Olympic question for the Brits

DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
edited July 2012 in Strut Central
Do you guys field a basketball team? I can't picture a British basketball team. But I want to. Or is it all just footy and cricket?

KNOWLEDGE ME

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

ENCYCLOPEDIC KNOWLEDGE ME

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

ENCYCLOPEDIC KNOWLEDGE ME

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    There have been at least two Brits that played in the NBA.

Rockadelic said:
    There have been at least two Brits that played in the NBA.

Slick Rick and Seal, right?

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Never really caught the public imagination here but I suspect we have a national team somewhere comprising two NBA pros and a gaggle of pimply 15 year old giants.

Flomotion said:
    Never really caught the public imagination here

Yeah, it's seems kind of strange???the continent look like it's somewhat into basketball, but then I pictured our counterparts across the pond playing and it just didn't seem to fit.

But you do have a baseball team, right?

Look, DB, they only want our soul records and to tell us better than we know ourselves what we're really about. They aren't interested in basketball and baseball. Okay?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    This is netball played by men, right?

Meh.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Flomotion said:
    Never really caught the public imagination here

Yeah, it's seems kind of strange???the continent look like it's somewhat into basketball, but then I pictured our counterparts across the pond playing and it just didn't seem to fit.

But you do have a baseball team, right?

Baseball?That's just rounders with hats.

HarveyCanal said:
    Look, DB, they only want our soul records and to tell us better than we know ourselves what we're really about. They aren't interested in basketball and baseball. Okay?

Well, I saw this show on the Travel Channel the other day saying barbeque is the hot new thing in London these days, so I figured maybe they were finally picking up the finer elements of American culture. Like baseball. And Van Halen.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    is the UK olympic team "UK" or are there separate teams for England, Wales, N Ireland and Scotland, like in international soccer (and what's up with THAT BTW?)

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    It's the Great Britain for the oh lim pics, but separate countries for soccerball and the Commonwealth Games.

I presume it's got something to do with money. Say England, Wales, N Ireland and Scotland between them can scrape together half a dozen world class cyclists, it makes much more sense to pool cash, facilities, expertises together, than for each to have their own. It also gives them/us more chance of winning stuff.
    Obviously soccerball being big over here, they don't have worry about stuff like that.

I'm pretty sure we have a Great Britain mens netball team. Not that anyone cares.

got it.

Raverdance.

is there a difference btwn UK and "Great Britain?" And which one is the right appellation for the Olympics?

these are the questions that demand answers.

rootlesscosmo said:
    is there a difference btwn UK and "Great Britain?" And which one is the right appellation for the Olympics?

these are the questions that demand answers.

Wait, wait I know this.

United Kingdom is all the countries and principalities in the British Isles, which includes the baller tax haven hangouts like the Channel Islamds and the Isle of Man, plus the mad Wicker Man bits like The Orkneys and the Scillies. But not the bit of Eire that we graciously gave back to Paddy and thems.

Great Britain is all the above but minus the bits that are patently not great, like Wales, Essex and a part of east London known as West Ham.

• KadinkKadink Mainstream hip-hop is losing its street edge 98 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    is there a difference btwn UK and "Great Britain?"

Great Britain is the one island that includes England, Wales, and Scotland. The United Kingdom includes Northern Ireland.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    skel said:

Meh.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    This won't last long.

skel said:

Meh.

I thought you just made netball up until someone mentioned it at work yesterday. I'm glad there's a milder alternative to the rough-and-tumble world of women's basketball.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    is there a difference btwn UK and "Great Britain?"

HarveyCanal said:

Let's play 'spot the dude w/ one arm'

Hmmmm.
    More difficult than it appears.

skel said:

Let's play 'spot the dude.

Hmmmm.
    More difficult than it appears.

Ha!

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    I was just trying to find the 2008 Opening Ceremonies thread, where one of the UK Strutters was making jokes about how bad the 2012 open was going to be by comparison...

I just heard mention of 40 Mary Poppins dropping on a giant Lord Voldermort.

It was like they saw the future...

• Tear it up yall. I wish I was there.

Predictions back in 08 included iirc Jimmy Page throwing rock god shapes w/ low slung Les Paul atop a 40 feet high concrete podium in the Roman style; a convoy of red double decker buses; a hush descending upon the stadium and a moon-haloed Paul Weller being lowered from the sky by nearly-invisible ropes, strumming an acoustic and playing "That's Entertainment"; and finally, a torrential downpour and rain-streaked camera shots of middle aged couples in windcheater ponchos pouring a nice cuppa from their Thermos.

The last one is one the cards, the sky is heavy with water.

And Danny Boyle has put the show together, so any fucking thing could be on the agenda.

Anyways the sport commenced a couple of days ago; someone start a thread already whydontcha