Source of this Break ??

HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
edited July 2012 in Strut Central
Hi, i found this break on a 20 year old DJ compilation with no info about the original source of the break.

Please help.

http://www.divshare.com/download/19132047-fce

Peace
Hawkeye

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Hawkeye said:
    Hi, i found this break on a 20 year old DJ compilation with no info about the original source of the break.

Please help.

http://www.divshare.com/download/19132047-fce

Peace
    Hawkeye

Was about to say funky drummer, but it's subtly different. Or have they just added brush on the cymbals and extra ride on the snare? Everything else sounds a lot like funky drummer.

Short answer: don't know.

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    No it's not Funky Drummer, I checked it.

Its very similar sounding, could be that it is another James Brown break, but not Funky Drummer.

• but it's defintiely the funky drummer pattern. i don't know the answer by my guess is some modern re-recording.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Erm...that is "The Funky Drummer", the fadeout break.

Comes in at @ 8:55

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Like I was saying, it's definitely the funky drummer!
    :lol:

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    m_dejean said:
    Erm...that is "The Funky Drummer", the fadeout break.

Comes in at @ 8:55

It still amazes me that more people didn't touch this part. Paul C and Howie Tee both rocked it great (for "Give the Drummer Some" and "I'm Special Ed" respectively), but other than that, it was largely ignored, it seems.

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    OK, thats the explanation. I only checked the classic break because I own the short single version.

The long version was first released in the 80s, but I think most producers used either the single or the UBB version of Funky Drummer which was a short version too and released in 1986.

But thanks for clearing that up !!!