Spike Lee - The Dolly Shot

DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
edited April 2012 in Strut Central

Comments

• YemskyYemsky 709 Posts
    That brought back some memories.
    To put an actor right on the dolly cart in front of the camera, is that really his invention?

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    Yemsky said:
    To put an actor right on the dolly cart in front of the camera, is that really his invention?

probably not, but it's one of the most widely recognizable film signatures of recent times.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Yemsky said:

I've always heard that as well. I'm curious if this is indeed true.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    This dude really needs to make a new movie.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    revisited 25th hour the other day.

some of the most painfully long and boring dialogues ever, made even more excruciating by horrible background music playing throughout.

a very silly movie.

• like this?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    soulcitizen said:

like this?

That looks more like a camera harness that Keitel is wearing.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    best use of dolly shot: malcom x

worst: inside man

theresa randall should have had more of a career. good Lord she is a beautiful woman, why isn't she getting some of that think like a man money? maybe father mc has something to do with it.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    anybody interested in spike's new one?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Jspr said:
    SIRUS said:

That doesn't count as a real trailer. Please to elaborate.

yeah, i don't think there is a official one yet. has gotten mixed reviews from the festivals. kid from the south spends the summer with his uncle (a preacher) in red hook.

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    Jspr said:
    SIRUS said:

That doesn't count as a real trailer. Please to elaborate.

yeah, i don't think there is a official one yet. has gotten mixed reviews from the festivals. kid from the south spends the summer with his uncle (a preacher) in red hook.

GOD I can't wait for this. I got married behind the Fairway supermarket in Redhook last September. I'd never been to New York before let alone that corner of Brooklyn and I loved it. Just seeing shots of the area again is exciting.
    Plus I love Spike.
    b/w
    Wot No Bamboozled?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Dante said:
    Yemsky said:

probably not, but it's one of the most widely recognizable film signatures of recent times.

True. One of my favorites...like the character is in their own little world. Ernest Dickerson was Spike Lee's cinematographer. Perhaps he was influenced by notable Italian cinematographers like Luciano Tovoli? Not "man on a dolly" per se, but I've seen similar dolly/crane camera trickery in "The Passenger" (the end where Jack Nicholson gives his monologue and the POV goes out the window), "Tenebrae" (POV like a hummingbird floating around, peeking inside of the house, while the music pumps) and loads of other stuff.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    theresa randall should have had more of a career. good Lord she is a beautiful woman, why isn't she getting some of that think like a man money? maybe father mc has something to do with it.

Yeah she had that Bourgie girl status for a minute. Played opposite Wesley in Sugarhill and seemed to be on her way to crossing over like Vivica Fox, but like Fox was hooked up w/ image-questionable cats.
    I thought she was primed to do what Halle Berry before, and later Kerry Washington and Paula Patton have done. Start out w/ the Black Film Exp, crossover and play opposite white dudes to never return to Black Media for a long minute.

I cant fusk w/ Girl 6.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I'll check out Red Hook Summer.

I'm a little worried about him doing Oldboy tho. Not so much him being the director, just people trying to do a remake of it.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    theresa randall is the only reason to watch girl 6. plus all prince on the soundtrack.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    theresa randall is the only reason to watch girl 6. plus all prince on the soundtrack.

What did i miss cause that shit didnt stick with me.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    batmon said:
    SIRUS said:

What did i miss cause that shit didnt stick with me.

its not spike's best but its the only movie she did where she plays the lead and gets a chance to strut her stuff outside a girfriend/wife role.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

dexter wansel reference @ 1:29

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Dante said:
    Yemsky said:

See also; Michael Bay's low-angle 360?? pan, Tarantino's POV trunk shot.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    official trailer:

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    official trailer:

oh Red Hook. No trains all day B61,

Ft Defiance is the lick, but give me the old school ball fields any day. recall @Empandamn being comatose on this schitt.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    jlee said:
    SIRUS said:
    official trailer:

oh Red Hook. No trains all day B61,

Ft Defiance is the lick, but give me the old school ball fields any day. recall @Empandamn being comatose on this schitt.

Hmmm... I'm always getting the Chorizo Quesadilla (fresh, home made chorizo!) and the Spinach Chalupas (spicy!). Sometimes we bring a flask of tequila for the 32 Oz. Cantaloupe Frescas... The Ceviche is hit or miss, first few times it was amazing but then once, the shrimp were dry and chewy, probably precooked frozen. Don't forget to get a bag of jicama with lime, salt & chilli for the walk home. Last year I ignored bystanders warning me of flesheating bacteria and went swimming at the little "beach" with the painted RED HOOK concrete cubes, the coolest perspective to see the Manhattan skyline is with your head sticking out the water.

• YemskyYemsky 709 Posts
    jlee said:

This is called "Bizarre Foods #1" and they talk about people being scared of the Mexican street food serves in NY? Even if they ultimately praise it: What a bunch of idiots.