Paging BATMON.. RIP kiss fm

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited April 2012 in Strut Central
Kiss and WBLS are merging, and will broadcast on the BLS frequency.

Discuss...

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    mannybolone said:

Nice... I hadn't heard a few of those before.

I will probably always have the Red Alert Chant in my head for life.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I remember when Kiss was the new kid on the block and embraced Hip Hop while Frankie Crocker was running on Disco fumes.

• Options
    First time I heard Flex was on Kiss, he used to do late nights on weekends there. I remember this Egyptian girl at a restaurant I worked at in '94-'95 getting wide eyed when I mentioned that I couldn't wait to get out to my car because Funkmaster Flex was on; "how do YOU know about Funkmaster Flex?" In like Flynn.

It's funny, I'm trying to think back and I'm getting a lot of things confused as to who was on Hot 97 or 103.5 and who was on Kiss. Which one had the house music on late on Fridays and Saturdays? Or was that both?

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    In like Flint
    Attached files

• Options
    Murdock said:
    In like Flint

In like Flynn. I'm from Long Island, we don't pronounce t's at the ends of words.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Sween said:
    I'm from Long Island, we don't pronounce t's at the ends of words.

Sweent?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    This station had a HUGE influence on me when I lived in CT in the mid 80s.

The first time I heard "Jam on It", "White Lines," "Ain't No Body" was on KISS FM???. and the Red Alert Shows!??? Legendary NYC right there.

RIP

I had a Kiss card.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Sween said:
    Murdock said:
    In like Flint

In like Flynn. I'm from Long Island, we don't pronounce t's at the ends of words.

The OG saying is "In like Flynn". (Presumably the noted ladies-man and got-a-match punchline hero Errol),

"In Like Flint" is a pun on this.

I just googled it : http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/198700.html

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I spent some time tuning into both stations on Sunday and it was kinda depressing - started out listening to Open Line with James Mtume which is going, Rhythm Review which will I think only be broadcast now in their Saturday slot on WBGO Newark, and when I switched over to WBLS they were playing the most tired conservative selection of 15-year old adult contemp LBE R&B cuts mixed with the most surface scraping of disco and boogie classics. I know they have some great mixshow DJs that can go in, but honestly Kiss tended to go a little deeper during regular programming hours IMO.

It's also kind of wild to me that they didn't pick up Michael Baisden, or Tom Joyner. These guys are syndicated nationally but both were successful on WKRS, and yet not transfer over

Bummer.

Now that this is going to happen, it is going to change into a talk show station. It is now 9:13 pm and I wanted to hear Keith Sweat and his relaxing music and what I am hearing now is talk! Who wants to hear talk after a hard day and work...

DON'T EVERYONE FORGET ABOUT FELIX HERNANDEZ!!!! HE PLAY ISSHHH FROM THE ARCHIVES. HE IS EPIC!!!!!

NO MICHAEL BAISDEN. Are you kidding me? Who was the idiot on the BLS staff that decided this idiotic move? Mr. BAISDEN is the voice for not only the African American community but all people of color. Bring MICHAEL BAISDEN please along with FELIX HERNANDEZ I won't be listening to BLS KISS FM was always the better choice of the two. BAISDEN and HERNANDEZ will always be # 1 in New York

*Buffoonery Over Activism: Do we really prefer music and jokes over content?

After I received the devastating news on Thursday that 98.7 Kiss FM in New York was taking my show off and going to an all-sports format, I thought to myself: who is going to sound the alarm in New York when the next Jena 6 happens???or Trayvon Martin???or Presidential election? And who???s going to promote mentoring to save our children, and talk about domestic violence, and child molestation? When you come up with a radio personality???s name who can be trusted to consistently and passionately address these issues on mainstream FM radio, please let me know.

I don???t know about you, but I think we???re going down a dangerous path as African Americans, and as Americans in general, when we allow our voices to be silenced on FM radio while personalities like Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and others continue to spew racist, divisive, and sexist language over hundreds of radio stations across the country. The public cannot be expected to act if they don???t know there is an emergency, they cannot march if they don???t know whose rights have been violated, and they cannot fight if they have been put to sleep by buffoonery and the repetitive recycling of what is often bad music.

Now, let me be clear, I have no problem with a radio station turning a profit; this is the advertising business after all. Our sponsors buy commercial time based on the ratings, but The Michael Baisden Show was the highest-rated afternoon urban adult program in New York at the time of this change. That???s a fact! And the show has been competitive in every book???or winning its time slot ever since I arrived at the station in 2003. How then do you explain every other show being moved to WBLS except this one? Is it personal or is there something more disturbing going on, a conscious effort to dumb down and silence any voice that uplifts and informs ???The People????

I have no desire to be the sore loser in this. If people prefer one programming to another, then you accept the outcome and keep it moving. But in these times of Republican policies that rob us of our voting rights and the legal system that is locking up more people of color than ever before, we cannot afford to have jokes and slow jams be at the center of our information outlets. Isn???t it funny that during one of the most critical times in our nation???s history, there are fewer African-American AM and FM shows giving information than ever before? What???s really going on, and more importantly, what can we do about it? Well, believe it or not, ???The People??? do have the power!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    RAJ said:

The first time I heard "Jam on It", "White Lines," "Ain't No Body" was on KISS FM???. and the Red Alert Shows!??? Legendary NYC right there.

RIP

This station had a huge influence on me when I lived in the North-West of England in the early 80s. Peter Powell's evening show on Radio 1 used to do a regular monthly Monday night link-up with Kiss when it was still in its infancy, and they'd play whatever was hot in New York that weekend along with some of the specials Shep Pettibone used to do, and may even have featured a mix by Tony Humphries on a couple of occasions (can't be certain of that, though). That brief taste of what was happening on NY radio and in the clubs was one of the things that drew me towards DJing. I know that I went out and bought the Kiss-FM Mastermixes comp that Prelude put out in 1982, solely on the basis of what got played in that monthly half-hour feature.

