'Classic Albums' docu series

DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
edited May 2012 in Strut Central
Anyone been catching these? I bought the Pink Floyd DSOTM dvd a few years back and loved it. Now they've got a ton of them up on Netflix and so far I've been able to watch Motorhead - Ace Of Spades, Jay-Z Reasonable Doubt, Black Sabbath - Paranoid and Metallica - Metallica.
The Motorhead was the most amusing. Lemmy and Phil are like a comedy double act. Jay-Z's RD was heavy on the rhymes - could have done with a little more on the production. Pink Floyd DSOTM was outstanding and just reinforced how great that album is. Metallica was kinda eh... mostly Lars trying to not come across as a douche but hey no surprise there.
Got Iron Maiden - Killers lined up as well as Cream - Disraeli Gears and The Doors.

Now if only they could make one on PEs Nation Of Millions...

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I love this series, the one on The Band is really good.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I love these docs, my favorite is the Steely Dan "Aja" episode. The part where they isolated Michael McDonald's vocals on "Peg" was especially mind blowing, those tighly stacked harmonies sounded like some kind of alien communication from outer space or something.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    asstro said:
    I love these docs, my favorite is the Steely Dan "Aja" episode. The part where they isolated Michael McDonald's vocals on "Peg" was especially mind blowing, those tighly stacked harmonies sounded like some kind of alien communication from outer space or something.

Likewise with the Motorhead - talking about how Lemmy played the bass more like lead...

• meistromocomeistromoco 953 Posts
    I caught Bob Marley - Catch a Fire and Paul Simon - Graceland, both of which I enjoyed. Simon went in pretty deep on his song writing and they talked a lot about how he and his engineer constructed most of the songs out of studio jam sessions in South Africa. They didn't really address much of the controversy surrounding the album though.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    Dipped into the "Aja" one after it showed up on Netflix's recently added. So sique.

UPTOWN BABY, UPTOWN BABY

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    spent hours watching these last night

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    The-gaffler said:
    Dipped into the "Aja" one after it showed up on Netflix's recently added. So sique.

UPTOWN BABY, UPTOWN BABY

Watched that one this weekend... awe-some. Fagen, all pencil-mustached in the bold suit styles, rocking in the studio to the 'Riq & Gunz.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    started with Aja, which was great.
    last night watched Dark Side Of The Moon one, and it hit me super hard. Teared up during a guitar solo.
    Mind was blown at the 7/8-to-4/4 maneuver. Of course that's why!
    So good.
    Stoked to watch some more.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    started with Aja, which was great.
    last night watched Dark Side Of The Moon one, and it hit me super hard. Teared up during a guitar solo.
    Mind was blown at the 7/8-to-4/4 maneuver. Of course that's why!
    So good.
    Stoked to watch some more.

Also at the 'Miles Davis' chord part

• The Who one, I think it was Who's Next, was really good too.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Love These???

A bunch of them are on youtube???.

Just watched Rush - 2112 and Peter Garbriel - So