Cringe-tastical usage of record related imagery

AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
edited May 2012 in Strut Central
But I do like the drum machine one, oddly.

Other than that please stop making jewelry and handbags with needles and turntables and cut up pieces of records on them. It's the corniest direct road to poser-dom I can conceive of.

Of course this is on Etsy and the seller is EU based and goes by the moniker 'thepusspuss'

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I would absolutely blap

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    EXTENDED LONG PLAY!!!!!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    -knob-twiddling, knob-twisting, knob-turning
    -and a myriad of button-related single, double and triple entendres

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    "Hipster level: LONDON"

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

May apologies to any strutter that may have tunrtable related ink.....but imho this kind of thing is stupid x 10000!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    DOR said:

Oh wow. This guy is a cross between a Martin Amis nightmare and an SNL Sprockets waking dream.

Nice boots on her still.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    That album cover is In Braille?

RAER

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    batmon said:
    EXTENDED LONG PLAY!!!!!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    DOR said:

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    DOR said:
    I'm gona track you down on reddit and upvote you with all of my accounts.

I hated that thread doe. Colour me old and disconnected.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'm honestly curious what we are supposed to hate in that "HIPSTER LEVEL LONDON" pic?

maybe I'm missing something, but you could have had pretty much that same photo of me on a couple of occasions when I went out somewhere and bought stuff with my portable, and then while having lunch/coffee on the way home pulled it out to further listen to stuff I bought ... ?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    I'm honestly curious what we are supposed to hate in that "HIPSTER LEVEL LONDON" pic?

maybe I'm missing something, but you could have had pretty much that same photo of me on a couple of occasions when I went out somewhere and bought stuff with my portable, and then while having lunch/coffee on the way home pulled it out to further listen to stuff I bought ... ?

Ditto. I don't get it either.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    SoulOnIce said:

HOW DARE YOU SIRSSSSSS
    I hate those bathing suits, they're awful.

The girl is necking half a pint of bitter.
    That's the worst look on there.

Can we get male swimwear with music gear on it?
    I would so buy some.

Sony minidisc maybe, or iPod nano.

5" Belgian flexi possibly.

• TheKindCromangTheKindCromang 1,463 Posts
    I'm thinking it's the suede jacket / turtleneck combo that's so :oof:

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    skel said:

I would so buy some.

Sony minidisc maybe, or iPod nano.

NoAyo
    b/w
    :pasue:

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    SoulOnIce said:

Exactly. Well that was my response to it anyway. But this picture was posted on Reddit today with the caption stating something along the lines that he was a London hipster. Cue much vitriol and 'hipster' bashing ranging from distain. to 'I want to stab him in the groin with a rusty fork'.

Apparently the majority of young (ish) people (americans and nothern europeans mainly) don't see a record collector who's most probably been out digging in a charity shop or where ever, but a HIPSTER SCUM who is walking around with records like you would a walkman to be extra cool.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    skel said:

Sony minidisc maybe, or iPod nano..

Kinda small?

• mrmatthew said:

May apologies to any strutter that may have tunrtable related ink.....but imho this kind of thing is stupid x 10000!

I agree that the tonearm tat needs to go, but if I was going to get a tattoo I can't see this being all that bad of a choice...

Too tribalesque/hipsteresque? It ain't gonna happen, but I can dig it.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    mrboogieman88 said:
    mrmatthew said:

I agree that the tonearm tat needs to go, but if I was going to get a tattoo I can't see this being all that bad of a choice...

Too tribalesque/hipsteresque? It ain't gonna happen, but I can dig it.

Depends.

If you don't mind having the exact same tat as 10,000 other people, it's cool.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    I was told that there are some record collectros who have this tattoo: ?????????
    Which basically means "I love obi".

I mean, I dig an obi, and I know westerners are obsessed with asian character ink, but this is lame.

• DOR said:

No word of a lie; I am pretty sure that I have sold records to this fella. That LP on his portable is the Marcia Maria brazildiscofunkraer.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I'll just leave this here...

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    SoulOnIce said:

Sorry, I collect and love records and all that, but if I saw a youngish, trendily dressed person pull out a portable, headphones, and a stack of vinyl in a public place I'd assume that they were an attention seeking douchbag on some "look at me, I'm so sophisticated" bullshit.

Aka "record fiends ain't what they used to be"

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    "Hey baby, wanna go to the bar and watch me listen to records? I'll bring the big headphones to make sure I can't listen to anything you might say." That's one of the things wrong with that picture.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I actually have no hate on the pic. Tho, I do have questions.

Vintage headphones or replicas?
    Why is he ignoring the bird from across?
    Where is his pint?

I know it's been a number of years since my adventures in London. But I've always been under the assumption that having a pint at the record store (If they allow it) is proper. But the other way around...

I remember once I was at a pub in the East End and a dude walked in full armour and a lance with a punk rock girl and asked the barkeep for his best mead. I thought that was pretty hipster at the time.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Is he simultaneously reading the paper, or did he put it down to protect his portable and jacket from the bar table? I can't say either is a good look.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    CBear said:
    "Hey baby, wanna go to the bar and watch me listen to records? I'll bring the big headphones to make sure I can't listen to anything you might say." That's one of the things wrong with that picture.

Seriously. No wonder she's eying the more attentive bloke at the next table.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    asstro said:
    mannybolone said:
    SoulOnIce said:

Sorry, I collect and love records and all that, but if I saw a youngish, trendily dressed person pull out a portable, headphones, and a stack of vinyl in a public place I'd assume that they were an attention seeking douchbag on some "look at me, I'm so sophisticated" bullshit.

I remember when old record guys who didn't wear trendy clothes were ridiculed here.
    Now we ridicule young guys who are trendy.