Curtom vs Philly International

DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
edited June 2012 in Strut Central
Curtom vs Philly International

they both had an emphasis on the sweeter side of soul but i think most would agree Curtom had more of a funk edge while PIR probably steered deeper into traditional R&B and disco moves, although both labels had their moments in each style.

im not real sure who sold more records or who had bigger inventory. i believe Curtom was official in 68, PIR 71.

i feel like most opinions will swing toward Curtom but a lot of folks were riding for Philly in the PIR thread so im wondering how they stand in comparison.

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    My definition of traditional R&B would give the edge to Curtom.

Curtom was lead by artist, songwriter, producer, guitarist Mayfield, who had an original and distinct style.
    PI was lead by producer, songwriters, whose style (I would say) was less distinctive.

Curtom had the more 'organic' sound, emphasizing guitars and congas and more prominent rhythm sections.
    PI had a more produced sound emphasizing orchestrations.

I think PI had more hits (I am guessing many more).
    PI (I am guessing) had more artists.

For me, Curtis, Hutson, Baby Huey, Donny Hathaway* trump Pendergrass, Sigler, Intruders, O'Jays.... Looking at that sentence I can not endorse it.

Two different labels with two different sounds.

*OK, just one 45 I think, but still associated.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    My definition of traditional R&B would give the edge to Curtom.

they were a bit earlier and the Curtom name was thrown around in the Impressions mid 60s era so it makes sense. although i think Philly still presented a continuation of that style but in a 70s mindset and when you talk about dudes like Billy Paul and Sigler thats very much real R&B.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I'd probably give the edge to Philly Int'l, since their catalog is much deeper, despite the fact that they started three years after Curtom.

when you talk about dudes like Billy Paul and Sigler thats very much real R&B.

Maybe Sigler.

Not too sure about Billy Paul, who had one foot in jazz (and a definite MOR aura overall).

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Curtom for sure.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Curtom is tops for me, but I place it near the top of the heap against any label.