Mexico's Drug War: 50,000 dead in 6 years (NRR)

phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
edited May 2012 in Strut Central
Came across this photojournal and it had me shook. No words.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/05/mexicos-drug-war-50-000-dead-in-6-years/100299/

Comments

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    phongone said:
    No words.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I think this might be the greatest threat to the US at this time.

This is an out right war.
    The Mexican government is besides the point, these groups live and kill above the law.
    Chaos in the country that should be our #1 or 2 trading partner is a real danger to the US.
    Sadly, IMO, the US is doing more to fuel, not end, this chaos.

Despite the danger to our country, and the death of 50,000 neighbors, no one here seems to really care, beyond scoring anti-immigrant points.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    yeah, i don't even know what to say about this. so fucking depressing.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    How many of the guns come from America?
    How much of the drugs goes to America?

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Legalization might be the greatest threat to these cartels but I doubt anybody in power will ever have the cojones to do it.

disco_che said:
    Legalization might be the greatest threat to these cartels but I doubt anybody in power will ever have the cojones to do it.

Legalise drugs, outlaw guns.
    Everyone gets high, nobody gets hurt. Easy.

• The whole thing is depressing. A really good English-language book to read detailing the situation is this one.

El Narco, by Ioan Grillo.
    http://www.amazon.com/El-Narco-Mexicos-Criminal-Insurgency/dp/1608192113

Possibly the best explanation of all the different problems happening in the country by a local journalist.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    thanks man, i'll probably try to read that.
    the whole thing is just mindblowing and chilling

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Duderonomy said:

As many as the ATF can carry across the border.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    disco_che said:
    Legalizing marijuana will go a long way in hurting the cartels. It will cause new distinct annoying law enforcement problems in the United States though.
    Legalizing all drugs will do nothing.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    They are also running meth, cocaine and heroin.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The plan is to let them all kill each other then we waltz in and take their oil.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    The plan is to let them all kill each other then we waltz in and take their oil.

hahahaha. you think we still have oil?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Dante said:
    Rockadelic said:

If we don't find oil we'll just take all your Coca-Cola!

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Dante said:
    Rockadelic said:

ah yes, that supply is endless.

on topic: 5 military big shots arrested yesterday regarding links with cartels.
    even the most pro-calder??n 'journalists' are talking about a 'major national defeat' after almost 6 years of war.

talk about grueling.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Dante said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Dante said:
    Rockadelic said:

ah yes, that supply is endless.

on topic: 5 military big shots arrested yesterday regarding links with cartels.
    even the most pro-calder??n 'journalists' are talking about a 'major national defeat' after almost 6 years of war.

talk about grueling.

Crazy man. There's basically a full-scale war next door to our country that's largely being ignored. And this war is largely fueled by America's demand for drugs. I wonder how the typical Mexican feels about that.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    America ignores large wars everywhere, both in this hemisphere and elsewhere. Congo, Colombia, Sudan, Somalia, Ethiopia, Rwanda, Uganda until 2011, and more. 50,000 dead is a drop in the bucket compared to the wars of the Congo. 2 million people were displaced in the paramilitary-guerrilla-narco conflicts in Colombia of the 1990s and 2000s. Nigeria appears as if it will be at war with itself shortly, and we most likely will ignore that too.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    End NAFTA and this shit will go back down to OSM* levels!

*Operation Shoot the Moon

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    SportCasual said:
    *Operation Shoot the Moon

If this is tasteless in the context of this topic, I apologize. The last picture with the broom sweeping up the coagulation from the blood on the sidewalk is haunting.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    How much of the drugs goes to America?

Roughly all of them?

I recently saw a talk by Professor Brian DeLay of UC Berkeley titled "So Far From God, So Close to the Gun Store." It was a chapter from a book he's writing on the history of the Mexican gun trade and how it fuels the present-day Mexican drug war, and it was was fascinating. In it, he mentioned that there is exactly one gun store in all of Mexico.

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    Ah... so the USA is to blame for this?
    Didn't take long for this thread to take that direction did it?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    BallzDeep said:

Oddly enough, legalizing marijuana in Canada could easily happen. Even our conserv PM admits it's a pointless deal, but say's it will never happen until the US changes their attitude on the subject. Which is happening slowly...

I was watching a report on Texas republicans changing their tune after their counties were going bankrupt on the war on drugs and how much it was costing to put people away.

This is an article on the subject.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/texas-close-prison-first-time-state-history-175703769.html

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    In it, he mentioned that there is exactly one gun store in all of Mexico.

I call bullshit.

BallzDeep said:

Taking a look at pertinent things like cause & effect will inevitably involve pointing the finger. Not sure what good burying your head in the sand will do (unless you're looking for a hidden cache of dope/guns/severed heads). Shit like this is one of the reasons I'm for legalisation, but strangely, conservative/right-wingers who are usually banging the drum for personal responsibility always seem to be the loudest dissenters. I see hard drugs in the UK as being what puts and then keeps people on the street. Of course the freedom to shoot somebody in the face is much more important though.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Legalize guns in Mexico.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    Herm said:
    hogginthefogg said:
    In it, he mentioned that there is exactly one gun store in all of Mexico.

I call bullshit.

i don't know if there's only ONE, but it's not far off. anyway, you don't get into a 50000 dead war getting your guns at a store.