PROVEN Spider Repellents ?

Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
edited September 2012 in Strut Central
It's that time of year when our house turns into spider city, and this year it's kicking off big style.

Anyone know of any proven/tested methods for keeping the sneaky muhfuggas out?

Two that I already know dont work are:

1. Plug-in ultrasonic repellers - Actually put a spider in front of one of these and he didn't give a fuck.

2. Conkers - Put a bunch down and released a spider, who crawled all over em not giving a fuck.

Oddly, I can't find any real scientific tests or studies online so far..

Paece!

Comments

• Don't know if you want to go this route, but letting some Geckos loose in your place will work.

This approach has some drawbacks, however.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• shitty, i cant recall the stuff we used around our house but it was the shit, spray spray dead the next day! i killed every spider around my place in a few days left them crusty and dried up the next day, i left a few spots because its good to have a few spiders around, mosquitos in this area are tougher than a mutha.

bought it from the local Canadian Tire, but i saw the same stuff at Home Depot, Rona and Kent its like $8.99 a can.

i'll post a pic of it when i get home in a few hours...

• batmon said:

Such a classic.

• Scorpions

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    Do you know what species of spider they are? Srs q. Some species are very resilient. Treatmemt can vary.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

• osage oranges

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    80's music.

- spidey

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I believe the historically recognised treatment for catching a spider is a bird, but then you have to get a cat to catch the bird, a dog to catch the cat and eventually a cow to catch the dog.

So you have to ask yourself, which is going to be more disruptive to your living situation, several spiders or a cow?

• J i m s t e r said:
    Do you know what species of spider they are? Srs q. Some species are very resilient. Treatmemt can vary.

They are Tegenaria Domestica aka house spider.

I.e. these muthafathers:

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    Those ultrasonics do work on house spiders, we get very few and those we do are probably in the midst of, y'know, doing one out the door. We got ours from Australia. Ours ticks every second or so. Been running 12 years! Apparently you may see increased spider presence for the first few weeks as they decide to move on, but not much after.

• Man, between this thread and the bedbug thread from way back when, I'm beginning to think you guys either have some serious pest issues or major paranoia. I've never had many critter issues and I live in the desert!

Though peep this, the other night I came from my weekly gig. It was about 4am and my roommate had forgot to leave the porch light on so it was pitch black out front. After a minute or so of fumbling with my keys while holding my record bag and mixer, I unlocked the door, closed it behind me, dropped my bag on the floor and headed straight to my room. Next morning I woke up and found this:

Pretty sure dude was camped out between my screen door and my main door and tried to sneak in when I opened it. Crazy!

• damn man, thats nuts, i dont mind snakes at all, but i cant stand spiders, for some reason we seem to have loads of them around our house, i must kill thousands every year with that one shot stuff, i dont know why we seem to have an abundance of em but we do...little nests of them about the size of a quarter, we get about 20 of them a year on our house and around our property in the spring...first year we lived here, we had shit loads of spiders, coming home at night and going through the front door is crazy, waving your hand in front of the door type shit...and running though the doorway while its opened..lol. i smoke my herbs outside, during the day not so bad, at night, there are spiderwebs all over the place in the most random locations..always walking into them somewhere, then ya get all paranoid that you have spiders on you now..

bastards!

• Surprisingly, chickens. We have friends that got chickens and they basically ate most of the spiders (and a lot of other insects) around the outside of the house and thus less spiders in the house (there is a zone of chicken death)...

• I would kick my roomate out for that faux pas. HATE snakes!

• Saracenus said:
    Surprisingly, chickens. We have friends that got chickens and they basically ate most of the spiders (and a lot of other insects) around the outside of the house and thus less spiders in the house (there is a zone of chicken death)...

I can co-sign this, our chickens ate Funnel Web Spiders (deadly) like candy.