Isn't it hard to say what the best Nam flick is?

2»

Comments

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    First Blood will probably always be my favorite for many reasons.
    Good movie, but def not in the running for 'best Nam flick'.
    I just love it.

Did anybody see Tigerland?
    :shitty: :talib: :hated_it:

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    tabira said:
    The roulette scene is also a fucking good metaphor for the lottery of the war. In jungle war, any one could have been picked out at any time. It must have felt like that permanently. It has to be one of the single most powerful scenes in movie history ever. Your stomach is knots until they finally break out and it's like a "Whoooosh" of adrenalin. Debating whether it happened or not is legitimate for reasons of historical accuracy I guess but cinematographically it doesn't alter the power of that scene and the sheer horror it conveys.

Pretty sure all war is a lottery in the sense that you mean, especially today. cf. IUDs.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    BallzDeep said:
    Never read the Nam book, any good?

Yes.

And might as well read this one with it...

"Dispatches," includes the joke from a napalm squad, "Only We Can Prevent Forests." War humor in a nutshell...

Herr cowrote Full Metal Jacket, and you can clearly hear that in lines like, "What about women and children?" "DON'T LEAD THEM AS MUCH!"

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

And might as well read this one with it...

One of the best war books I've read.

Also, this is a great, harrowing read about lrrp's - small recon teams dropped behind enemy lines in nam - left to survive on their wits.

amazon link

this was actually a really good short run comic

I remember liking this flick:

But my fav nam movies by far are Platoon and Apocalypse Now. Cant beat em.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Danno3000 said:
    tabira said:
    The roulette scene is also a fucking good metaphor for the lottery of the war. In jungle war, any one could have been picked out at any time. It must have felt like that permanently. It has to be one of the single most powerful scenes in movie history ever. Your stomach is knots until they finally break out and it's like a "Whoooosh" of adrenalin. Debating whether it happened or not is legitimate for reasons of historical accuracy I guess but cinematographically it doesn't alter the power of that scene and the sheer horror it conveys.

Pretty sure all war is a lottery in the sense that you mean, especially today. cf. IUDs.

fixed

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    What's the deal with Coming Home in a Body Bag? Never heard of it until now and then couldn't find any info on it online.

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Nevermind. Figured it out.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    NerdAlert said:
    NerdAlert said:
    What's the deal with Coming Home in a Body Bag? Never heard of it until now and then couldn't find any info on it online.

Is it a movie within a movie?

Yes, True Romance.

do I look like a beautiful blonde with big tits and an ass that tastes like French vanilla ice cream?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    BallzDeep said:
    do I look like a beautiful blonde with big tits and an ass that tastes like French vanilla ice cream?

You...you want me to suck his dick? Oh, who the fuck is Dick!"

You...you want me to suck his dick? Oh, who the fuck is Dick!"

maybe the funniest part in the movie.

Anybody see the making of AN called Heart Of Darkness?
    :raw:

I love what Coppola says about AN...
    My film is not about Vietnam. It is Vietnam
    :hard_as_fuck:

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Hearts of Darkness is amazing. There are so many mindblowing factoids that add immeasurably to the actual movie.

Beyond the much-publicized financial troubles FFC experienced (studio abandoned him, he put up his house, etc) there's also:

- Sheen's being actually drunk when king fu fighting in his room, punching the mirror an accidentally cutting himself.
    - Philippine military requisitioning the choppers to put down a rebellion, delaying filming for weeks.
    - Young Sophia running around the set.
    - Brando showing up 100 lbs overweight, causing FFC to have to totally re-imagine Kurtz' character.
    - Brando's lines being essentially adlipped gibberish which was pieced together out of order in post-production
    - Hopper, etc...

The making of that movie was an incredible story.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I always thought it bittersweet that, rather then the cluster-fuck that was the making of Apocalypse Now, it was actually the twee One From the Heart marked the end of the Coppola golden period.

HarveyCanal said:
    Full Metal Jacket is an adaptation of this book...

This is out of copyright at the moment so pretty easy to track down on web/app sites for free. Was interesting reading it years after originally seeing the film.

Out of all of them I'd always most happily return to Apocalypse Now but, considering the theme of the films, don't know if that's an indication that it's the best.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Junior said:
    I always thought it bittersweet that, rather then the cluster-fuck that was the making of Apocalypse Now, it was actually the twee One From the Heart marked the end of the Coppola golden period.

HarveyCanal said:
    Full Metal Jacket is an adaptation of this book...

This is out of copyright at the moment so pretty easy to track down on web/app sites for free. Was interesting reading it years after originally seeing the film.

Out of all of them I'd always most happily return to Apocalypse Now but, considering the theme of the films, don't know if that's an indication that it's the best.

Surprised that this is out of copyright - I thought just about everything published post 1964 had retrospective copyright protection, whether it was originally registered or not. Either way, great that it's available online because finding a copy for a decent price is not easy. Some of his sci-fi fiction is very collectable.