Bleeker Bob's documentary

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I "digged" in there TWICE.

Couldnt mess w/ the vibe and selection. And this was the 80s.

They and Rock & Soul were on some smug shit when it came down to Hip Hop BITD.

R&S kicked out the House cats and gave into the Beats Yo dudes.

But me and my boy ran up in BB To find some overpriced Bootleg Prince steez.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I went in there once in 2000 and saw a 'Honeysuckle Breeze' on the wall. $350. Laughed, and moved on.

• last time i stopped in there he had a copy of joe farrell "upon this rock" priced at $75.00... place was a tourist trap.

• skullsnapsskullsnaps 138 Posts
    Bleeker Bob's was pretty much a joke, but I did catch a few nice 45s in there in the late 80s.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Had an afternoon to shop in the Greenwich Village in the late 80s.
    Seem to remember not spending much time at BB.
    Bought some stuff at a place called Venus (?).
    Tower had a huge cut out store and spent most my time there wishing I had more than $20-30 to spend. Tons of Folkways.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Went once in the early 90s and the ambiance was so grim that the gap between arrival and departure was about three minutes.

Dude had paper swabs stuck to his face to stem a random selection of shaving cuts.

• this documentary stinks.. and that guy Javier stinks.. i'm glad they're going out of business. record nazi fucks

• first Neu! reissue on the wall for $150. GTFO. Weird how Greenwich Village shops cater solely to crusters, mid-life crises, and tourists looking to bring home a souvenir. The remaining spots must have some pretty favorable lease terms.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    A telling moment:

When the guy sadly laments the demise of the record store...all while pricing these common, everyday rock LPs.

I know one man's steak is another man's baloney, but that was one boring stack of albums he was pricing (Kansas!), and they'd need more than that to keep the customers coming back.

If any of those longplayers were retailing for more than $6, no wonder the store is in trouble.

• I was there in the late 90s and haggled him down on some old school hop hop 12"s (Fearless 4 and shit like that) but still probably paid a little too much.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    Just a month or two back i found an original promo copy of Ashford & Simpson "One More Try" 12" for $5...this is a $300 and was one of my most wanted 12"s...so yeah...don't ever dig there!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    crazypoprock said:
    Just a month or two back i found an original promo copy of Ashford & Simpson "One More Try" 12" for $5

I wish that was in the documentary

Kansas LPs for $10, $$$ loft disco 12"s for $5. This is why a store goes out of business.

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    This is why a store goes out of business.

exactly. frankly, it should have happened years ago.

the funny thing is that if one didn't know anything about records and one saw that manipulative, maudlin documentary, one would likely come away with the impression that the closure is due to the fickle, cheap, greedy, soul-less public and changing economic times rather than their horrible business practices.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    crazypoprock said:
    Just a month or two back i found an original promo copy of Ashford & Simpson "One More Try" 12" for $5

I wish that was in the documentary

Kansas LPs for $10, $$$ loft disco 12"s for $5. This is why a store goes out of business.

yes, good point! although to be fair i imagine a lot of their business is tourists coming in looking for super common rock titles...but i have no idea. i just know that i find stuff there every now and then that makes me happy...but usually i walk away empty handed.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    This is why a store goes out of business.

exactly. frankly, it should have happened years ago.

the funny thing is that if one didn't know anything about records and one saw that manipulative, maudlin documentary, one would likely come away with the impression that the closure is due to the fickle, cheap, greedy, soul-less public and changing times rather than their horrible business practices.

I saw another doc, think it was called The Last Record Store, some kinda thing.
    Featured store was closing cause they lost their lease, but the doc was about record stores closing because of the fickle, cheap, greedy, soul-less public and changing times.

We don't need these docs. We don't need docs that show record collectors as pathetic losers (even thought we are).
    We need docs that show that records are a viable music format that people still use.

Weekly I hear, "A record store, I didn't know there were any left. Does any one still listen to records".
    Even though Portland has more than 20 record stores.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    That T.J. lady talked with her hands in the most annoying way. :nagl: