Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I remember a time when the boy Lynott was mooted as up for the role in a JH biopic. He had, however, just started to turn lumpen and bloated thru junk and thankfully the film never went any further. It would have been a low budget and deeply unsatisfying disaster methinks.

Often find myself walking past the flat where JH died (and Mama Cass too iirc) and thinking how convenient the loc was, situated as it is opposite Fenwicks and the Chappell music publishing shop. Walking distance to the original Hard Rock Cafe as well, where you can visit a caged basement containing such grails as the og Townsend and Clapton guitars that started that whole franchise rolling, the guitar that Matlock wrote 'Anarchy' on, Moon's favourite green catsuit and, er, Slash's Gibson.

Carry on.

::weak sauce::

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    Mr. Three Stacks not a bad choice. Prince to do the actual playing off camera while 'Dre "Peels off a Starshower" or whatever that phrase was . These things write themselves.

In 20 years time we will be enthralled by an OG "Chris Martin Waitrose Receipt" or Gaga's false lashes. Nostalgia eh?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    wood harris was a better fit.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Damn, I was hoping for Michael Winslow. Coulda saved money on music performances/instruments.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    You know what I miss? Andre 3000 as a rapper.

• I just want an actor that can portray him in a believable manner. Become Jimi, and Dre has been dying to play this part for a few years now. I'm an avid fan of Jimi and when I saw the Wood Harris version, there was much to be desired. Next biopic I would love to see is SRV (Stevie Ray Vaughan)!!! Who do you all think should play him? Who could pull it off??

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:

DJ_Enki said:

DJ_Enki said:

DJ_Enki said:

DJ_Enki said:

DJ_Enki said:

DJ_Enki said:

DJ_Enki said:

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    I just want an actor that can portray him in a believable manner. Become Jimi, and Dre has been dying to play this part for a few years now. I'm an avid fan of Jimi and when I saw the Wood Harris version, there was much to be desired. Next biopic I would love to see is SRV (Stevie Ray Vaughan)!!! Who do you all think should play him? Who could pull it off??

The better the actor the better the show is going to be.
    We could end up with a cartoon Jimi, all flamboyant clothes and music and attitude. With a real actor there is a better chance of a portrayal of a complex artist.

What SRV story is there to be told. Spent his youth in bedroom playing guitar, competing with brother. Destroyed the blues bar scene for a year or two. Stint in David Bowie band cut short by major label signing. Lots of drugs and touring. Death. I guess that is as good a plot as most.

• LaserWolf said:
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    I just want an actor that can portray him in a believable manner. Become Jimi, and Dre has been dying to play this part for a few years now. I'm an avid fan of Jimi and when I saw the Wood Harris version, there was much to be desired. Next biopic I would love to see is SRV (Stevie Ray Vaughan)!!! Who do you all think should play him? Who could pull it off??

The better the actor the better the show is going to be.
    We could end up with a cartoon Jimi, all flamboyant clothes and music and attitude. With a real actor there is a better chance of a portrayal of a complex artist.

What SRV story is there to be told. Spent his youth in bedroom playing guitar, competing with brother. Destroyed the blues bar scene for a year or two. Stint in David Bowie band cut short by major label signing. Lots of drugs and touring. Death. I guess that is as good a plot as most.

The same story as any rock biopic... So SRV isn't worthy of a movie? There's much more to SRV that you are leaving out after the drugs and alcohol, the fact that he was sober for a few years, ready for a tour with his brother, and then there was a tragic plane crash that took his life. He didn't die of a drug overdose in a hotel room like most rockers did and are still doing.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    andre cannot act. this will be a trainwreck

• SIRUS said:

Have you seen "Four Brothers"? He did better than Tyrese in that movie! Andre is an entertainer and by nature can act. There's a butt load of rapper/actors out here that cannot act and still make movies (50 Cent, Lil Bow Wow/Bow Wow, T.I., Ludicris, etc, etc) So who SHOULD be Jimi Hendrix? Who is worthy? Not a rapper, who could play the part by a well-known actor?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Morgan Freeman 40 years ago would have been the perfect choice.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    SIRUS said:

He did better than Tyrese in that movie!?

better than! start polishing that oscar andre. immortality awaits!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:

Have you seen "Four Brothers"? He did better than Tyrese in that movie! Andre is an entertainer and by nature can act. There's a butt load of rapper/actors out here that cannot act and still make movies (50 Cent, Lil Bow Wow/Bow Wow, T.I., Ludicris, etc, etc) So who SHOULD be Jimi Hendrix? Who is worthy? Not a rapper, who could play the part by a well-known actor?

LOL

• SIRUS said:
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    SIRUS said:

He did better than Tyrese in that movie!?

better than! start polishing that oscar andre. immortality awaits!

Soooo who SHOULD play the part as Jimi Hendrix that's worthy of approval? No answer yet.... Common?? Chris Brown?? I don't know if you all have noticed, but Andre has been dressing and looking like Jimi for a few years now (Aquemini, Stankonia, So Fresh and So Clean Video). This shouldn't be that much of a stretch for him, Oscar worthy or not.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Im tellin ya..

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    tyrese

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Im tellin ya..

Sorry, he already looks way too old here.

They should hold a mega casting-call an find an unknown, I hate it when a recognizable star plays another recognizable star.

Except Faye Dunaway in Mommie Dearest.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Beyonce as Etta James shit.

Or that dead the brand Doors shit.

Shit.....id spend an hour before he even met the Animals cat to get his story right.

Fuck Andre,Prince, Lenny Kravitz and Larry Fishburne.

Meryl Streep.

• The_Hook_Up said:
    Im tellin ya..

Friggin hilarious... I can see it though.

Id like to see someone who at least resembles Jimi.

Woody and Morgan dont look like him at all.

Tyrese looks nothing like JIMI. Thats like getting Common to play Michael Jordan.

Does Myrle Streep resemble Julia Child or Thatcher?
    Resemblance is unimportant, the ability to act is.

LaserWolf said:

So u wouldnt have a problem w/ Johnny Depp playing Jimi?

Gettin a "Ballpark resemblance" is all im looking for.

Any good actor can play anyone is nonsense for me.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

batmon said:
    LaserWolf said:

You are right.
    They have to be able to play the character.

Personally I wouldn't mind if Depp or Streep played him if they did a good job, except for some obvious political/social issues it might raise.

Did you see that Bob Dylan movie where some little actress played Bob Dylan?

Speaking of which, I read that there was some famous actor who went brown face for tv commercial for telephone or something like that. Was supposed to be funny. Why is there no soulstrut thread?

LaserWolf said:
    batmon said:
    LaserWolf said:

You are right.
    They have to be able to play the character.

Personally I wouldn't mind if Depp or Streep played him if they did a good job, except for some obvious political/social issues it might raise.

Did you see that Bob Dylan movie where some little actress played Bob Dylan?

Speaking of which, I read that there was some famous actor who went brown face for tv commercial for telephone or something like that. Was supposed to be funny. Why is there no soulstrut thread?

The Dylan movie was a very cool idea, but I imagine they are going for the Doors treatment here. Big personality for Big Icon.

Agreed.
    If it is a big budget Hollywood film they will get a big budget Hollywood actor in the lead.

(BTW, I'm not really a big Streep fan.)

So what about that brown face telephone ad? You all hip?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    batmon said:
    Tyrese looks nothing like JIMI. Thats like getting Common to play Michael Jordan.

tyrese dosn't have the chops to play jimi and, of course, looks nothin like him. i think they'll have to go unknown with this. off the top of my head i can't think of a light skinted dude who has the chops to play jimi AND has a name.