Soul Strut 100: # 78 - The Lafayette Afro Rock Band - Malik

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited May 2012 in The Soul Strut 100
I will slowly be unveiling the Top 100 Soul Strut Related Records as Voted by the Strutters Themselves.

# 78 - The Lafayette Afro Rock Band - Malik

Please discuss your reactions to this record. The thread will be archived later here.

About

Recorded in Paris and New York under the production guidance of Pierre Jaubert ("Berjot"), the Lafayette Afro-Rock Band were a jazz-based super session group that created a heavy, dense, no compromise ghetto funk that has since been sampled by everyone from Public Enemy to Wreckz 'N' Effect.

After the first release of the Lafayette Afro-Rock Band, Soul Makossa, everyone was quick to recognize such an abundance of talent in one group. The response was immediate to the new rhythm in their music, which was to delve into the contemporary disco scene with Malik.

At this point, we could go on and on, but for those who already know the band, you will be fully aware of what we mean. For those who are listening for the first time, the Lafayette Afro-Rock Band???s bandwagon is becoming larger and is ready to take people on their heaviest musical trip!

Media

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Sh show em what you got.

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    to me this might as well be a brand new release as i never even knew it existed.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,783 Posts
    Darkest Light - instantly recognisable, and that intro sax has graced so many great tracks since... other than Harv's PE reference, two other favourites of mine:

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Big WOF95 ticket! I wonder if Soul Makossa is also in this top 100. If so, this one get's my vote. The albums under their Ice moniker are also worth copping, up until 74 at least. After that the lame disco bug get's them and their output is reduced to one-trackers imo.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    Beautiful woman. The CD anthology liner notes state that she was a Martinique woman named "Ms. Lloyd" who rejected the band members hitting on her after the photo session...haha

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Fwaah Wah wahh wahh wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh