WWSD...record buying related

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited April 2012 in Strut Central
Ok...bought a couple of cheap records from someone on the facebooks. It's been almost a month and still no records. Seller was in the UK. I sent him a simple message just inquiring on what date he sent them and a customs/docket number. Now I realize you cannot "track" a package with that number, but in the past I have sweet-talked my way with a friendly post office employee and I have been able to see when the package entered the US. The seller's first response was "did you pay for tracking?". I said no, but I simply just wanted to know when you sent them and the number. The next response was "you didn't pay for tracking, it is out of my hands." I then explained, yes I know I didn't pay for tracking (it was a $15 dollar record and a $10 record) but simply wanted these 2 pieces of info. His response "look, you didn't pay for tracking, I cannot help you". My next message was again, I know but I don't think not paying for tracking disqualifes me from asking for these 2 pieces of info. He then again, instead of telling me when he went to the goddamn post office (obviously privileged info only for those who pay for tracking) he just explained to me that info wouldnt do me any good, so quit asking. I'm not the asshole here, am I? I don't understand this dude's hardheadedness.

WWSD?

Comments

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    You are right to ask.
    He should have seen you as a customer for the last time.
    Kiss your money good bye.
    Like here: http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/73205/

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Oh, I can still do a chargeback. It wasnt sent as a gift.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    There's a whole world of need out there for a simple chip that can be inserted into packaging and can be located by gps.

Why oh why can we not buy this thing yet?

WMIC

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    skel said:
    There's a whole world of need out there for a simple chip that can be inserted into packaging and can be located by gps.

Why oh why can we not buy this thing yet?

WMIC

Got a Toronto-based pal working on this alongside a bunch of other companies. The technology is pretty simple but linking up the international telecomms is the hard part. And yes, the reality is even duller than it sounds.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:

Do it. He sounds like a tool.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Flomotion said:

Got a Toronto-based pal working on this alongside a bunch of other companies. The technology is pretty simple but linking up the international telecomms is the hard part. And yes, the reality is even duller than it sounds.

That's a radical real world move right there.
    Cash flow potential is enormous.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Flomotion said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

Do it. He sounds like a tool.

Yeah - this is totally reasonable to ask and exactly what I do when things are a bit late, particularly if they were'nt cheap. What's more is that as a seller, I always keep records of when I mail stuff in-case people need to make such an inquiry of me. It's just good business / decent person stuff.

• You can't get a customs/docket number without tracking in the UK so you'll never get a response on that which is what the seller seems to be saying?

You can for any posting get the p.o. to stamp a 'proof of postage' card with the name and address on that proves it was posted, but you have to ask for that, it's never just offered, and I don't think most sellers do it.

In future ask the seller to get proof of postage and send you a pic/scan of the stamped card?

Also the p.o. In the uk is short of staff due to cuts, so deliveries have slowed considerably, so I guess there are delays going out too.

And don't judge an entire country on one seller ;)

But he has to be straight up about that post date, that's NAGL

This guy FINALLY gave me the date he sent it...later than I thought. He was one of these "hurry up and pay so I can get this out with my other records", so I did. But said he didn't appreciate my asking him "to jump". But it took 5 messages, long, patronizing messages about the perks of purchasing tracking for him to give the mailing date. Instead of just giving me the info he thought it necessary to saying over and over again " you cannot track it online" even thought I never said I could not did I ask him to find my records. Hard headed to the point of infuriating me and I now refuse to even read his last message to me because I will fly into a rage. I stopped reading his shit after I read the line "they are just records, nothing to get angry about" in the midst of a long winded defensive rant. This guy is an idiot.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    It's so many a**holes in the record world, buyers & sellers, that when shit like this happens just let the world know their name or seller ID so everyone can try and avoid these pricks. It really ruins it for those of us that are honest sellers. The only way to hurt these dudes is in their pockets.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    name and shame so no one else has to deal!

his name is Mark O'Shaughnessy. The whole experience sucked.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    i am ignorant: how does one buy records off facebook?

aside from this debacle, have you folks found it to be a good outlet for records?

crabmongerfunk said:

aside from this debacle, have you folks found it to be a good outlet for records?

there is a record sellers group called "hassle free record sellers group" you simply post records with a price and a clip or youtube, and aside from this debacle, it has been great for me...I have sold a lot of records and I have no complaints as a seller. This is my first bad experience as a buyer.

• RisingsonRisingson 696 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    his name is Mark O'Shaughnessy. The whole experience sucked.

got a link?

• MC donaldsMC donalds 23 Posts
    Lurker here, just thought I should say I've bought quite a lot of records of this guy in the past and have never had any problems at all, I'm sorry you had a bad experience but I'm certain this won't be a case of him trying to rip you off.

I have never said he was trying to rip me off...just saying he is a hard headed person who sucks at customer service and acts likes you are bothering him to even make an inquiry about a purchase...never said he was trying to rip me off, just it has been a shitty hassle dealing with him.

• MC donaldsMC donalds 23 Posts
    Someone else said "kiss ya money goodbye" that's all.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    crabmongerfunk said:

there is a record sellers group called "hassle free record sellers group" you simply post records with a price and a clip or youtube, and aside from this debacle, it has been great for me...I have sold a lot of records and I have no complaints as a seller. This is my first bad experience as a buyer.

I would like to join this group, but I can't find it on facebook. Could you please post a link to it?

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    Bought records from him in the past, always comes through, just can take a bit of time sometimes. Never had any issues on the ol' customer service front doe, always been quick to sort stuff. Swings/roundabouts innit.

finelikewine said:
    I would like to join this group, but I can't find it on facebook. Could you please post a link to it?

Search for it on fb, comes up no probs.

Edit... I am now buying records, hassle free.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    bennyboy said:
    finelikewine said:

Search for it on fb, comes up no probs.

Edit... I am now buying records, hassle free.

Unfortunatly it doesn't show up. Link please.

Alright, must be location issues.... here go...

http://www.facebook.com/groups/hasslefree/

bennyboy said:
    Alright, must be location issues.... here go...

http://www.facebook.com/groups/hasslefree/

Thanks!