Hamster Style

dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
edited August 2012 in Strut Central
any dudes here rock this style?

been watching videos of "non-hamster" style dudes and its crazy watching someone do what you do accept backwards...i set up my first set of turntables in 1990 backwards because i was POSITIVE thats what dj's did in order to use two turntables to mix back and forth.

when i first started playing shows i used to bring a screwdriver with me in order to flip the crossfader as 2 1200's and a DJM500 was the norm in clubs around here (hamster switches were a luxury item back in them days)

Comments

• Options
    dj_cityboy said:
    .i set up my first set of turntables in 1990 backwards because i was POSITIVE thats what dj's did in order to use two turntables to mix back and forth.

I started the same way in 2000, changed to normal and now I don't use the crossfader at home.

• i use the fader reversed, i also scratch with my right hand on the platter, left hand fader... i seem to be one the of the few people who do this.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    BearClaw said:
    changed to normal

wait...hamster is normal isnt it? lol...its weird when people refer to it as being normal, although i dont know the number of dj's, i would figure there would be far less dj's who dj "hamster style" no?

• Options
    :gremlin in Tv:

Yeah I agree with you. I still read from right to left, haven't changed that...yet.

::):

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    BearClaw said:
    changed to normal

wait...hamster is normal isnt it? lol...its weird when people refer to it as being normal, although i dont know the number of dj's, i would figure there would be far less dj's who dj "hamster style" no?

Hamster style = reverse. (Fader all the way left queues the right turntable/Fader all the way right queues the left turntable)

I keep my fader set up in the standard (NON hamster) fashion. Also, fwiw, my left hand is on the fader.

Lots of dudes rock hamster style...especially people who have their left hand on fader/right hand on deck. (See Q-Bert as one of the most known examples of that)

Typically, people who have their left hand on the fader is due to the fact they are left handed and typically the fader hand has the most complicated moves/patterns speeds.