selling hip-hop off in bulk, WWSSD?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited April 2012 in Strut Central
At some point this summer, I'm going to finally finish going through all my hip-hop records and setting aside about 2/3rds of it to purge. We're talking something in the ballpark of about 2000-2500 records at this point? It's basically comprised of stuff from ~1994-2003 (i.e. when I was still getting in both indie releases and major label stuff) and I've already pulled out the priciest pieces (i.e. 3rd-rate Mobb Deep knock offs that kids in Japan and Germany apparently want very badly) and am left with mostly $1 to $10 pieces that I'm happy to sell off at a heavily discounted price just to move this shit out of here.

Any advice on how to move this? Private sales to dealers who normally buy in bulk? Buy a table at PCC/Beat Swap/Buena Park? Doing it piecemeal, online, is a non-starter; too time intensive.

Thanks

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I can think of a certain well-regarded record store that would buy these...

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Yeah, I just did a massive purge of 90% of my hip-hop stock. Priced it all real cheap, gave a store the list, offered them 20% off the prices on there. SOLD. 197 rap records. $3000 richer. Australia is a GREAT place to sell hip-hop.

peace.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    setting up at shows can be incredibly boring, a time suck and a pain in the ass.
    value your time and sell it all to a store that specializes in hiphop for a couple grand
    you could get more money doing it other ways, but you gotta factor in time and effort, which pretty much balances the equation. theyll probably even come pick it up at your house

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    Give me a call or PM me-thanx O>

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    spreadsheet and classified section?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:

Did this here . Worked like a charm.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:

I don't want to do mail order though; that'd be the most trouble of all the options even if the profit margin may also be the greatest.

I'm not talking about 100-150 records here; I'm trying to move 2K+ units.

SK: I got you dude.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    djsheep said:
    Australia is a GREAT place to sell hip-hop.

peace.

I know a couple of guys with record stores that are often looking o buy collections can you PM me further details

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    soo..any hint on the name(s) of one of those 3rd rate mobb deep knock offs?

• If anyone knows anyone in Central FL area who'd be willing to look at about 1,000 records let me know, I've been trying to idly list them on Discogs which, although having got a lot easier to sell on recently, is still a fag.

Here's the list so far, after about 2 full sessions I've only just done the E's!!

http://www.discogs.com/seller/WaxCheckout

It's pretty much all that type of music, except for maybe 2 crates of either sample crazy/charity shop records (I'll let you decide on that one). I'm not asking a fortune so any offers welcome...

serch4beatz said:
    soo..any hint on the name(s) of one of those 3rd rate mobb deep knock offs?

Shit, at this point, I barely remember. I went through a few dozen joints that match that general description, all on indie NY labels from the mid-90s.

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    djsheep said:
    Yeah, I just did a massive purge of 90% of my hip-hop stock. Priced it all real cheap, gave a store the list, offered them 20% off the prices on there. SOLD. 197 rap records. $3000 richer. Australia is a GREAT place to sell hip-hop.

peace.

Wow. $15. That's an amazing average.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Contact this shop, I'm quite sure they are interested:

Coast2Coast

Kirchgasse 16
    95444 Bayreuth

Tel: 0049151 / 16 90 48 99
    Mail: info@coast2coast.de

http://www.coast2coast.de/music/

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I have about four boxes of records to deal with, a mix of 12" singles and albums primarily from early to mid-90's, some late 80's stuff but... a few things have sold but not as fast as I'd like.

So far, I've done one private sale, have another lined up. I'm not in a terrible hurry so the inefficiency of this isn't a big deal...yet. Something like Buena Park or Beat Swap does feel more tempting, just to move more than a few hundred at a time.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    So far, I've done one private sale, have another lined up. I'm not in a terrible hurry so the inefficiency of this isn't a big deal...yet. Something like Buena Park or Beat Swap does feel more tempting, just to move more than a few hundred boxes at a time and then move most of 85% of those boxes back to my house