Kiteboarding / Kite Surfing?

4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
edited April 2012 in Strut Central
Anyone on the strut into this?

I think I'm gonna line up the lessons for myself to get on it this summer.
I am proficient or better at: Wakeboarding, Surfing, Snowboarding, Skating, Windsurfing and have flown two line kites as a kid - so i think it might come fairly easy to me. But then again...

Anyone on the strut fusk with this obscure and fairly dangerous sport? How likely is it that you will get lifted 20-30 feet up while trying to learn?

i am expecting crickets on this thread but we'll see!

Comments

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I've done it. It's fun and scary as hell. Too much gear to commit to it as a full-blown hobby for me. Dudes be crazy under the GG bridge doing this.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I don't do it myself (too much equipment/commitment), but it's really popular in Wellfleet, which is a great place to do it. I watch people do it all of the time, even in February when it's fukking freezing. My cousin also does it and he's a natural at all of this stuff. I must say, it looks like a lot of fun, dudes get going seriously fast.

I had the same concern, but apparently it's pretty easy to spill the wind out of your sail, so you aren't likely to fly away.

• Thanks guys, thats good to hear. My town (pedro) has one of two training centers down here in socal so I'm intrigued, then again it's almost a 500$ commitment to go through 3 or 4 lessons and I don't even think you get wet before those. I dont' want to dump a bunch of money chasing a sport that seems cool to me but might be a wee bit too dangerous to do alone (with no friends into it).

Appreciate the responses.

Golden Gate bridge? fuck that, I have too many surfing/shark stories from up there to even consider that!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Where's the video of the genius who did this during Katrina ?

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    i dunno man, both times when i was in St Lucia i was quite tempted to try it, we walked down to where they offered free lessons (as it was on a resort), but man let me tell you, when we got down to the dudes lil tiki hut type ish and your watching people flying by looking like they have no clue what the hell they are doing now that they are in "the moment" barely licking the tops of waves cruising at 40kmh, i couldnt bring myself to do it, i imagined floating off or ending up in Botswana....waving good bye as i cruise by outta control.

sure if you get out to far you could just bailout and hit the water, but then your like 1/2 mile off shore you got this cotdang surfboard dealy on your feet and a kite to deal with, most people got stuck out there and "couldnt get it up" who wants to do that? took a few people quite a while but they ended it getting their kites back up

too intense for me

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    wait for it

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    My brother is down in Cape Hatteras now sailing. It's hella fun and super addictive, but just like windsurfing it costs some to get going: you need several sails to fit different wind conditions. WRT learning most folk learn on land with a small kite: learning how to fly the kite is the most critical part. The first time I tried it on land it was windy and the kite was too big (I think my bro was fusking w/ me) : I got thrown about 15ft and dislocated a shoulder. Learning on snow with a snowboard is a great way to go, nice transition, and soft landing. Shallow water is good. I don't have the time to put into it, but it's a great sport.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    LoopDreams said:
    My brother is down in Cape Hatteras now sailing. It's hella fun and super addictive, but just like windsurfing it costs some to get going: you need several sails to fit different wind conditions. WRT learning most folk learn on land with a small kite: learning how to fly the kite is the most critical part. The first time I tried it on land it was windy and the kite was too big (I think my bro was fusking w/ me) : I got thrown about 15ft and dislocated a shoulder. Learning on snow with a snowboard is a great way to go, nice transition, and soft landing. Shallow water is good. I don't have the time to put into it, but it's a great sport.

Did it on a not so serious basis for around 3 years and, yeah, it's really fun! A lot of people start off with kites that are stupidly big and too powerful - sure way to scare yourself sh**less, dislocate a joint and/or get sand rash or worse from being dragged along the beach. Practice with something like a 2.5m power kite on dry land to get the feel of it - even on a mildly breezy day that'll give you a taste of the power involved. It really is a lot of fun.

• Wow!
    Thanks for all the info.

Flomotion - what made you stop?

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    I hope to try this one day. Drunk. With like 7 friends. And a car to take me to the hospital.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    You can get a land kite for under $200 and practice with that. I bought one recently and it's a lot of fun. I plan on using it to pull me on my skates. DISCO KITE JAMMING!

The only bad experience I've had thus far was accidentally stepping in a dead seal carcass wilst kiting in Half Moon Bay and not watching where I was stepping.

OZONE is a good brand.

http://www.flyozone.com/

And for those of you that are scurred of flying away, there's a trim cable. You just pull it and the kite collapses.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    My buddy in SF does this fairly often, but I'm not sure if he bought equipment. I kind of assume he rents, but I can ask if you want more info Th*s.

Also, I was on the beach in Florida a couple years ago with my girl, and just happened to film this shit from my beach blanket. Crazy sport. Good luck.

• jjfad027 said:
    You can get a land kite for under $200 and practice with that. I bought one recently and it's a lot of fun. I plan on using it to pull me on my skates. DISCO KITE JAMMING!

The only bad experience I've had thus far was accidentally stepping in a dead seal carcass wilst kiting in Half Moon Bay and not watching where I was stepping.

OZONE is a good brand.

http://www.flyozone.com/

And for those of you that are scurred of flying away, there's a trim cable. You just pull it and the kite collapses.

Is this the trainer you use?:

b/w @ 1:05 (to keep it strut related)

^^ yup. The one I got is a 2 meter. It's a good starting point. I weigh 165 lbs and I've almost been pulled off the ground with strong winds.

^^ yup. The one I got is a 2 meter. It's a good starting point. I weigh 165 lbs and I've almost been pulled off the ground with strong winds.

4YearGraduate said:
    Wow!
    Thanks for all the info.

Flomotion - what made you stop?

Having kids! There's only so many selfish, money-draining, time consuming, non-family friendly pastimes a man can get away with.

Double trouble