Introduction thread

Ricky ForcefieldRicky Forcefield 88 Posts
edited August 2012 in Strut Central
Yeah hello. I'm 35 from Southern UK, been into Hip Hop since 86/87. Records wise pretty normal, only digging things I can tell you is going to that Greenpoint spot in 2002, and I have quite a big Reggae collection. Used to buy sets off a guy who would buy lots off old Soundmen, but it made me a bit sad.

I have started painting Graf again after a break of about 10 years. My 6 year old son is on it too (no forcing it on him tho)

Funnily enough I know a poaster who briefly became infamous on here for calling you a bunch of cunts (PAP related) You can tell I've been lurking for a long time.

I saw Leo Sayer getting a coffee in Waterloo station a few weeks back, asked him for a photo but he was bout to get on the Eurostar and didn't want to. I told a white lie and claimed my son was named after him but he wasn't having it.

Thriller > Off The Wall

simply because Thriller was a huge part of me and my friends' childhoods.

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Welcome.

Which town?

We have southern UK repping for Wales, Colchester, Oxford, Canterbury, Cornwall, Brighton, Bristol and various parts of London. Apologies for any area missed out.

• skel said:
    Welcome.

Which town?

We have southern UK repping for Wales, Colchester, Oxford, Canterbury, Cornwall, Brighton, Bristol and various parts of London. Apologies for any area missed out.

definitely not Southampton

Portsmouth it is then.

One hour to Waterloo, we'll expect you at the next meet.

• skel said:
    Portsmouth it is then.

One hour to Waterloo, we'll expect you at the next meet.

Indeed. I used to live in London 97-2002, good times.

Going to Carnival Monday

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Ricky Forcefield said:
    skel said:
    Welcome.

Which town?

Pompey revealed.

• DocMcCoy said:
    Ricky Forcefield said:
    skel said:
    Welcome.

Which town?

Pompey revealed.

yes I know what John Westwood smells like

Ricky Forcefield said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    Ricky Forcefield said:
    skel said:
    Welcome.

Which town?

Pompey revealed.

yes I know what John Westwood smells like

Do they still hate Scousers in Portsmouth?

Be careful how you answer this. ;-P

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Join the 'Strut fantasy league or your (sic) soft.

• DocMcCoy said:
    Do they still hate Scousers in Portsmouth?

Be careful how you answer this. ;-P

no not particularly, no more than normal people.

why do/did we hate scousers?

Ricky Forcefield said:
    no more than normal people.

I like your style.

I think it's to do with the bad old days of the 80s, when many of my fellow citizens were encouraged to get on their bikes and look for work. Some of them cycled as far as Portsmouth, where they ran out of road. Those who settled sent the local crime rates for burglary, drug-dealing, mugging and shoplifting through the roof, earning them the lasting enmity of the locals became immediately popular thanks to their cheeky Liverpudlian humour and happy-go-lucky attitude, making a valuable contribution to the community in the process.

• DocMcCoy said:
    Ricky Forcefield said:
    no more than normal people.

I like your style.

I think it's to do with the bad old days of the 80s, when many of my fellow citizens were encouraged to get on their bikes and look for work. Some of them cycled as far as Portsmouth, where they ran out of road. Those who settled sent the local crime rates for burglary, drug-dealing, mugging and shoplifting through the roof, earning them the lasting enmity of the locals became immediately popular thanks to their cheeky Liverpudlian humour and happy-go-lucky attitude, making a valuable contribution to the community in the process.

I don't think we had a particular influx of Scousers in the 80s, might be a Tebbit-related urban myth. Thing is Pompey has always had a mix of Northerners etc from the amount of sailors that marry local and settle down, particularly Geordies.

There is a vortex in Portsmouth that draws people in, and they can't leave. It's the uni with the highest retention rate too. My parents were from Bristol, went to the Poly, and never left. It's not quite shit enough to run screaming from and nowhere near exciting enough to do your head in so I suppose quite a comfortable place.

I did kick a scouser out of moving taxi in Portsmouth once though, but that's another story.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Cool Name. Welcome

Oops...

The waterfront bit with bars and restaurants is good fun, and that shabby hovercraft service shuttling to IoW is gloriously low-rent.

The ferry port is fucking huge though. It's like a city inside a city.

