Ask Pickwick #947

skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
edited August 2012 in Strut Central
Random questions while we have P****** around.

Is there any record you would consider paying fifty bucks for, grip and flip not allowed?

Have you ever signed autographs after a show, and speak on groupie action,

Which original soul/funk act made the most shameful grasp of the disco dollar, in your opinion?

Do you write songs, and if so, what's the title of the biggest crowd pleaser?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Who are your Top 3 Black Mothers on a TV Show?

Did you play Softball in Chicago without gloves?

Have youe ever played a Hip Hop song while rockin a party?

Favorite Black Family Group.....any Genre?

Robert Cray Yay or Nay?

Top 3 Blaxploitation Sistas and Villains?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    skel said:
    Random questions while we have P****** around.

Is there any record you would consider paying fifty bucks for, grip and flip not allowed?

The only one that comes to mind are either of the Churls albums on A&M. From what little I've heard, this is prime late-sixties hard rock action. And even then, I'm sure these albums would turn up cheaper than fifty bucks.

Have you ever signed autographs after a show, and speak on groupie action,

No autographs. Once Andre Williams recruited me to play harmonica behind him, and some lady visiting from out of town propositioned me, after staring me down the entire set. We wound up getting hot & heavy in a nearby empty doorway. Similar results from a lady at one of my own band's gigs, except that she lived in town and I approached her first. Other than that, my action at any shows I've done were from dates I brought there in the first place...

Which original soul/funk act made the most shameful grasp of the disco dollar, in your opinion?

Earth, Wind & Fire. Coming after Gratitude, the Spirit album was a major dropoff.

Yep. Started writing songs because I knew I couldn't go on covering old garage/rockabilly/R&B songs forever. You can hear my song, "One Times One Ain't Two," on Rockin' Johnny's new album:

I'll probably address Batmon's question later, if he's still out there...

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Rad. I need to take this all in.

Come on people of SoulStrut, ask Pickwick.

batmon said:
    Who are your Top 3 Black Mothers on a TV Show?

#1: Theresa Merritt on That's My Mama. She was loving and kind, but still took no shit from no one. Esther Rolle from Good Times is #2. Can't think of a third.

Did you play Softball in Chicago without gloves?

Yep. Never was much of a sports guy, but if I did play softball as a child, I don't remember gloves being involved.

Have youe ever played a Hip Hop song while rockin a party?

Nope. We've been working a lot of weddings lately, and I'm just now making mild attempts at disco...

Favorite Black Family Group.....any Genre?

The Chambers Brothers. But if we gotta restrict it to kids and teens...Jackson Five and early Sylvers.

Robert Cray Yay or Nay?

Definite "nay." He's a little too bland for me. And I don't mean Bobby "Blue." Kinda liked him back in the 80s, but not anymore.

Top 3 Blaxploitation Sistas and Villains?

The sistas blur together after a while. I remember the actresses, but not the roles. So judging from that angle...Anazette Chase, Pam Grier (of course), and Vonetta McGee.

The villians really are a blur, although the guy who shot Goldie's mama in The Mack stands out. (Dick Anthony Williams?)

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Pickwick does Disco???? Come one man, we are supposed to resist that stuff........ don't do it........
    ha ha
    also lol at the Andre Williams story

holmes said:
    Pickwick does Disco???? Come one man, we are supposed to resist that stuff........ don't do it........
    ha ha

Heh! No, it's usually some guilty-pleasure 45 that I might have laying around, like Peter Brown's "Dance With Me" or Foxy's "Get Off." But other than those diversions, I'm still the disco-hating Pickwick you always knew! And I only bust those out at the weddings, never in the club.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    pickwick33 said:

We wound up getting hot & heavy in a nearby empty doorway.
    SO GOOD. I SEE LIGHT RAIN, DANK YELLOW SODIUM STREET LIGHTS, STRAY PASSERS-BY LOOKING UP MOMENTARILY THEN HUNKERING BACK DOWN INTO THE OVERCOAT FOR THE SOLITARY PAVEMENT STARE

Earth, Wind & Fire. Coming after Gratitude, the Spirit album was a major dropoff.

GENE CHANDLER FOR ME. DUKE OF EARL TO GET DOWN = GTFOOHWTBS

Yep. Started writing songs because I knew I couldn't go on covering old garage/rockabilly/R&B songs forever. You can hear my song, "One Times One Ain't Two,"

THERE'S NO ARGUING WITH THE TITLE - AND BELIEVE, I SEARCHED THE WEB LOOKING FOR A BRANCH OF MATHS WHERE YOU ARE WRONG, BUT NADA

GENE CHANDLER FOR ME. DUKE OF EARL TO GET DOWN = GTFOOHWTBS

Gene Chandler came to mind, as did Edwin Starr with that jiveass "Contact" song. That lyric about the girl looking good in her halter top in Gene's "Get Down" song makes me cringe...

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    pickwick33 said:

Gene Chandler came to mind, as did Edwin Starr with that jiveass "Contact" song. That lyric about the girl looking good in her halter top in Gene's "Get Down" song makes me cringe...
    yeah that Gene Chandler record is awful. Thankfully I've never heard that Edwin Starr "Contact".