Soul Strut 100: # 67 - Curtis Mayfield - Curtis/Live! (1971)

2»

Comments

• SoulpowerSoulpower 204 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    The stripped-down, stark presentation of these songs is what makes the LP amazing and makes these versions the definitive ones IMO.. There really isn't another 70s soul LP (aside from another live LP, Bill Withers' Carnegie Hall) that is so stripped down and not propped up by strings, keyboards, big backing vocals, etc. So good.

I agree ... it demonstrates how superb the songwriting is if still sounds good at the most basic instrumentation.

• This album is one of my all time favorites in any genre. Everytime I listen to this album, I can close my eyes and it feels like you are right there as they are performing.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    one of my absolute favorite records. this is the first time im a little surprised that a record isnt higher up the list. i could have seen this being top ten.

The strange thing is, I'm not a great fan of live albums in general. I'm an audiophile and persnickety as far as musical playing goes, but "Curtis Live" is special and an exception. It's deviation from the original and looseness are the LP's main charms (e.g., the banter with the crowd on "Stone Junkie"), and I appreciate the inclusion of the album on the Soul Strut 100. I agree with Tripdubs that it should be higher on the list, but oh well.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• batmon said:
    Unherd said:
    batmon, there's a rhino version from 2000 remastered with bonus tracks

"Exact miniature replica of the LP, limited edition 1,500 copies. Recorded live at NYC's Bitter End in 1971, this is the Curtis album. It just doesn't get any better than this. Includes 'Stone Junkie,' 'People Get Ready' and 'If There's A Hell Below, We're All Gonna Go.' 24 bit digitally remastered. Sunspots. 2002. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title."

And it sounds lovely.

Sweet_Premium said:
    Fantastic record! The version of Makings of you is just beautiful!

Yes!