For the Brits - Stone Roses Reunion Shows

bsuwolfbsuwolf 83 Posts
edited July 2012 in Strut Central
Did any of the Brit strutters make it to the Stone Roses Reunion concerts at Heaton Park last weekend? If so, give a review.

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    bsuwolf said:
    Did any of the Brit strutters make it to the Stone Roses Reunion concerts at Heaton Park last weekend? If so, give a review.

Some good friends saw them at Heaton and Dublin independently.

They said both shows were great. Beady Eye supporting them.

My views on Brown and his Chinese Restaurant etiquette are well-known.

If they were playing in my garden, I would draw the curtains.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Not remotely interested. I can enjoy the first album, Fool's Gold and a handful of other tunes without ever feeling any need to get involved with that ridiculous "GREATEST BRITISH EVERYTHING EVAR!!!111eleventy" pile-on. That's like the critical equivalent of a fucking clown car.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    Srs doe, I was in Manc at the time it blew up for them and never could believe the hype. "Folls (sic) Gold" was ok but the rest of their material was staple indie-fayre. I think they made a smart move by ditching the shoegazing wardrobe and dressing from Afflecks but the titles bestowed upon them as a band and as individuals seem remarkably myopic, then and now.

Best drummer ever.
    Best guitar player ever.

etc.

I understand it's all subjective but there's a hint of the Peter Sellers character in "Being There" about their good fortune. Ride it boys but don't believe it.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    About 10 people in my office went, mostly for fun - everyone said fantastic atmosphere and terrible sound but since the crowd sang over every song it wouldn't have mattered anyway. The general consensus was that if it hadn't been at Heaton Park the buzz wouldn't have been as good but that it was still the best live Stone Roses show they've ever done anywhere, and that's coming from some real grizzled old industry cynics. Even freebies and the lure of a nice hotel weren't enough to get me to go this time.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Wouldn't go without a promise of the Roses playing at least one of their songs backwards.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Wouldn't go without a promise of the Roses playing at least one of their songs backwards.

Funnily enough, I heard they did Don't Stop exactly as it is on the album. Fuck knows how, but apparently they did it.

• beezerholmesbeezerholmes Edinburgh 59 Posts
    Stone Roses fans are the worst people on earth, i think i would rather go to see David Guetta.

I had to play at an Ian Brown after show party a couple of years ago and the crowd celebrated me playing My Bloody Valentine by cheering, shaking the decks and throwing beer all over me. A bunch of them trashed a local hotel, looking for Ian Brown and his band after the gig too.

Word from my friends who went to see the Stone Roses was that they played really well though. The Heaton Park gig with everyone throwing cups of urine around sounds par for the course for those fans.

I just feel sorry for the young guns that were all excited to go and see them for the first time, having to stand with 40/50 yr old football casual looking guys, starting fights and farting their stinking coke farts all night. I am guessing there would have been a nice selection of vintage Adidas gear on show.