FAO subjects, colonials etc

DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,785 Posts
edited June 2012 in Strut Central

Up in this bitch.

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    If you truly believe in equality, then you cannot realistically believe in the notion of a monarchy. Nor, indeed, in any other system which permits ascent to power through birthright.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

"Where's my colonials at?"

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,785 Posts
    Bilderberg conference sounds like a bigger social injustice than a politically neutered monarchy. Much bigger measurable injustices going on in the world, and every time I hear the word belief, it's usually followed by some inexcusable bullsh*t.

I agree with your view Doc, but my republicanism is tempered by the alternatives I see elsewhere.

To quote another Briddish institution, [Westwood] Bow down and kiss the ring [/Westwood].
    :-P

Duderonomy said:
    I agree with your view Doc, but my republicanism is tempered by the alternatives I see elsewhere.

To which I would respond; even if we acknowledge that the quest for true equality is unlikely to ever be fulfilled, this doesn't mean we have to live in the shadow of totems and figureheads that represent the exact opposite.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Duderonomy said:

To which I would respond; even if we acknowledge that the quest for true equality is unlikely to ever be fulfilled, this doesn't mean we have to live in the shadow of totems and figureheads that represent the exact opposite.

Doesn't the Monarchy have a 70% - 80% approval rating?

If so, that would probably make it the most popular governing entity in the world.

If that's what the people want, why shouldn't they have it?

Anyway, all that shit - monarchy, Bilderberg, whatever - is a distraction. We're getting tucked up from all sides.

To wit...

It's one thing for the Royal Family to be sucking a small fortune out of the public purse, but when a big chunk of that is bankrolling the Duke Of Jam Butty and the Duchess Of Jam Roll...sorry, but fuck that.

• This weekend I've found myself less bothered by the royal family than by the the millions of flag waving morons.

I'm told that these millions show just how much support and love there is for the queen, but when an equal number of millions go out on strike then it's all damp squib this and vocal minority that.

Really though, all these excessive displays of Britishness are a fucking embarrassing.

• Horseleech said:

If so, that would probably make it the most popular governing entity in the world.

Except that they don't really govern in any discernible way. If they did, and they had to take responsibility for policies and laws that were passed, you can be sure that they would have nowhere near as high an approval rating. Can you imagine a governing royal family pushing through austerity measures, slashing benefits and public services while pocketing public money to fund their royal lifestyle?

Things will change once she kronks it. No way Charles will be King. And William seems sensible enough not to want it. So who knows, the role may diminish further with whomever sits next.

Horseleech said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    Duderonomy said:

If that's what the people want, why shouldn't they have it?

(As a minor point of order, the Royal Family don't actually govern. The Queen is a constitutional rather than absolute monarch.)

Yes, the monarchy is massively popular. It would represent the most spectacular case of political suicide anywhere in the world, possibly ever, if a British government were to undertake the kind of constitutional reforms aimed at abolishing the monarchy.

However, that doesn't mean we all like it, or want it, or should keep quiet about the fact because the received wisdom states that to do otherwise is somehow unpatriotic.

The monarchy infantilises us. On occasions like this, the British public turns en masse into a bunch of forelock-tugging, flag-waving lickspittles, all too happy to buy into the centuries-old notion that some people - in this case, a family whose bloodline isn't even British to begin with - are "better" than the rest of us, simply by virtue of birth. The current House Of Winsdor barely has an A-Level to its name - there are kids who grew up in relative poverty on some of the grimmest, most deprived sink estates in the country that are educated to a higher standard than the British Royal Family.

Just to be clear, I'm not that much of a Bolshevik that I think they should all be strung up along The Mall. But I hope I live long enough to see the back of them one way or another.

Republicans here would make a lot more headway if they weren't all so sanctimonious, po-faced, utterly miserable bastards who look and talk like they've never had an ounce of fun in their lives.

