Looks like Dusty Groove raided the Tribune Company

white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
edited June 2012 in Strut Central
Did they snag WGN's archives or just the Chicago Tribune's promo stuff? Not sure. In any event, looks like an OK haul.

From their Facebook page:

Comments

• +/- 80 boxes of records and the best shit you have to floss is bjorn jayson lindh and masterfleet? i am grueled just thinking about it.

• tokyobeatstokyobeats 505 Posts
    give me a haul of that many records in one go and I'll be as happy as a pig in shit for days...............regardless of whether I come up or no

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I'm no big aficionado of Brazilian music, but I didn't know that Jorge Ben had an LP released in the US in the sixties.

I see his LP is on the Four Corners label, which was Kapp's "world music" subsidiary...

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I wouldn't expect anything too raer, but it looks like a great???and fairly comprehensive???listening collection.

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Could be some amazing shit in there. who knows. I wonder how much they dropped for it

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Bowie, Common People, Duncan Browne raers, looks pretty respectable to me!

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    I'm no big aficionado of Brazilian music, but I didn't know that Jorge Ben had an LP released in the US in the sixties.

I see his LP is on the Four Corners label, which was Kapp's "world music" subsidiary...

He has at least two.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Hells Belles OST is alright. Maybe no "mythical private press raers", but not 80 boxes of straight chud either, from the little I see.

Kindly,
    parallax

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Not to stir up any inter-web gossip or anything....but i bet Craig Morer is a bit jealous of this haul.
    Seems like the kind of thing that he should have been onto.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    Well for store stock that looks like a pretty good haul just from those few pics. I'm sure they haven't even touched the surface on all of those boxes either.

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Perhaps there is a certain bell-less record in there...

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    maru said:
    store stock

Just wondering,
    what wouldn't be store stock, for example?

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    BallzDeep said:
    maru said:
    store stock

Just wondering,

ha. actually, this looks like a promo only score.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    BallzDeep said:
    maru said:
    store stock

Just wondering,

well there's a difference between good store stock and chud stock. the stuff they posted is the type of stuff that will likely sell fast.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    maru said:
    likely sell fast.

For a shop. On a whole, you'll likely sell 20 $5.00 records a hell of a lot quicker than 1 $100 record.

rape_donkeys said:
    +/- 80 boxes of records and the best shit you have to floss is bjorn jayson lindh and masterfleet? i am grueled just thinking about it.

The average price per record in those photos is about $50, and several of those titles kick ass.

Next time your being "grueled" like that, let me know and I'll take over.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Nice One!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Dante said:
    BallzDeep said:
    maru said:
    store stock

Just wondering,

ha. actually, this looks like a promo only score.

Yeah, I would guess those were albums sent to the Tribune to be reviewed? In that case they'd likely be promo copies that have only been played a few times at most.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    rape_donkeys said:
    +/- 80 boxes of records and the best shit you have to floss is bjorn jayson lindh and masterfleet? i am grueled just thinking about it.

The average price per record in those photos is about $50, and several of those titles kick ass.

i think $50 per record in those photos is crazy talk... however id love to sell my records to you directly if those are the prices you see in those photos!

jinx74 said:
    Horseleech said:
    rape_donkeys said:

i think $50 per record in those photos is crazy talk... however id love to sell my records to you directly if those are the prices you see in those photos!

The Bowie alone is $300.
    Hells Belles = $150
    Lyn Collins = $100
    Donald Austin = $100
    Yardbirds (if promo) = $200
    The Scott Walker, Lee Hazlewood, Jorge Ben and Them, all hold up the average.

My figure is the truth, and if you have records like these, by all means sell them to me!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    While it might not be super rare we have acquired a nice collection of some tasty little groovers. We have that funky soul mama, Lynn Collins and a original copy of her LP featuring the furious godfather-produced funk of "Think", always a number that gets us moving. Since the sun is hot here in the windy city, be sure you get your samba-groove on with the steamy rhythms and memorable melodies of the great Jorge Ben, our favorite Brazilian groove-master. Also, these boxes are stacked as high as our favorite funky Swedish meatball bjorn Jason lindh is tall with an LP full of slinky Scandinavian flute funk! We are still unpacking boxes while we listen to our favorite little steppers here at HQ, so check back soon to what other delicious funky gems we will soon grade and sell to you with our slightly reluctant hyperbole!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    DOR said:
    maru said:
    likely sell fast.

For a shop. On a whole, you'll likely sell 20 $5.00 records a hell of a lot quicker than 1 $100 record.

These days it's a lot easier to sell one $150 record for $100 than 10 $15 records for $100

b/w

Any way you look at it this was a nice haul......not sure how it compares to the other 8,000 LP buys from major city newspapers, but in 2012 this is a Top Ten score........haters are jealous......I'm jealous.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    rock, top ten for the year?
    i like this concept and would love to read details about the rest of the top ten.
    im not being sarcastic, just trying to live through the success of others

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    While it might not be super rare we have acquired a nice collection of some tasty little groovers. We have that funky soul mama, Lynn Collins and a original copy of her LP featuring the furious godfather-produced funk of "Think", always a number that gets us moving. Since the sun is hot here in the windy city, be sure you get your samba-groove on with the steamy rhythms and memorable melodies of the great Jorge Ben, our favorite Brazilian groove-master. Also, these boxes are stacked as high as our favorite funky Swedish meatball bjorn Jason lindh is tall with an LP full of slinky Scandinavian flute funk! We are still unpacking boxes while we listen to our favorite little steppers here at HQ, so check back soon to what other delicious funky gems we will soon grade and sell to you with our slightly reluctant hyperbole!

flawlessly hilarious

i too want to be regaled with tales of large scores

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    jinx74 said:
    Horseleech said:
    rape_donkeys said:

The Bowie alone is $300.
    Hells Belles = $150
    Lyn Collins = $100
    Donald Austin = $100
    Yardbirds (if promo) = $200
    The Scott Walker, Lee Hazlewood, Jorge Ben and Them, all hold up the average.

My figure is the truth, and if you have records like these, by all means sell them to me!

uhh, where are you pulling this pricing out of? that lyn collins is not a $100 record. $100 for donald austin is on the very high side. even for ebay pricing, which is like 30% higher than an expensive shop.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Doesn't Horseleech help run Academy? Not exactly pulling these #s out of the ether, I'm assuming. Maybe it's just NY inflation.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    Doesn't Horseleech [strike]help run[/strike] own Academy? Not exactly pulling these #s out of the ether, I'm assuming. Maybe it's just NY inflation.
    lyn collins=$50
    donald austin=$50 to $75
    outside of boutique shops

in nyc stores both those records sell well at close to a hundred tho

mannybolone said:
    Doesn't Horseleech help run Academy? Not exactly pulling these #s out of the ether, I'm assuming. Maybe it's just NY inflation.

Yes I do, and these prices are a *bit* high, but not unprecedented. I've sold white label promos of Think for $100 and the Donald Austin used to go for over $100 years ago, though I never understood why (except for maybe Funkadelic completism).

But yeah, now I'd sell them for less than $100.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    rock, top ten for the year?
    i like this concept and would love to read details about the rest of the top ten.
    im not being sarcastic, just trying to live through the success of others

The problem with this is that the folks who make these type of scores don't typically floss it online because there are too many jealous haters that can screw up their deal, even after the fact.

I know of one score so far this year that would make most Strutters heads explode but am not at liberty to give details for a variety of reasons. Cherry picking 200K records and pulling 6,000 hundred buck and up pieces.

But 80 hundred count boxes of clean LP's would almost certainly be in any Annual Top Ten (in the U.S.) since 2000.