• Options
    DocMcCoy said:
    RAJ said:

RIP

This station had a huge influence on me when I lived in the North-West of England in the early 80s. Peter Powell's evening show on Radio 1 used to do a regular monthly Monday night link-up with Kiss when it was still in its infancy, and they'd play whatever was hot in New York that weekend along with some of the specials Shep Pettibone used to do, and may even have featured a mix by Tony Humphries on a couple of occasions (can't be certain of that, though). That brief taste of what was happening on NY radio and in the clubs was one of the things that drew me towards DJing. I know that I went out and bought the Kiss-FM Mastermixes comp that Prelude put out in 1982, solely on the basis of what got played in that monthly half-hour feature.

You're probably right about the Tony Humphries part, I've seen Kiss mixes from him dating back to the earliest '80s sprinkled among the blogosphere. I know I have a couple on tape, from the 90's though and they might have even been off Hot 97, although they had Glenn Friscia and Hex Hector around that time.

• Options
    J i m s t e r said:
    Sween said:
    Murdock said:
    In like Flint

The OG saying is "In like Flynn". (Presumably the noted ladies-man and got-a-match punchline hero Errol),

In like Sweent.

In the bigger picture what were losing are Black Music options.

Kiss was the challenger to the well locked w/ 'BLS LBE.

I dunno but both have lost some swagger for me and with the internets and shit im not as dependent as i was from the 70s to the 90s.

I dont care about pop shit but The Quiet Storm is so important to Black Music and i hope that stays in the game.
    Keith Sweat had a very good show.

I knew the whole Clear Channel steez is the last call for the radio game.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Sween said:
    J i m s t e r said:
    Sween said:
    Murdock said:
    In like Flint

In like Sweent.
    Oh shit--Sween!

you know, I was just telling my friend about this about this the other day because her last name is Sweeney, too:

The other week I was on the train within earshot of a dude who was on his cellphone, mad as hell about something that some third party had done, and spent the entire ride hollering at the person on the other end of the phone to remind the other person what was what:

"Does that little fuck know who the fuck he's fucking with? I'm fucking Sweeney! You tell him this is fucking Sweeney right here!...What?!...What?!...I don't give a fuck...You make sure and let him know that he's fucking with fucking Sweeney!...What?!...How should I...What?!...Listen...No, listen, you let that fuck know that you fucking talked to Sweeney directly, and let him know that fucking Sweeney himself said..."

And on and on and on, never once deviating from that central theme. It was like performance art or something. Dude was already on the train and kicking ballistics when I got on, and was still raging when I got off approximately sixteen minutes later (pause). I cannot imagine where Fucking Sweeney is right now. My guess would be dead, in jail, or still in that same train seat, red-faced and with the top of his head blown like one of those trick cigars, just from pure anger. Or perhaps he walked into a "Don't Mess Around With Jim"-type situation back at the shack and got merked by Little Fuck. The mind boggles.

Anyway, sorry for the thread-jack. All I got is that I used to have some umpteenth-generation Latin Rascals megamixes dubbed off of KISS that I bumped in the Walkman the one Summer when I was painting this rental house that was like a way station for strippers and their kids, but I realize that's not really pertinent. I'm out.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    james said:

Oh shit--Sween!

you know, I was just telling my friend about this about this the other day because her last name is Sweeney, too:

The other week I was on the train within earshot of a dude who was on his cellphone, mad as hell about something that some third party had done, and spent the entire ride hollering at the person on the other end of the phone to remind the other person what was what:

"Does that little fuck know who the fuck he's fucking with? I'm fucking Sweeney! You tell him this is fucking Sweeney right here!...What?!...What?!...I don't give a fuck...You make sure and let him know that he's fucking with fucking Sweeney!...What?!...How should I...What?!...Listen...No, listen, you let that fuck know that you fucking talked to Sweeney directly, and let him know that fucking Sweeney himself said..."

And on and on and on, never once deviating from that central theme. It was like performance art or something. Dude was already on the train and kicking ballistics when I got on, and was still raging when I got off approximately sixteen minutes later (pause). I cannot imagine where Fucking Sweeney is right now. My guess would be dead, in jail, or still in that same train seat, red-faced and with the top of his head blown like one of those trick cigars, just from pure anger. Or perhaps he walked into a "Don't Mess Around With Jim"-type situation back at the shack and got merked by Little Fuck. The mind boggles.

Anyway, sorry for the thread-jack. All I got is that I used to have some umpteenth-generation Latin Rascals megamixes dubbed off of KISS that I bumped in the Walkman the one Summer when I was painting this rental house that was like a way station for strippers and their kids, but I realize that's not really pertinent. I'm out.

Bravo.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    RAJ said:

Essential heads know the transaction. Red Alert on 98.7 was basically my hip-hop bible, and Uncle Red was my original template for what a DJ should be.

"What's up with DJ Red Alert? GOIN' BERSERK!"

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    I am still stunned by this, in all of its sudden-ness.
    The city, the birthplace of hip hop, has lost the station that did it all. What the Helllll!???
    Yes WBLS played rap and was/is an amazing station, but it was always at its core more of an R&B and classic soul station.
    Utter shock and disappointment. I love radio, this is truly a lame abdication of a monument, that's how I see 98.7.

does anyone remember Mighty Mitchski and the MB's song "Red Alert is a Great Man"??

i will never forget hearing it on Red's mixtape, We Can Do This. there is no other tape that had more of an influence on me.

this is really f**ked up.

The people are upset.