a shitload of unused beats they could've rapped over.

• Yeah, the beat was kind of zzzz to me too. It would have been cool to hear them both on top of something a la hip hop drunkies. Something with energy. As Day said, they've probably got a lot of unused beats that they could dust off.

• I really like the beat. Not sure if you guys have been listening to any of of the newer Beatnuts albums (like from Originators on, which really isn't 'new'), but this beat is in line with what they've been doing. Seems like they've become a little lazy with the beat construction, but in my opinion the weirder, more quirky sample choices *kinda* make up for it. That said, I wish they'd spend a little bit more time with these weirder, more quirky samples. On a couple of those more recent albums, they just let the 4-bar loop play over and over and throw everything on it, hook, chorus, verses...

• Anybody know what children's album this came off of?

Nevermind.

I think I have this record. I like the fact that they pretty much left the loop as is.

• screw this/

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THe HELL THE ORIGINAL TO STONE CRAZY IS!

okthxoldguybai

• 4YearGraduate said:
    screw this/

okthxoldguybai

This?

• nocluos said:
    4YearGraduate said:
    screw this/

okthxoldguybai

This?

Wow. Thank you!

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    day said:

I'm not actively searching for schitt like this, but if you're gonna make a project like it you might as well know your demographic of old dudes and europeans (just keeping it 100) and make it like it was back then. I know both groups have a shitload of unused beats they could've rapped over.

I need to chime in on this. A couple of months ago, I had the pleasure of working with J-Ro (who is now residing in Sweden) and we were talking about the Liknuts and he told me that this project is something that they were talking about and wanted to realize since 10+ years ago.
    The fact that they are still able to pull this off makes me very happy and although I am not too much of a fan of this first single, I wish them every success with all the things they have in the pipeline and I am pretty sure some heat will surface.

Related to that - and granted, this is another threadworthy topic - we were talking about how long a rap career can last. Both J-Ro and me agreed that as long as there is someone willing to be a fan of dudes who are 40+ that still manage to rap and put on a good stage show, things like this will happen. And J-Ro was totally up for it to pursue what he loves. HipHop will turn 40 next year in August and we are the first generation that will witness Mc's in their 60's who will still put on a show, just like Jazz cats already do for several decades now. Not a bad thing in my book [talmbout rippin' the microphone till I'm motherf*#ing 60].
    The fact that the money is rather marginal compared to former times is imo outweighed by the fact that you are still able to do what you love. You can't put a price tag on that. Too many people have fallen into the "whatever happened to" category, but as long as you have dudes like the Liks and the Nuts who do it for the love (and of course facing all the struggles that come with somewhat fading careers and getting old - don't ask me about Juju and his level of irony at a Copenhagen airport at 8 in the morning), there will be a way to make a living.
    Me personally, I am looking forward to Mc's getting old and still having the skills to move the crowd.

• day said:
    StoneHands said:

Jesus that's depressing.

Tash still gets busy but that beat was zzz... I think with the right production and sticking with their traditional rhyme and beat style it could work. Who wouldn't have wanted to hear Street Level era Beatnuts and 21 & Over/Coast II Coast era Liks together bitd? I'm not actively searching for schitt like this, but if you're gonna make a project like it you might as well know your demographic of old dudes and europeans (just keeping it 100) and make it like it was back then. I know both groups have a shitload of unused beats they could've rapped over.

To be fair to the Nuts, crusty europeans aren't checking past street level anyways, while they hit their popularity peak in like 1999... So I cant blame em for trying to stay (semi-)relevant

• As for the Beatnuts, being an early forties-something euromans and someone who loved their early output I attended a show of theirs a few years ago and shit was painful to watch. Truly Embarrassing a couple of overweight blokes on stage cracking jokes that wouldn't be out of place in the local school playground and giving a so so performance.
    They might have made some decent music back in the days and for a short period Les was my favourite MC but their current rate for a live show is probably so low as they are simply past their sale by date, and it's not really their fault just the nature of the beast
    I'm afraid.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    I'm not sure I want to live in a world where 2 of my all-time favorite rap crews can't command more money than that.

There simply isn't the same kind of money to be made in music than there once was, no matter who you are. On Prodigy's last tape, he was talking about pulling down seven figures, and to be honest there was something a little pathetic about it. It just sounded so hollow.

That said, for rappers who maybe have a more realistic outlook, the story might be a little different. I'd imagine there are places where the Liks and the Beatnuts - either separately or combined - could command quite a bit more for a show than $2500, but those places are probably in Europe.

From what I can gather, many of the newer rappers have pretty much abandoned the idea of getting paid off recorded music, and are instead choosing to give away their shit as a loss-leader for their live shows. Even though these dudes are probably doing better than most in the rap game right now, my guess is that some of them would have been making insane money if they'd come up ten years ago.

• They nearly played in Orlando but cancelled at the last minute, I was proper gutted with that one. Two of my favourite crews, Tha Liks got me into hip-hop (Only When I'm Drunk was one of the first rap joints I ever heard, 21 & Over was the first piece of Vinyl I ever bought). I even had free tickets and a DD, gah!

Still, good to see both crews combining in something that really should have happened a long time ago. The Crocodile beat was a little down-tempo for what I was expecting as both crews can produce some ill joints with real bounce in, but I'm definitely excited for the new LP.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    King.Lewey said:
    They nearly played in Orlando but cancelled at the last minute, I was proper gutted with that one. Two of my favourite crews, Tha Liks got me into hip-hop (Only When I'm Drunk was one of the first rap joints I ever heard, 21 & Over was the first piece of Vinyl I ever bought). I even had free tickets and a DD, gah!

Still, good to see both crews combining in something that really should have happened a long time ago. The Crocodile beat was a little down-tempo for what I was expecting as both crews can produce some ill joints with real bounce in, but I'm definitely excited for the new LP.

Yeah that was disappointing right? I'm too old to be getting excited about rap shows anymore but this one did it. Have a feeling "ol heads" are the minority these days. Heard the Miami show was cool sans J-Ro.