RIP Skip Pitts

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited May 2012 in Strut Central
One of the most recognizable funk guitarists of all time and Memphis legend...Midnight Movers, Isley Brothers (immortal "its your thing" riff), Isaac Hayes (REALLY immortal wha-wha riff of "Shaft"), Rufus "Itch and Scratch"...dozens and dozens of others. Such a sweet sweet guy and one of the greatest speaking voices ever. He put up with my fan-boy questions and would enthusiastically talk at length about music and always give ya a wave and a hello when you would see him out...one of the greats. Rest in Peace.

Comments

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    rip to an undersung legend.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Blues Crib, off the Truck Turner soundtrack = CRACK.

RIP.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    RIP

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    RIP.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    sad news RIP

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Damn R.I.P.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    stratasphere said:
    Damn R.I.P.

This mans playing had a huge effect on this suburban kid from the other side of the planet, he will be sorely missed.

Having trouble embedding, try this:

Start at .45 for Skip.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Strange, saw him twice last year - at the Ponderosa Stomp and with the Bo-Keys, within three months of each other last fall. Looked fine both ways. I didn't know he was that close to death.

Good to see he got his propers while he lived.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    Strange, saw him twice last year - at the Ponderosa Stomp and with the Bo-Keys, within three months of each other last fall. Looked fine both ways. I didn't know he was that close to death.

Good to see he got his propers while he lived.

He had been battling diabetes for awhile...had good days and bad days and had been in and out of the hospital... I guess these last bad days just wouldn't let go.

Probably the one of the few musicians that I am willing to bet every strutter has in their collection one way or another. Kinda strange more people wanna mourn a radio station but to each their own I guess.