big Mingering Mike update

Secret_ChimpSecret_Chimp 915 Posts
edited August 2005 in Soul Strut
I'm very happy to announce that I just signed a book contract for a Mingering Mike book!It'll primarily be an art book, but also included will be text written by myself, Neil Strauss who wrote the NYT article last year, and Jane Livingston, who wrote the seminal book "Black Folk Art in America" in the early 80s. It'll be published by Princeton Architectural Press , a small publishing company which puts out really beautiful books. Put simply, this book is going to be very, very dope. We anticipate that it will be released some time next summer.ALSO, the website (mingeringmike.com) is up and running. Big BIG thanks to Delay who did a fantastic job with it (and who put up with my anal revisions like a champ). On the site there's a gallery where you can check out album covers, 45 labels, and even listen to some Mingering recordings. Be sure to sign up for updates so that we can let you know about any new developments.AND THERE'S MORE! Stay tuned for a Mingering Mike 45 to be released in collobaration with none other than our bad ass Vanguard Squad. All of the artwork will be original, even the labels. It'll be just what he dreamed of when he made the cardboard record. Big thanks to Bambouche for all his help in transferring the reels and in offering to put out the 45.Mike's beside himself with all of this and can't believe any of this happening. I can't tell you how good it feels to tell him about all the interest in his work and in the projects people are proposing. His face lights up every time.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Neil Strauss? Where are the homies, son?

You get no butt, dog.

(J/K! Congrats!)

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    Totally Fucking Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    This is really cool.

• Neil Strauss? Where are the homies, son?

I did actually plan on asking you write the intro.. Nothing personal homie! Neil expressed interest and he's a great writer. Plus his name will attract a lot of people. He's real excited to write for the book.

• You guys will get a kick out of this. I found the following scribbled on a piece of paper tucked inside one of the album covers. I like to call it "Minger's 12 Record Commandments":

1. Kill if anyone scratch my records.
    2. Records are my 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. love
    3. I bet yours will scratch and skip before mines.
    4. My records are shinnier than yours.
    5. Who said I was a recordholic.
    6. Whew it's time for me to rest before I go just let me play my beat.
    7. When my record skipped that threw me from my baby's lip's.
    8. And now Big D's mad, "but because of that he won't play no more of my records so I'm glad.
    9. When the heat dies down, I'ma play a week of James Brown.
    10. You better leave town, if my records can't be found.
    11. I'm the man from R-E-C-O-R-D-S.
    12. Tell me which is worse- _________ (can't read this) dime, Big "D"s mind or me pressing a record sale sign.

Locations anyone?

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Does Mike have a nice "real" collection?

• congrats man.

pap (princeton architectural press) is one of my favorite book publishers. granted as an architect i would buy a lot of architecture books, but still they always make really beautiful books.

can't wait to see the final product.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Locations anyone?

• Dope.
    Montreal has some love for Mingering Mike.
    Rock ON!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

• that is great! definitely looking forward to the book and one of these:

AND THERE'S MORE! Stay tuned for a Mingering Mike 45 to be released in collobaration with none other than our bad ass Vanguard Squad. All of the artwork will be original, even the labels. It'll be just what he dreamed of when he made the cardboard record. Big thanks to Bambouche for all his help in transferring the reels and in offering to put out the 45.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    You guys will get a kick out of this. I found the following scribbled on a piece of paper tucked inside one of the album covers. I like to call it "Minger's 12 Record Commandments":

1. Kill if anyone scratch my records.
    2. Records are my 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. love
    3. I bet yours will scratch and skip before mines.
    4. My records are shinnier than yours.
    5. Who said I was a recordholic.
    6. Whew it's time for me to rest before I go just let me play my beat.
    7. When my record skipped that threw me from my baby's lip's.
    8. And now Big D's mad, "but because of that he won't play no more of my records so I'm glad.
    11. I'm the man from R-E-C-O-R-D-S.
    12. Tell me which is worse- _________ (can't read this) dime, Big "D"s mind or me pressing a record sale sign.

Locations anyone?

just let me play my beat

Yes, indeed. Here's to learning what brands of scotch tape don't hold up after thirty years. And here's to refresher courses in noise gates, archival tape, and hiss reduction. That day was like being on a deserted island and watching a blip on the horizon turn to a bottle with a note in it that eventually floats ashore and reveals, "I'm into some new shit now." We've been rocking out to Mingering Mike around the house for a few months now, and it only gets better with each listen. So next level with his I can't tell if popping the cork now is still too early...

Tsega and I are both honored. This 45 is gonna be boss. Mike is aces on the mic. His beatboxing rivals the best of them.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I haven't kept up with this story, but have the songs on the tapes been released, or are scheduled for release?

If not, one suggestion: DO NOT COMPRESS IT!

Thank you.

• I haven't kept up with this story, but have the songs on the tapes been released, or are scheduled for release?

If not, one suggestion: DO NOT COMPRESS IT!

Thank you.

Not yet, but a full length CD will definitely be released.

We've also been considering a sort of tribute album where different groups or producers or whatever perform his songs. He seems to like that idea.

• congrats man.

pap (princeton architectural press) is one of my favorite book publishers. granted as an architect i would buy a lot of architecture books, but still they always make really beautiful books.

can't wait to see the final product.

Thanks! PAP puts out all kinds of cool books.. They did "Cocinando" and another nice one that's all 45s. They're real excited about the project.

Not yet, but a full length CD will definitely be released.

We've also been considering a sort of tribute album where different groups or producers or whatever perform his songs. He seems to like that idea.

Cool. Again, NO COMPRESSION. And I wouldn't mind contributing to that.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I'm guessing that if "SOULSTRUT" isn't in big letters on the thank-you page and press release, the cats here will come to your house at night, drag you out of your bed, and cut you to death with broken 45s.

Judging from the, um, spirited nature of past threads.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Again, NO COMPRESSION.

I think compression is the least of worries at this point. Longterm archival storage and back-up, transfer, splicing, editing, and cataloging will be the real challenge.

This is home recording, and any novelty use of "studio toys" would sound horribly out of place (read: "Please, NO echo's"), not to mention the one-off takes were recorded so hot that they are naturally compressed by way of overload.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    honored

nuff said

• I'm guessing that if "SOULSTRUT" isn't in big letters on the thank-you page and press release, the cats here will come to your house at night, drag you out of your bed, and cut you to death with broken 45s.

Judging from the, um, spirited nature of past threads.

Don't you worry about that. Soulstrut will get its props! And you'll notice that Soulstrut is mentioned on the homepage of the website.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

<<< Thx for the location too, D***.

I think compression is the least of worries at this point.

Actually in terms of archiving it PROPERLY, it is.

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    I AM GOING TO BUY A COFFEE TABLE TO PUT THIS BOOK ON

Great work you guys.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    congrats d**i! this looks awesome.

• looking forward to this.

good to hear vanguard quality will be involved too

doing it right fellas!!!!

-props from philly

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    mayor williams has to declare a mingering mike day !
    a city/national treasure
    d**i is dude

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Big BIG thanks to Delay who did a fantastic job with it (and who put up with my anal revisions like a champ).
    AYOOOO!

nah man, no problem... seriously. It was an honor just to be involved. I've been up close and personal with all the artwork, and let me tell you...It's so serious. The pictures in Wax Poetics and on here, do not and cannot do the artwork justice. It's something that has to be experienced in person, three dimensionally. Dori, thanks for the opportunity to work with a part of history.

• Big BIG thanks to Delay who did a fantastic job with it (and who put up with my anal revisions like a champ).

AYOOOO!

Woah, that really does sound bad! Hahaha.

Thanks for your help man, its truly appreciated.