Visiting Memphis, TN

mateomateo 163 Posts
edited August 2012 in Strut Central
gonna be in memphis for a few days and wanna get some killer BBQ. also suggestions for maybe a safe place to spend the night, hotel wise.
grazie

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    BBQ...top three IMO:

Cozy Corner...just outside of downtown on North Pkwy

BBQ Shop...in a part of town called Midtown, a couple/three miles east of Downtown on Madison.

Paynes...on Lamar, in a kinda rough part of town, hours depend on the sun, closes at dusk.

Ignore reccomendations of the Rendezvous, famous BBQ place downtown, it's alright but no where as good as the aforementioned spots and it's a tourist trap...meh

Hotel-wise, any place downtown, midtown and out east...North and South Memphis is where I would avoid.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Which is the one with photos of celebrities all over the walls? I went there and thought the ribs were great. Burt Reynolds photo was cooler than 2 x Clinton visits imo.

Duderonomy said:
    Which is the one with photos of celebrities all over the walls? I went there and thought the ribs were great. Burt Reynolds photo was cooler than 2 x Clinton visits imo.

Rendezvous.

The_Hook_Up said:
    Duderonomy said:

Rendezvous.

D'oh!

:sonned:

I hope Frank Voodoo Funk doesn't mind me saying that I took him and his wife to both the BBQ Shop and Cozy Corner and they both gave it 2 thumbs up...and we all know Frank can be kind of particular about meat.

• mateomateo 163 Posts
    Thanks all.... BBQ shop looks delish.... What about central BBQ? Anyone know?

mateo said:

Central is alright, I am not a fan of their sauce...but they give a lot of $ to the radio station where I work, so I can't write them off, they are good people, but there is much better BBQ in town. I have to mention Cozy Corner again...get a plate of rib tips and you would be hard pressed to find a better BBQ experience anywhere in the USA.

• mateomateo 163 Posts
    Yes I will be grinding on the tips....

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    mateo said:

Central is alright, I am not a fan of their sauce...but they give a lot of $ to the radio station where I work, so I can't write them off, they are good people, but there is much better BBQ in town. I have to mention Cozy Corner again...get a plate of rib tips and you would be hard pressed to find a better BBQ experience anywhere in the USA.

I had Central when I was there a couple summers ago. I REALLY loved it, and we all split some pulled pork nachos that I still think about years later.

That said, this thread is making me want to go back. Getting some more Gus's Fried Chicken would be worth the airfare alone..

Went to the new Tom's BBQ on 51 in Southhaven yesterday, and I liked it a lot. Does it get Teh Hookup thumbs up? Also went to the Bass Pro pyramid. Not one for those with a fear of heights, but cool views from up there.