Non-alcoholic summer beverage receipe swap strut

disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
edited May 2012 in Strut Central
For this summer I decided to experiment with all kinds of homemade cold summer refreshments to avoid ending up with a beer in my hand because all the other choices are too boring or meh (like Coke which I can't stand).

My first try today was a lemonade made with lemon balm leaves, brown sugar, fresh lime juice and lime bits and elderflower syrup which came out delicious. I want to do more stuff like this.
Another great combination I have already tried is Ginger Ale with fresh cucumber. With some Vodka added you got a Munich Mule but it's delicious without the vodka too.

What are your favorite receipes for lemonades, ice-teas, non alcoholic cocktails...?

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    needs no mix, but if it's too sweet, can cut it with some soda water

• I really love unsweetened iced tea in the summer time. I like to spice it up a bit with some fresh mint, or ginger, or fruit juice in the brew.
    Also this may not be summer related but this morning a made a cappuccino w/ steamed chocolate milk. I'm overly willing to speculate its the worlds first (Google be damned) and it comes highly recommended.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    Orangina is the bomb on a hot sunny day, its like a combo of Tropicana Orange Juice and Perrier water, sumthin else i have been digging lately is half redbull and half POM, i am not usually a fan of Redbull but the combo is really good imho..

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Sparkling Mineral Water and a lime wedge.

• meistromocomeistromoco 953 Posts
    watermelon mint soda

Throw a bunch of watermelon and a handful of mint leaves in the blender. pour it into a mesh sieve to remove all the solids. Pour over ice or carbonate in a soda maker (or just mix with some soda water)

Good with vodka or by itself.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Club Soda with Lime

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    meistromoco said:
    watermelon mint soda

Throw a bunch of watermelon and a handful of mint leaves in the blender. pour it into a mesh sieve to remove all the solids. Pour over ice or carbonate in a soda maker (or just mix with some soda water)

Good with vodka or by itself.

I'll try that one as soon as watermelon season begins.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    papaya + lemonade.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Club Soda with Lime

Major Cosine.

As part of my health kick, I've stopped drinking non-alcoholic liquid calories. Nothing sweet in my drinks please; natural or artificial.

I fucks with mineral water, carbonated water, and plain iced teas A LOT.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Anyone already experimented with Mate for Ice Teas?

Since a few years this stuff is what everybody drinks in my town:

It's crazy, in the city center supermarkets sales are exceeding Coca-Cola sales and all the other softdrink stuff. I drink them too, especially to stay awake and with some Havana Club Rum this is my preferred drink for partying as well. Nevertheless I'd like to enhance that Mate taste to another level. Suggestions?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I am always happy with Bull Run water, (Portland tap water).

My MIL drinks Arnold Palmers.
    1/2 lemonade / 1/2 iced tea.
    She is happy with lemonade and tea made from sweetened powder mixes. :nagl:

For strutters I recommend Chilean lemons crushed by a pygmy llama and blended with white tea from the mountains just below Tibet, harvested by blind monks on a full moon, brewed in water from a glacier in Western Greenland, sweetened with Amazon orchid honey.

• sneakypsneakyp 202 Posts
    Japanese Roasted Barley Iced Tea. Friend from Japan put me onto it. Treat it exactly like making iced tea. You can cold brew it in refrigerator overnight or do like sun tea. Or just use hot water and ice down. In the summer i like to keep a pitcher in the fridge at all times. It's a bit richer than your typical summer beverage....it's refreshing but it has a slight body to it, which you can of course adjust depending on water and ice content. but that means you can sip on it more as you might an alcoholic beverage instead of just slamming it down so I think it's a particularly appropriate substitute. Probably pretty healthy too.

http://www.justhungry.com/mugicha-barley-tea-flavor-summer

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    A recovering alcoholic I used to hang w drank an ice tea that was home made and killer:

2 litres water, boiled
    2-3 bags of black tea add to water
    2or 3 lemons, squeezed
    a solid amount of fresh mint (preferably pilferred from the neighbours garden) the mint is key
    and sugar to taste (Tommy used a shitload, recovering alcoholic related)

make then stick in the fridge and let cool and flavours mix.

It's the bomb, I haven't had a good one since I visited Tommy in NY 4 yrs ago, he kicked it 2 months later.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    http://www.amazon.com/DArbo-Elderflower-Syrup-500-16-9/dp/B004RQPEVS

Mix with a bit of water and ice, serve in chilled glass. Then sip while lamping on the veranda.

Indi_Lbl_HE@T said:
    http://www.amazon.com/DArbo-Elderflower-Syrup-500-16-9/dp/B004RQPEVS

Mix with a bit of water and ice, serve in chilled glass. Then sip while lamping on the veranda.

Wow that shit is expensive! You can get it for 5 Euro in the supermarket over here. But as elderflowers are just about to blossom over here a lot of people do this themselves. Last years we made syrup and jelly and I'm looking forward to doing it again soon.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    disco_che said:

It's crazy, in the city center supermarkets sales are exceeding Coca-Cola sales and all the other softdrink stuff. I drink them too, especially to stay awake and with some Havana Club Rum this is my preferred drink for partying as well. Nevertheless I'd like to enhance that Mate taste to another level. Suggestions?

love it! This has been around for ages in upper franconia, as the brewery is located in a small town here. Before it was renamed "Club Mate" it was called "Club Bronte". Therefore the real headz still call it "Bronte".
    Strangly enough this has become very popular in the Berlin hipster scene. You can buy it in almost every club there.
    They mix it up with all kinds of liquor as well. You order one, then you have to drink a mouthful, then they fill in the liquor with a funnel. :next_level:

finelikewine said:
    disco_che said:

love it! This has been around for ages in upper franconia, as the brewery is located in a small town here. Before it was renamed "Club Mate" it was called "Club Bronte". Therefore the real headz still call it "Bronte".
    Strangly enough this has become very popular in the Berlin hipster scene. You can buy it in almost every club there.
    They mix it up with all kinds of liquor as well. You order one, then you have to drink a mouthful, then they fill in the liquor with a funnel. :next_level:

Yep, first time a had one was in a Munich club 8 years ago. This is so big in Weimar because of all the Berlin-orientated artsy students. That drinking a sip before bartender is filling it up with rumhas become a ritual.