Soul Strut 100: # 82 - Gang Starr - Hard To Earn

2»

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

This is my all-time favorite Gang Starr LP. Guru and Premiere put it all together on this joint, and I think this a great addition to the list.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    I got a yet unheard Guru freestyle from '94 over the Mass Appeal beat on a tape, let's see if I can make that ripping device work... TBC

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    RAJ said:

DJ Premier: Office temp

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    This LP has never done a lot for me, much 'Step into the arena'.

:weaksauce:

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    FUCK

This has got to be one of my all time favorite rap records in the history of rap records. Listening to this shit is a religious experience.
    Anyone who ehs or mehs at this record needs to have the shit smacked out of them.

Gang starr never dropped a wack album, but to me this is by far the most cohesive and accomplished album they dropped.
    End to end, the vibe of each song merges and just meshes into a whole. The dustyness of the beats, gurus flow, the cameos, it all just fits together so perfectly.

And when those standout tracks come on, you know you're listening to history being made. You're in the presence of greatness.
    This is right up there with illmatic every inch of the way if you want to talk about classic rap albums.

Jeru dropped 'The Sun Rises In The East' in the same year. ... at this point, premos dominance... absolute...

I got to see gang starr and jeru together touring for both these joints at a big ass rock festival in europe, and saw them rock a fusking megalo-huge ass crowd of thousands of kids who were all mostly into rock and had no idea really, most of whom prolly couldnt understand a word & they absolutely killed it.

One moment i will never forget was Guru rhyming - i think it was mass appeal - and seeing the entire crowd jumping up and down in perfect sync to the cadence of his voice for what seemed like the briefest moment, and the crew on stage exhanging glances at that moment
    - one man rocking thousands of people in sync, with just the sound of his voice. Classic shit.

bow down

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    I much preferred Step Into The Arean and Daily Opperation over Hard To Earn but in perspective of a Soul Strut rated top 100 it deserves to be listed.

• Mr. Attention said:
    Yeah; Premier definitely has the ear. How he spotted the potential of a 3 second fragment from "Horizon Drive" is completely bananas.

I thought the same once I heard it!! That is hearing music and not just listening to it. He is truly a technician.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    RAJ said:

Is that mean joe preem on teh Strut???

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    Best Gang Starr LP.

• Mass Appeal was the first Gang Starr track i heard back in 93, i then picked the album up mid 94 and it stayed in my walkman for the majority of the summer. Dope beats and Guru was on point.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    HOLLAFAME said:
    RAJ said:

Is that mean joe preem on teh Strut???

Yes!

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    I never really liked the Massappeal beat much and never really understood the fuss over finding the sample. Guru's lyrics are great though.

I remember when the guy found the loop tho - wish I remembered his crates/soulstrut handle. I think he was from Finland?

Then someone bootlegged the Vic Juris album LOL

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    yuichi said:
    I can't get with Daily Operation, I can get with this however.

I've read a lot of wild shit on here over the years, but this is definitely up there.

To each his own, but really, WTF?

Take it Personal, etc. etc.

I've always leaned towards this and Step In The Arena as their best (there's a few filler cuts on Hard To Earn), but all 3 are incredible records overall. Primo & Guru are arguably one of the greatest duo's in rap history.

• A great double album across any genre not just hip hop, best hip hop double I can think of at this moment. Daily Operation is arguably better but DWYCK is one of the best posse cuts recorded along with I'm The Man.