Grail or Fail -poast a track that can please or cleanse a dancefloor

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited May 2012 in Strut Central
I had people go nuts for this and two months later at the same venue, same night, I cleared the floor with this track. I had even passed on the record when I got it in for the first few times because the vocals are so painfully out of tune but at the same time, you hear it once and it stays with you for better or worse.

Comments

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Frank said:
    I had people go nuts for this and two months later at the same venue, same night, I cleared the floor with this track. I had even passed on the record when I got it in for the first few times because the vocals are so painfully out of tune but at the same time, you hear it once and it stays with you for better or worse.

I would dance my ass off to this.The poor man's strings in the song sound so awesome. I wish that moog and the kick drum would be higher in the mix. Great thread!

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    finelikewine said:

I would dance my ass off to this!

Uchenna of Comb & Razor fame comped this on his first release "Brand New Wayo". Can't recommend the record highly enough.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    The Seven Souls "I Still Love You". If my soul night went well then this song is a monster that you feel is changing lives right before your eyes. If its a bad night, then this song is just comes off weird and annoying. Its sort of my litmus test I guess.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    Frank said:

i've played this out a handful of times, ive kind of had similar reactions and think it just depends at what point in the party your drop it. good tune. i quite like it.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    I played this one in several house sets:

Sometimes it goes down a treat and causes a frenzy, sometimes you can see the the tumbleweed blowing across the dancefloor.
    The more true house heads and clued up people are in the place the better it works on the floor.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I've had Bohannon's Theme either go hard or go home...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Back when I was doing my Funk 45 night in Berlin, I was all excited when I finally had found a clean OG of this:

Played it out for the first time during prime time and probably had the worst reaction to any records I had played at that night in all those 5 years that I did this party. I usually had the floor going until 6:30-7 in the morning so this turned into one of those tracks that I loved to play to send people on their way when the sun went up outside. Once I had someone come up to me and request this track earlier in the night. I just had to oblige since educated requests are such a rare thing and should be honored and to my surprise it went over well. I guess even one or a couple of people who "get it" can make a huge difference.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Frank said:
    Back when I was doing my Funk 45 night in Berlin, I was all excited when I finally had found a clean OG of this:

Played it out for the first time during prime time and probably had the worst reaction to any records I had played at that night in all those 5 years that I did this party. I usually had the floor going until 6:30-7 in the morning so this turned into one of those tracks that I loved to play to send people on their way when the sun went up outside. Once I had someone come up to me and request this track earlier in the night. I just had to oblige since educated requests are such a rare thing and should be honored and to my surprise it went over well. I guess even one or a couple of people who "get it" can make a huge difference.
    I wouldn't dance to this, for some reason reminded me of this shit:

I would dance the fuck outta Joe Moks though.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    button said:
    The Seven Souls "I Still Love You". If my soul night went well then this song is a monster that you feel is changing lives right before your eyes. If its a bad night, then this song is just comes off weird and annoying. Its sort of my litmus test I guess.

I play out very infrequently these days, but recently had a nasty experience dropping Girl You Need A Change Of Mind to a younger audience... maybe I played it at the wrong moment, maybe it was the wrong crowd for the song, but the lack of reaction made me consider if '60s-'70s black American music has ever had a lower profile in my town*, and it also made me feel older than a hell of a lot of other things (facebook. ipads, laptop DJs etc) have ever managed.

*no soul/disco/funk nights anywhere from what I can tell, from '99 to '09 it seemed kind of dominant standard club music to mix in with newer stuff, as well as dedicated nights with deeper sounds than Car Wash

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Yeah, I'm sure it varies from city to city. Around here its been flogged pretty hard for well over 10yrs, which has had the split result of making various funk and soul 45 nights something "to do" sometimes on a saturday night, while simultaneously kind of saturating people ears to the point where funk and northern soul are more easily thought of as background wallpaper music than anything to get religious about.

On a related "being old" note, I kind of came to the realization that the younger kids, say early to mid-20s, that are the ones dressing up, going out and getting loose at clubs (aka making your DJ night a good time), to them I think DJing off of vinyl is actually less cool and now actually a detriment to your DJ night. I believe this marks a huge sea change as far as DJing aesthetics goes in relation to local trendsetters. I mean, regular ass becky's and chad's have never cared what the DJ is playing off of, but I'm not talking about them at all. I'm never talking about them.