edited July 2012 in Strut Central
Still can't make a good one

Dragged in the middle

Got cheesy at the end

And too much goddamm love story

Give it a 6 out of 10 for passable

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Not sure I wanna see Spider-man yet. Best movies I've seen this past month have been.

Oh, and my Thursday night involved these gems at the theater...

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    on the Moonrise Kingdom - best Wes Anderson in a while.

• djwaxondjwaxon 411 Posts
    Wasn't groundbreaking but I enjoyed it. Main issue for me is that before he was Spider-ised, he was still a bit confident/cocksure, rather than the socially awkward nerd which Toby Maguire locked down.

The 3D useage was good though, and CGI was the most impressive I've seen.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    im waiting on this one

b/w

didnt take long for bad foriegn indie film strut to takeover again

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i am not on dark knight alert for this one
    and since i lost nothing refusing to watch the last one i can hold out and reviews like this are not helping
    but i loved Dr.Connors as a character
    also

batmon said:

didnt take long for bad foriegn indie film strut to takeover again

HA. The posting of one film is not a "takeover" dude. And trust me, it's not bad... It's better than much of the crap that has been released as of late.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Big spidey comic fan, but I can't be bothered to spend $8.75 on a "reboot" that only came out a few years after the first series ended and is clearly just cashing in on the whole comic move craze. He has home made web slingers and we see how his parents die.....yawn.

• I've always loved Spiderman and I've watched each film in the theatre. This one was a new "spin", with the homemade web-shooter (literally, his web shoots like a pistol) that I'm just gonna have to get used to. This Marvel movie had the best Stan Lee cameo yet! I also believe Andrew Garfield played Spidey better than Tobey McGuire. You be the judge...

Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    I've always loved Spiderman and I've watched each film in the theatre. This one was a new "spin", with the homemade web-shooter (literally, his web shoots like a pistol) that I'm just gonna have to get used to. This Marvel movie had the best Stan Lee cameo yet! I also believe Andrew Garfield played Spidey better than Tobey McGuire. You be the judge...

How are going to get used to the web-shooters if thats been his usual way of spinning webs?

Is the Toby McGuire Spider-Man your first introduction?

• batmon said:
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    I've always loved Spiderman and I've watched each film in the theatre. This one was a new "spin", with the homemade web-shooter (literally, his web shoots like a pistol) that I'm just gonna have to get used to. This Marvel movie had the best Stan Lee cameo yet! I also believe Andrew Garfield played Spidey better than Tobey McGuire. You be the judge...

How are going to get used to the web-shooters if thats been his usual way of spinning webs?

No it isn't, I've watched Spider-Man cartoons, read the comics and I know of the orgin of how he dispenses the web. I didn't like it at first and it took me a little while to stop complaining during the movie, but I can see the potential.

Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    batmon said:
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:

No it isn't, I've watched Spider-Man cartoons, read the comics and I know of the orgin of how he dispenses the web. I didn't like it at first and it took me a little while to stop complaining during the movie, but I can see the potential.

I dont understand. Youve read the comic and seen the toons and you were surprised by web shooters?

From 1962 to 2002 he used web shooters. And they changed shit up for one 5 year trilogy.

Whats the confusion? Did the Trilogy make you think thats the definitive Spider-Man?

Did u think Mary Jane predates Gwen Stacy?

• batmon said:
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    batmon said:
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:

I dont understand. Youve read the comic and seen the toons and you were surprised by web shooters?

From 1962 to 2002 he used web shooters. And they changed shit up for one 5 year trilogy.

Whats the confusion? Did the Trilogy make you think thats the definitive Spider-Man?

Did u think Mary Jane predates Gwen Stacy?

You are looking way too far into it, I just said that I had to get used to the way he "shoots" this web, that's all. I enjoyed the movie, did you? What is your definition of the defining Spider-Man movie? I love the Hulk as well and I enjoyed all three of those. But my preference for whom should play the Hulk is Mark Ruffalo over Eric Bana or Edward Norton regardless of the director's vision.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Re-boots are soft.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Spiderman has always kinda sucked regardless of vintage...it has always been more of a love story than a super hero story...yawn.

