Flamenco records?

mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
edited July 2012 in Strut Central
Please to school me?
Have had a passing nterest in this stuff for a while now and want to start digging in a bit deeper.
I know most Flamenco records are dollarbin pap...but what are a few solid records in the genre that might be had cheaply?

Stuff like this:

Comments

• Options
    John Williams is great.

I like Rodrigo: Adagio from Concierto de Aranjuez for Guitar and Orchestra.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Manitas de Plata - lots of cheap records, nearly all incredible but the 60s and early 70s recordings are the ones.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    For brakes (Yo) Jan Davis.

What's on the youtube, essentially Andalusian folk music, with vocals and passion is kinda hard to find.

For virtuoso guitar, there is plenty, Montoya, De Lucia are both great and dollar bin common.
    Though spending a few dollars for the mint copy is worth it.
    Often found in the classical guitar section, which is where you will find John Williams and Segovia.

All of those lack the vocals, and the passion of the clip above.

Pick up any music of Andalusia on Folkways, Monitor, Fontana...
    I have Misa Flamenca on Phillips which is nice. You have seen Missa Luba, Congolese mass, on Phillips, this is part of that series.

These were also often marketed as Gypsy music, or Spanish music.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    I discovered El Camaron de las Islas a few years back and managed to socre some of his LPs...hard to track down... but worth it. Hauntingly beautiful voice and on some of his later stuff he got a bit more experimental, mixing trad. flamenco styles with more modern insturments and styles.

And Paco de Lucia was his guitarist for a long time.

Also, theres a great (self titled) movie on Camaron's life thats worth checking out if you see it around.

One of my favourite all time songs....

• Options
    Hey,

Sabicas is not too bad.