Gay marriage

13»

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    bassie said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Also, I don't see gay marriage as the life or death issue some are making it out to be.

Not directly...but it is a contributor to how the lives of gays and lesbians are viewed, treated and mistreated...sometimes to the point of death.

Are you playing devil's advocate? Or you really not see/believe how rights denied a targeted group factors into their lives and deaths? Or another option, you don't really care?

This is consistent with his views on a woman's right to choice.
    He is not a woman, he is not gay, none of these directly effect him, so they are not a big deal to him.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I know, I just support them. Instead I'm supposed to not only support them but treat them like they are the most important issues the world has ever seen. Only then could I become caped crusaders like some of y'all. Let's see, I'm going to start screaming BIGOT at people in passing. That would be me moving in the right direction, correct?

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    bassie said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Also, I don't see gay marriage as the life or death issue some are making it out to be.

Not directly...but it is a contributor to how the lives of gays and lesbians are viewed, treated and mistreated...sometimes to the point of death.

Are you playing devil's advocate? Or you really not see/believe how rights denied a targeted group factors into their lives and deaths? Or another option, you don't really care?

This is consistent with his views on a woman's right to choice.
    He is not a woman, he is not gay, none of these directly effect him, so they are not a big deal to him.

It's a very childish way of thinking, IMO.

HarveyCanal said:
    I know, I just support them. Instead I'm supposed to not only support them but treat them like they are the most important issues the world has ever seen. Only then could I become caped crusaders like some of y'all. Let's see, I'm going to start screaming BIGOT at people in passing. That would be me moving in the right direction, correct?

Or you could scream DRAMA QUEEN when someone calls you on your BS. Oh, wait...

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Harvey lacks context.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I'm just gald that if I were to steal trillions for my banker buddies and illegally bomb children with drones and arrest American citizens without a trial and torture them indefinitely in overseas prisons, that y'all would STILL support me just because I can openly say that I support gay marriage.

It really is THAT important.

HarveyCanal said:
    I'm just gald that if I were to steal trillions for my banker buddies and illegally bomb children with drones and arrest American citizens without a trial and torture them indefinitely in overseas prisons, that y'all would STILL support me just because I can openly say that I support gay marriage.

Obama has done none of the things you listed, so you must be talmbout W. He didn't support gay marriage.

b/w

Ron Paul!!!

• HarveyCanal said:

It wasn't long ago it was illegal for 'people of African descent' to get with 'any person not of African descent'. But fuck it there was more important shit going on then too.

pimlicosquirrel said:
    HarveyCanal said:

It wasn't long ago it was illegal for 'people of African descent' to get with 'any person not of African descent'. But fuck it there was more important shit going on then too.

If it were still illegal, Harvey wouldn't have had his feelings hurt. Or so he says.

I recently heard that Judas kissed Jesus and he (Judas not Jesus) was a homosexual and that any one a homosexual kisses will die.

• HarveyCanal said:

This is a discussion about gay marriage, based on two high profile, recent events. Talking about it doesn't negate or supersede the importance of other problems in the world.

Maybe I'm overestimating the American electorate, but I think that the suggestion that someone would unconditionally support a politician based on a single, domestic social issue is pretty stupid.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    The way a society treats gay people has internationally become somewhat of a benchmark on how evolved this society is and how high one might rate their standard of living. So even if you're not gay and none of your friends and family are (at least to your limited personal knowledge), gay marriage should be an important issue for everybody who wants to live in a society that is civilized and modern and that is viewed and respected as such by the rest of the world.

• Frank said:
    The way a society treats gay people has internationally become somewhat of a benchmark on how evolved this society is and how high one might rate their standard of living. So even if you're not gay and none of your friends and family are (at least to your limited personal knowledge), gay marriage should be an important issue for everybody who wants to live in a society that is civilized and modern and that is viewed and respected as such by the rest of the world.

hear fucking hear

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    not exactly on topic, but youve got to see this unreal homophobic rant by a batshit crazy old lady in Nebraska. lol + -_- all at the same time

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Frank said:

But we're talmbout America...

mannybolone said:
    I also have to disagree with Dan. Countries like the UK and France ARE trying to push through legislation to legalize same sex marriage.

The reason it doesn't hit the same fever pitch in the US is - as I suggested earlier - marriage is just a lot more important to Americans than it is to most Europeans. "Over there," the difference b/t a civil union vs. marriage is mostly cultural/religious.

Over here, it goes far deeper.

I don't disagree with any thing you have written, but you might be missing some points.
    In the UK, France, Germany gays* have the same rights as everyone else.
    In this country they do not.
    I was addressing the political, not the sociological question.

As a Californian you should know that, gay couples in the US have been getting married for decades.
    Often in church.
    Getting married and being married has never been illegal for them in the US. They just are denied all rights other married couples receive.

Right now in Colorado there is a fight over civil unions. Not marriage.
    Yet the same people who say they are against marriage for gays are now against civil unions.

I assume you are absolutely right that marriage is more important to Americans than to Europeans.
    All I am saying is that civil rights are also more important to Europeans than they are to Americans.

*For purpose of this discussion I have been using gay to me LGBTQ.

I think some asked about bestiality and polygamy.

Bestiality will continue to be illegal (in those places that have outlawed it) because it does not involve consenting adults.

Currently you are only allowed to be married to one person at a time.
    There is no law preventing consenting adults from including other committed consenting adults in their marriage if they so wish.
    I see no reason why if 3-4 or 5 people want to get married they should be denied.
    The Old Testament no only blesses polygamy, under some circumstances it requires polygamy.

LDS quit practicing polygamy a long time ago and have no interest in reinstating it.