• The_Hook_Up said:
    Spiderman has always kinda sucked regardless of vintage...it has always been more of a love story than a super hero story...yawn.

Well, he was a teenager... When spidey-senses tingle... they really tingle...

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    volumen said:
    I can't be bothered to spend $8.75

For me, the sticking point would be figuring out how to travel back in time to 1995 to watch this movie.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    saw it last night and it was a good time. not a great movie, but fun stuff.
    the web slinging through the streets was stellar, you really got that vertiginous sense between each successful swing.
    i liked the doc connors character, but it could have been developed a little bit more and been a little less hulky. in the books, i dont remember him ever growing to such epic proportions. he almost always had his labsuit on (albeit in tatters). small quibbles.

what were all the city lizards doing? they were all congregating in a very concerted fashion, never to be heard from again.

how did doc set that lab up so quick? did he have interns help him bring all those cardboard boxes of equipment down into the sewers?

it was fun seeing Dennis Leary as the cop dad.
    flashes bullying was a little over the top, but it served its purpose. but no one at the school raised any eyebrows when peter made a running dunk from the three point line? fun scene nevertheless.

good stuff.but not great. toby maguire had the character down a little better, but this dude was ok. a little to skateboarder/loner cool. peter parker is supposed to be a big nerd!!

no JJJameson?

and it was super corny, but kindof got me choked up when the hardhat got all the rigs in line to help spidey out. reminded me of the other supercorny/but still choked-me-up scene when new yorkers stepped in front of Doc Oc on the subway to protect spidey

Arent skaters the new nerds?

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    I watched it and I enjoyed it. I think it could have been better with less love story junk and more recognition that Peter Parker basically got a bunch of people killed and caused a lot of damage because he gave that formula to Dr Connors.

I really liked the fight scenes because his fighting seemed a lot more like Spiderman from the cartoons and less like some fast kid with punches and kicks. I thought that was a lot better. I prefer the web-shooters too. much cooler.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:

Oh yeah, I can't wait to see the movie about you!

- spidey

Just saw it.

Nice reboot for what theyve intended.

Peter is less classic nerd and more just outsider.
    The Lizard was done very well.
    Incorporated the new Parkers Parents bullshit into the mythos.
    Didnt repeat the Responsibility Mantra....same shit but not overt.
    The Spiderman Physics were upgraded.
    Web shooters were a nice return to the classic character.
    I liked the more lens look of the masks eyes.
    Gwen Stacy was cute as a button.

BUT......

Overall the shit was wack.

Way fuckin too much love story. And it was awkward with no chemisry IMO.
    I dont wht they continue to dwell on his female counterpart.

Batman and Iron Man have enough sexual tension and love shit without making it the focus of their films and women still enjoyed them, so i dont wanna hear about the pandering to the date demographic bullshit. A good third of the flick is Peter and Gwen. WTF?
    They made a trilogy with that shit already and they actually went in more with this shit.
    If i could just skip all that family and love shit and start the movie with him against the villain, i would be fine. A half an hour CGI TV show.
    And i saw the shit in 3d IMAX and there was hardly reason for 3D. I bet one could easliy have enjoyed the web swinging and dizzyness in 2D.

Just give me a damn Spider-Man movie. Not Peter Parker The Spectacular Spider-Man.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Is Wes Anderson making another Wes Anderson Movie in which Wes Anderson Actors play Wen Anderson characters doing Wes Anserson things again? Perhaps with some great Wes Anderson dialog?

I have an idea. Jonny Depp and Tim Burton should do the same movie over and over again. OH wait.

If Adam Sandler can make the same movie over and over again, why can't spiderman?

Personally, I don't get very many opportunities to watch a movie in the cinema, so I will be saving my precious time for Batman, and it had BETTER NOT SUCK.

And I thought the whole point of this new spiderman is that this time spiderman was going to be mexican? Surely I did not just imagine that whole thing?

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Can't wait to not see this, even on cable. Same thing goes for Savages.