Electronic music that does NOT bore me (Personal Space-R)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited May 2012 in Strut Central
This is a triple play of Strut: Dante curated it and James reviewed it for my site: http://soul-sides.com/2012/04/the-soul-of-drum-machines-the-personal-space-anthology/

I'm feeling this comp a lot.

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Niiice. I'm gonna have to get this.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    This is fascinating stuff. Any idea who might be doing European PR for it? It's the kind of thing I'd like to pitch at my editor.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    great, thoughtful review that is such a refreshing counterpoint to that other ignorant and faux-iconoclastic thraed. i think i'm going to cop this on the strength of that review.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    It looks a great comp. I tried to compile a similar themed set a few years ago, but was never going to anything this deep. It'd be interesting to know how it all came together.

I'd love for them to do a follow up that continued into the 80s and beyond. Although that might be stepping out of Numero territory.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    great, thoughtful review that is such a refreshing counterpoint to that other ignorant and faux-iconoclastic thraed. i think i'm going to sew some stuffed animals onto my pants.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Sound clips sound great. :feelin_it:

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    So I can't call this mustache soul anymore?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    great, thoughtful review that is such a refreshing counterpoint to that other ignorant and faux-iconoclastic thraed. i think i'm going to sew some stuffed animals onto my pants.

Ok, this did make me laugh. #noshots

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    i think i'm going to sew some stuffed animals onto my pants.

I do not at all know what you meant by this, but it made me laugh, for reasons I don't understand.

4YearGraduate said:
    So I can't call this mustache soul anymore?

Thes: I was actually chatting with someone about this comp who used that exact term for the style of music here.

Mustache soul lives!

Okem said:
    It looks a great comp. I tried to compile a similar themed set a few years ago, but was never going to anything this deep. It'd be interesting to know how it all came together.

I'd love for them to do a follow up that continued into the 80s and beyond. Although that might be stepping out of Numero territory.

Okem: I think Chocolate Industries is behind the comp; Numero is helping with distro maybe?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    Mustache soul

Plaese to elabortate!

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    This comp is great!

I hope so considering I had more than one song from this comp on my mix that came out 6 years ago!

batmon said:
    4YearGraduate said:
    Mustache soul

Plaese to elabortate!

Mixtape I did in i think 2006 when there was really no classification for this genre. Bedroom and low impact studio drum machine stuff as a response to modern and boogie. alternate genre title I had were "i think I can" soul.

Guitar Red, Otis G, etc all on it.
    Was wrking on a part two a few years ago but got sidetracked, have some real bizzarro heat stacked up. Oliver, you should hear this stuff from this label in Carson in this vein. Bedroom Black Power Mustache to the 10th degree.

Mustache Soul mixtape free download

holy shit

While the mustache soul mix has a couple of loose inclusions, those that know me saw me go on off the deep end on this shit the few years that followed, only to never reveal all the stuff I unearthed. I'll probably do the mix now though, I'm kind of fired up. Dante's comp is amazing, nuff respect.

Feel my mustache:

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:

Mixtape I did in i think 2006 when there was really no classification for this genre.

I seem to remember you posted it up and then it quickly and mysteriously disappeared. I grabbed it

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    While I'm a fan of the "Mustache Soul" enterprise (I, too, downloaded it back when--I rememeber having to use some shitty shareware to convert it from m4a to mp3, but it was still dope), I'd say that as genre (or at least as it's defined in Thes's mix) it seems to squarely aspire to an established Modern Soul/Boogie sound (with some added spacy/spiritual flourishes, maybe), where the stuff on Personal Space is more sonically idiosyncratic and more consistently bugged.

Some of the material might overlap between Thes's mix and Dante's comp, but the driving sensibilities behind the two--both in the initial creation and in the latter-day curation--are clearly pretty different.

I agree, ms wasnt meant to be a definitive statement outlining the boundaries of the genre - if anything I think it's really awesome that this comp clearly has.

My mix had plenty of run of the mill modern stuff ala come back lover, I was more focused in trying to keep the groove going. I'm disappointed I didn't follow it off with the stuff I turned up after that but lets face it - nothing I would do could ever touch the depth and knowledge DC brings to the table. That's my dude and I'm happy this comp is highlighting this stuff!

Awesome review too James. It's great to see this happening.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The comp sounds amazing, by the way. Always loved Shuggie Otis messing with a drum machine and this sounds like that trapped under an imaginary mattress on Venusian acid.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    that commander woo woo record is my shit. i have that key and cleary too but havent listened to it for years.

can't wait to scoop this compilation

With just running thru your mix i was under the impression that the silk sheets steez would be comparable to Marvin Gaye's Till Tommorow.

Id like a ballpark timeline for this shit pleez!

this is some real curatorial shit.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    "Don't Challenge Me" and the Spontaneous Overthrow track are cool. I don't really get the rest.

Just found this by mistake when searching for the T Dyson track:

Moustache soul?

I wouldn't really classify it Stache due to it being on a major and it has a pretty high production value.

To me, Moustache has a bugged out quality that you can only get from minimal talent, finances and a whole lot of heart.

As far as that T Dyson goes, that side of the 45 is completely pedestrian when compared with the flip side, a slow manic 'stache with bizarro chord progressions. I can post it up later if anyone is interested.

4YearGraduate said:
    I wouldn't really classify it Stache due to it being on a major and it has a pretty high production value.

To me, Moustache has a bugged out quality that you can only get from minimal talent, finances and a whole lot of heart.

As far as that T Dyson goes, that side of the 45 is completely pedestrian when compared with the flip side, a slow manic 'stache with bizarro chord progressions. I can post it up later if anyone is interested.

Interested. I also wonder if this is going to be an example of atlantic tastes differing - I don't think there's anything pedestrian about that T Dyson, it's beautiful. But then I haven't heard the flip yet...

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    "on the corner, where i've done all my liiivin" who does this song?

Jeff Phelps Magnetic Eyes

I got to dig out my mustache box from a fey years ago and find that Dyson 45, I'll try and rip the b side today.

Duderonomy said:
    4YearGraduate said:

Interested. I also wonder if this is going to be an example of atlantic tastes differing - I don't think there's anything pedestrian about that T Dyson, it's beautiful. But then I haven't heard the flip yet...

Yo Duder:
    DivShare File - firsttime_tdyson.mov

I cut it off before the breakdown and the part I sampled. Can't give everyDAMNthing away!
    But FWIW, I find this side a) way more musically interested and emotionally vested, b) more haunting and ambitious.The a-side has the chord progression of an 80's Diet Coke commercial to me. But i'm irrationally critical. It really is a dope 45.