• batmon said:
    Cool Name. Welcome

Oops...

thanks, I enjoy your postings.

why oops?

• skel said:
    The waterfront bit with bars and restaurants is good fun, and that shabby hovercraft service shuttling to IoW is gloriously low-rent.

The ferry port is fucking huge though. It's like a city inside a city.

yeah Gunwharf, it's ok. Very Portsmouth though in the way we're promised modern shopping facilities and it turns out to be outlet stores. And it's generic, none of the hard-nosed charm of true Portsmouth.

The stretch to IOW is like the most expensive stretch of water to cross in the world I think. It's weird over there.

Not sure how huge the ferry port can actually be, Portsmouth is a small area, most densely populated area in Europe for its size I believe. But I haven't been in there since I was 11.

Fuck records, I'm happy to talk about Peeeeeeeeeoooooooorttmufff all day

• depends related? he's one of the older guys.
    i love the hail mary, "but Leo, i named my son after you!" do you think he gets that a lot???

• tripledouble said:
    depends related? he's one of the older guys.
    i love the hail mary, "but Leo, i named my son after you!" do you think he gets that a lot???

The Sayer is tiny tiny tiny, I know that's no surprise and everyone says that about people but yeah

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    And this would be the RIGHT way to introduce yourself. Welcome.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    depends related? he's one of the older guys.

I believe he actually opened with "You've got a cute way of walkin'..." but got the gas-face.

I hope the Sayer gets that all the time because, by all accounts, he's a nasty little shit.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Welcome!

• tripledouble said:
    depends related? he's one of the older guys..

i was trying to explain batmon's "oops"

damn, the sayer is nasty? he seems so huggable on the endless flight cover. and so mysterious on thouse other trenchcoat covers. it would be ill if he had sharpened little teeth in his little head and when you asked him for photos he hissed at you and blood dripped out his mouth

I asked if you liked Thriller/OTW without finishing your first post.

I deleted and wrote oops......

War Vs. Mandrill

• batmon said:

War Vs. Mandrill

you know what I thought you had, because you always come through with that question.

I enjoy War more, but consider Mandrill better, make sense?

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    Senor Soul

Ricky Forcefield said:
    batmon said:

War Vs. Mandrill

you know what I thought you had, because you always come through with that question.

Ha...Slick answer!

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Ricky Forcefield said:
    Yeah hello. I'm 35 from Southern UK, been into Hip Hop since 86/87. Records wise pretty normal, only digging things I can tell you is going to that Greenpoint spot in 2002, and I have quite a big Reggae collection. Used to buy sets off a guy who would buy lots off old Soundmen, but it made me a bit sad.

I have started painting Graf again after a break of about 10 years. My 6 year old son is on it too (no forcing it on him tho)

Funnily enough I know a poaster who briefly became infamous on here for calling you a bunch of cunts (PAP related) You can tell I've been lurking for a long time.

I saw Leo Sayer getting a coffee in Waterloo station a few weeks back, asked him for a photo but he was bout to get on the Eurostar and didn't want to. I told a white lie and claimed my son was named after him but he wasn't having it.

Thriller > Off The Wall

simply because Thriller was a huge part of me and my friends' childhoods.

Now THIS is a proper introduction. Welcome to the club.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Welcome! AND a Sayer story to boot! +1

• batmon said:
    Ricky Forcefield said:
    batmon said:

War Vs. Mandrill

Ha...Slick answer!

yeah completely, but true. I used to party, and I partied more to WAR but Mandrill are 'better'

most new Hip Hop depresses me, and I don't mean just the Flacka Wayne blah blah but everything from earnest Euro man stuff to nouveau boom-bap is just meh. I like the shock of the new. I was deep involved in 'UK Hip Hop' when that was what it was when it really was what it was. I'm into Grime and kept up with that as a genre but you get people saying that peaked in 2004. I'm still excited by bits and pieces like Starsky x Trim 'DPMO' but the last LP I bought was Friends 'Manifest!'

I love my Reggae and Dancehall and liking the new electrobashy sound but ultimately this is my sh*t

• ok last thing here is my Leo's current progression taking out toys (I did the 3D on the second one but after seeing him do the mouth he's ready on the next one) when he can hold a can in one hand he'll be dangerous

and here are my records

little dude.

broke wires on my Project turntable and have to use USB one

:why must I cry?:

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Welcome