B/w asking to choose between said miserablist's sour boat versus pic of William n Kate beaming from ear to ear on a gilded barge...even sink-estate smart-but-feral anti privilege and chips on both shoulders like me know which is the more attractive option.

skel said:
    Republicans here would make a lot more headway if they weren't all so sanctimonious, po-faced, utterly miserable bastards who look and talk like they've never had an ounce of fun in their lives.

B/w asking to choose between said miserablist's sour boat versus pic of William n Kate beaming from ear to ear on a gilded barge...even sink-estate smart-but-feral anti privilege and chips on both shoulders like me know which is the more attractive option.

And that's when ya lost.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The King of America:

HarveyColonial

Honorary Brit, iirc.

If her Maj didn't, Philip would approve ;)

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Don't all you all have that Austerity going over there.

How does one accept austerity and funding the royal family at the same time?

That said, the Queen and her dad scored high points with my mom during WWII.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    forelock-tugging,

????????????

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    there are kids who grew up in relative poverty on some of the grimmest, most deprived sink estates in the country that are educated to a higher standard than the British Royal Family.

Sounds like equality to me!

(sorry, I'll go now)

Forelock tugging is an emotive hark back to days when the lower classes would bow head and tug at cap, hat or a front lock of hair when anywhere near the vicinity of social superiors.

But anyone struggling to understand the acceptance of the privileged monarchy versus the pain of austerity needs to make the case of their cost versus tourist income.
    Then there are intangible add-ons like the (never used) monarchic veto meaning no government has absolute power, and how this plays into centuries of stability and the economic benefits that brings.

Believe, this model ain't going away for a long-assed time.
    Because no-one can call it either way.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    I'd rather have a King or Queen. Get rid of elected officials. Since for the most part they just do their damage and then sit back and don't take any blame once they are out of office. Only to use their former title to get them a job in some firm that they did favours for in the past.

At least with a monarch you always know who you are pissed at and that doesn't change from year to year. Which is why most governments continue to screw over the people. Every few years a new leader or government comes into play and people actually believe they will be different.

Mind you, my thoughts on having a monarch only really works if the people can rise up when they are really pissed and chop off heads...

Truth be told, the British monarchy still makes sense on just a tourism level. The amount of money that is made on a whole, is far greater than what they cost the public.

I had a convo with someone yesterday. Who was going on about Beckham being overpriced and past his prime. But refusing to grasp the concept that in the MLS he still pulls in big numbers. He puts people in the seats and is more valuable in the grand scheme of things, than what they pay him. The same is true with the royal family. Until the day comes that they are no longer a money making machine, there will be a Royal family.

• does anybody know where i might find some garish collector's plates celebrating this auspicious event?

• I find this both hilarious and disgusting... "Unemployed bussed in to steward river pageant" - http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jun/04/jubilee-pageant-unemployed

neil_something said:
    I find this both hilarious and disgusting... "Unemployed bussed in to steward river pageant" - http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jun/04/jubilee-pageant-unemployed

Loyal-subjects-of-the-crown-R

Duderonomy said:

"No sportswear, hats or hoods. Ladies free B4 10. 2 for 1 offers on selected beers and spirits. ROAR."

The lunatic fringe look for any excuse to have a barney.
    We know this.

Kids and helpers doing a jubilee street party are not nazis.

This cherry picking of events on the far outskirts of sane behaviour to make a point is a bit bizarre, IMHO.

I don't know what your point is, actually.

skel said:
    The lunatic fringe look for any excuse to have a barney.
    We know this.

Kids and helpers doing a jubilee street party are not nazis.

This cherry picking of events on the far outskirts of sane behaviour to make a point is a bit bizarre, IMHO.

I don't know what your point is, actually.

Not really cherry-picking anything. I just thought it represented an interesting echo of the events of 35 years ago, when any statement or gesture which went against the prevailing orthodoxy ran the risk of meeting a hostile response. Quite often from people who believe themselves to hold the monopoly on patriotism too. What a long way we've all come since then, eh?

I'm all for letting the kids enjoy their street parties. Ditto the republican types. The very last thing I'd ever want to do is spoil someone else's fun. So long as I can sit the whole thing out, unmolested and in peace, we'll all be happy.