›

SS rap thread: Film about the origins of the elements

pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
edited April 2012 in Strut Central

it's got mr.i was there and immortal technique sharing the stage with detective ice-t
no lil waynz-n-em but eminem
REAL HIPHOP...with your quote leader Yassin Bey (formerly relevant)
I don't know what to think about this subject matter and approach in 2012

Comments

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    would rather see a doc about rapalot/suave house/no limit

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    would rather see a doc about rapalot/suave house/no limit

YES. This ^

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    im in, but havent we heard this shit already.

the books, award shows, utubes and the like have kinda cover the roots quite well.

Its cool to hear it from the horses mouf all in one joint but dang.

at least it OGs talkin to eachnother and not Shia LeBouf or some Wu Tang dicksucker nonsense.

Kool Keith FTW.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    batmon said:
    im in, but havent we heard this shit already.

Yeah, this. For me, this is what takes it from an eye-roll to, "Yeah, I'll check this out":

at least it OGs talkin to eachnother and not Shia LeBouf or some Wu Tang dicksucker nonsense.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    looks beautifully shot. and thats an absolutely excellent PE song they got in the background

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    looks beautifully shot.

this is what has got me more excited about it. good photography is the only thing that makes me re-visit a documentary. that, or a less than healthy obsession with the topic.

also, as has been said, it's cool to hear the story from the horse's mouth, specially for people like me, who weren't there from the beginning, or even in the 'golden years'.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I don't understand the point of it. Is it just old rappers sitting about talking about rapping? Or is it story based? Or what?

I'd probably be more interested if they actually threw in some younger rappers as well - people who are still doing it as main career rather than in between guest talks/films/tv shows.

Junior said:
    I don't understand the point of it. Is it just old rappers sitting about talking about rapping? Or is it story based? Or what?

I'd probably be more interested if they actually threw in some younger rappers as well - people who are still doing it as main career rather than in between guest talks/films/tv shows.

younger dudes cant rap

batmon said:
    Junior said:

younger dudes cant rap

LOL ok, whatever works for you. Personally I'd be more interested if the whole thing didn't feel like a retrospective of a dead art form for people who stopped enjoying rap music in 2004.

Junior said:
    batmon said:
    Junior said:

younger dudes cant rap

LOL ok, whatever works for you. Personally I'd be more interested if the whole thing didn't feel like a retrospective of a dead art form for people who stopped enjoying rap music in 2004.

dead art form = younger rappers

The Art of Rap = Old man circle jerk

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    The last 5 seconds is the best, but I can't help but think this would be better if Ice-T was overdubbed by Paul F Tompinks impersonation.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    batmon said:

younger dudes cant rap

No.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    HOLO PAC INTERVIEW

WAKA FLOCKA HALL OF FLAME

LIL WAYNE GEETAR SOLO

3D

Well, trolling aside, to me personally, hearing the views of someone like Lil Wayne who's been involved in the industry since 1997 and watched it evolve into what it is today regarding, among other things, style, the influence of the internet and the changes in regional influence would surely be more interesting than hearing Joe Budden talk about that hit he had in 2003. But I realise this is an argument that's not going anywhere.

Edit: BTW, Lil Wayne is not a "new rapper", the style of the documentary is obviously never going to be focusing on Brick Squad etc but even talking to people like the Black Hippy gang about how they've approached it all with the influences that were already in place would have at least made it all seem a bit less like an epitaph.

I cant wait for a 40 something year old Waka discussing rap techniques w/ his peers in a Doc.

I can't wait for folks who insist on shitting on young/new rap to stop using Waka as a crutch...but that would be acknowledging they don't actually listen to or care about new rap!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    the fanboyism in the theatres will be funny

also it will make for an epic drinking game

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Film is an instant FAIL as it's already caused someone to use the word "elements".

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Any fule kno the origin of the elements is in the Big Bang, billions of years ago. You may favour the oscillating universe model, your call.

But such a film without reference to Hubble, Einstein et al is just pffft.

And no Hawking cameo?
    FOOH.

Anyways, my favourites are cobalt and helium.
    And mercury.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Fucking with cobalt kept me from joining a gang.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    my title was tongue in cheek

i just find it hard to subvert the nuances of post-golden-era artistic pessimism to my judgment of the cultural influence of hiphop

like when i see a documentary about hiphop youth programs in central africa or brazilian favelas
    they've embraced the four elements as part of ''this culture is a lifestyle'' and are card carrying zulu nation members

i would feel out of place dissing their enthusiasm and POV even though it bores me to tears

it seems that rap fans are pigeonholed into too open or too closed in a sort of left/right elite approach to the changing hiphop landscape
    the underground crusaders embrace embarrassingly dated models of REAL hiphop that are devoid of talent and proudly shit on everything that's made today with a semblance of bling/swag

check this hiphop academic manifesto with political undertones
    http://hemisphericinstitute.org/artistprofiles/dhoch/dhoch_HipHopAestheticManifesto.pdf

on the other hand
    the other extreme is either too regionally entrenched into archival levels of repping or simply too blind to the emperor's clothes to accept that trae is not channeled in every angry rapper with a grim outlook and aggressive delivery and that the neon cocktail of syzurp with fizzy pills at the bottom is not always REFRESHING

in the end it's about who screams SELL OUT...or JUST DON'T GET IT the loudest

but isn't it all about the music mang

Does it come in a 40oz?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    hahaha

ironically i suspect a flocka juice grape drink served in glass 40 bottles would kill the beverage market

bassie said:
    I can't wait for folks who insist on shitting on young/new rap to stop using Waka as a crutch...but that would be acknowledging they don't actually listen to or care about new rap!

Insert any young rapper instead of wack-a and I stand by my prediction.

batmon said:
    bassie said:

Like which ones?

In all fairness, Ice did try to interview Master P but turns out he still owed members of the camera crew money so they had to discontinue.

Gucci Mane was available but no-one could stop laughing at the desert themed facial tats long enough for the interview to be completed.

Other new school rappeurs were dropped after test audiences reacted unfavorably to interviews conducted in autotune.

Master P and Gucci Mane are not "younger rappers".

bassie said:
    batmon said:
    bassie said:

Like which ones?

After School Program Rappers

Are Odd Future still relevant?