Latin Dudes - Please school me on Papo Lucca

disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
edited May 2012 in Strut Central
I just heard Celia Cruz' "La Ceiba" and was really blown away by Luccas pianowork (and production). Out of dudes collabo & solo output what have you guys filed?

Edit: Releases of Luccas group "La Sonora Ponce??a" included.

Comments

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Off the top of my head Conquista Musical - a mid-70s Sonora Poncena LP not a solo project but nice piano on there, too . Terrible cover art and maybe a slightly too commercial sound, depending on your tastes, but I like it.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I usually grab Inca titles just to check out, but SP ones don't really stick around that long. I think Aldo de Locura is one LP I still have.

Their S/T from 1972 has Como Mango which is pretty good and written by your dude

If you like the sound you need Colombian Salsa in your life. Starting with the Latin Brothers and Joe Arroyo. 80s output is dollarbin and often sounds like 70s PR stuff.

• There are worthwhile tunes on almost all of the LPs with the fantastical cover art, and you can usually pick them up for cheap. Check out the killer version of Night in Tunisia on New Heights--someone gave this the re-edit treatment lately with great results:

The 1968 debut Hacheros Pa Un Palo has a more raw, late 60s sound with guaguanco, son montuno, the fantastic bolero Pano de Lagrimas and great piano work from Papo Lucca. I can't recommend it highly enough, but it is a tough pull:

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Terrible cover art.
    the LPs with the fantastical cover art

And/or/both? Personally I think the Conquistador themed covers are awesome. But then you think there might be some fuzzed out descarga on there and there isn't :coolsmile:

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    SportCasual said:
    Terrible cover art.
    the LPs with the fantastical cover art

And/or/both? Personally I think the Conquistador themed covers are awesome. But then you think there might be some fuzzed out descarga on there and there isn't :coolsmile:

It's the Latin LPs with the cool covers you need to be wary of. Yeah, Milton Nascimento I'm looking at you, fucko.

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    Keepers of the PR salsa flame along with the mighty El Gran Combo. Papo in my opinion is probably one of the most gifted pianists ever in salsa although the band also covers jazz tunes on most of their LPs. One of the few classic salsa acts I have not seen live or promoted a show with along with Willie Rosario.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Their first three albums on Inca are hard filed. Tough to turn up clean, they were big party records. They play out often, a lot in PR. I actually saw them a few summers ago in Prospect Park, where they closed out a night that had Joe Cuba playing too, and they straight killed it, total pros.