Vinyl Bars and Record Marathons

pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
edited August 2012 in Strut Central
I am DJing a morning set in 24hour all-vinyl marathon going down in montreal this weekend
(http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/74474/)

in a bar that was bought by a friend and transformed into a Vinyl Bar
The place has a nice vibe it's always great DJs or bands (that play selections from their collection later on)
there is a nice terrasse, BBQ and weedsmoking is conveniently overlooked

I always thought it would be a great spot for a SS reunion but my question in this thread is the following

Have any of you ever participated in anything like this?

&

Any other bars in the world dedicated to 100% vinyl

The day before the owner is doing a 12hour set but the 24 hour concept is the 5th edition

SS fam Amir performed in the last edition (held at a local shop) and they plan on moving it to Toronto and NYC so I wanted to gauge interest as well.

100% vinyl discussion in this thread no anto's 99 problems or paul ryan discussion to be had

Comments

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I used to dj there.
    Haven't been there since they got new (thankfully!) owners and re-vamped the place.
    I've heard it's looking/sounding pretty good.

excited to go back.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I love that it's opening up at 8am

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    cove said:
    I love that it's opening up at 8am

I'll probably be spinning some mellowness at that time
    with 3 peoplepresent + my wife
    hash spliff and a latte just the way i like it

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    deadly!
    there's a party at my place on Saturday night, so if it goes deep deep, maybe i'll come by in the morning for some chillroom vibes.

who owns it now?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    seb fauteux
    you can tune in online and enjoy your hangover breakfast as well

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Cool idea! I would definitely check something like that out of its happening in Toronto!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    pcmr said:
    I am DJing a morning set in 24hour all-vinyl marathon going down in montreal this weekend
    (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/74474/)

in a bar that was bought by a friend and transformed into a Vinyl Bar
    The place has a nice vibe it's always great DJs or bands (that play selections from their collection later on)
    there is a nice terrasse, BBQ and weedsmoking is conveniently overlooked

I always thought it would be a great spot for a SS reunion but my question in this thread is the following

Have any of you ever participated in anything like this?

&

Any other bars in the world dedicated to 100% vinyl

The day before the owner is doing a 12hour set but the 24 hour concept is the 5th edition

SS fam Amir performed in the last edition (held at a local shop) and they plan on moving it to Toronto and NYC so I wanted to gauge interest as well.

100% vinyl discussion in this thread no anto's 99 problems or paul ryan discussion to be had

Has anybody participated in anything like what? Weed Smoking? Yeah, I've done that, but not for a long time.

There was a spot here in Portland that sold drinks and vinyl called Hall Of Records.
    Regrettable they closed. Too much drinking, too little record collecting.
    To my embarrassment I twice spun 1/2 hour sets there. Cleared the room.

• djwaxondjwaxon 411 Posts
    A Vinyl-only bar sounds like a really good idea/USP, I bet people eat it up.

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    Lots of vinyl only bars in Japan - I remember being in the Blue Note Bar in Kyoto, and the owner letting us rifle the vinyl in the cabinet he kept on the bar. Lovely.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

Has anybody participated in anything like what?

a vinyl decathlon or something with long continuous sets

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    On a semi tangent there's a new bar that opened in Sydney by some guys that used to run Mojo Records.

Basically its a record store at the front and a basement bar at the back...interconnected and the liqour license applies to the whole place so you can sip some beers while digging thru the crates. I can see that place doing something similar down the line (maybe not 24hrs as they close at midnight).

http://mojorecordbar.com/

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I need to pay Montreal another visit one of these days. Make it happen.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Possum Tom said:
    I need to pay Montreal another visit one of these days. Make it happen.

seriously...the city is ripe for this right now
    i've been trying to holla at the cat who booked amir,rich medina, etc for a pl70 related booking for quite some time and
    he just joined up with the 24hours dude for a monthly that would fit the bill
    with Dj Day's album coming up or even dolo we need to get this to work
    I am checking in with them tonight so I will let you know