I don't like this new future

disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
edited April 2012 in Strut Central
Google glasses - such an horrible idea:

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,894 Posts
    I've always had trouble taking comfort for granted. [startup of world's smallest violin]Coming from humble origins[/violin], there's always been the unspoken spectre of some kind of payback being required in exchange for having more shit than you actually need. Currently being manifested by all the work going to cheap countries. AKA Newton's third law.

It's not getting me down though. There's always change coming, isn't there? Confucius dropped the knowledge about that.

I know some folk who did work for Dave Stewart at his yard. He described his state of mind at the time as being paranoid about deserving everything he had, as though somehow he'd lucked his way out of poverty, that his luck was a big mistake and it was all due back further down the line... They used to step over him on the floor as the paranoia was sometimes literally paralysing to him. He called it "Paradise syndrome". He couldn't believe his worries had actually been banished.

His wife just told them to ignore him and made them cups of tea and sarnies. She was really down to earth.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I actually find the protagonist in that video a far more damning indication of the world today than the google glasses - was hoping that when his lady called and he said "wanna see something cool?" he was going to then leap to his death off the balcony.

Apart from that, day to day life is pretty much like that these days anyway except that everyone's looking at their hands rather than staring at you through some natty specs. No doubt life will be come more complicated though when you're desperately trying to work out which direction you should go for the meeting you're late to but can't see shit due to all the pop up adverts obscuring your view.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    I'm always very slow in adopting new technology and keep observing all these things as smartphones and tablets and such pretty sceptical before I decide what could be useful to me and what not. Having bought my first cellphone in 2004 and having joined facebook only a few months ago, this stuff like connected google glasses sounds like just one more step towards cyborg-ism. I hate how all these corporations (linke in this clip) try to sell that progress like it's bringing humans closer together while it just helps disconnecting everybody even more from the world they're actually making moves in, robbing them any possibility of making unexpected experiences.
    Yeah, and that guy they conceived to simulate what google probably considers to be normal life was disturbing too. Wow, Ukulele...such an individualist.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Yep totally hear what you're saying and it's all in moderation really IMHO. The biggest curse is undoubtedly the instant access factor of facts, opinions and people. The idea of people popping up and hassling me in my vision never mind on my phone is one that I find truly abhorrent. Everything else is about restraint.
    As someone who spends time editing a text for grammar and punctuation prior to sending I'm probably at the mild end of the spectrum but it's taken me a long time to realise that just because I've received an instant message I don't need to instantly reply; something I had to relearn again when my emails started getting forwarded to my phone and something I'm teaching myself for the third time with things like not looking at IMDB during the opening credits of a movie or youtubing an album before I even get it.
    There's definitely the constant temptation to be told things rather than find them out and a certain level of self imposed restriction of data access is a good thing but on the other hand there's music, life experiences and friends who would be totally unknown to me without the availability of this information should I want to access it.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    There's a good deal of debate going on about whether or not this technology should be installed in windshields of cars.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    disco_che said:
    Google glasses - such an horrible idea:

Dont you love how the upbeat folksy music and cheery setting sugarcoats the concept of enslaving you and totally fucking owning your life.

This could just as easily be redone with a scary soundtrack and spooky Orwellian overtones and have the exact same intent.

And I'm sure there's people out there who cant wait to shell out for a pair of Google glasses.
    Not much different from Facebook, really.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    ^ Hah. Wonder how long it takes before that's all over facebook.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    The singularity is near. Those that reject technology will eventually be left behind, as always. Get robotized or become ancient history.

:eyeball:

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    jjfad027 said:
    Those that reject technology will eventually be left behind

There are studies which suggest that with kids growing up sitting on their ass most of the time and staring into LCD displays, the average motor skills are on the decline. Many children have problems with such simple tasks as walking backwards etc.

Welcome to the age of technology fueled devolution. A few generations more and we might start crawling on all fours again and when people don't have their hands free anymore to operate their idiot-phones, those google glasses will really come in handy.

It's a good thing to stay behind when the masses are rushing downhill.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    maybe Rousseau or one of his contemporaries wrote about man in a state of nature having everything needed to survive. every invention, at first a luxury, soon became a necessity. this in effect made modern, invention dependent humans a weaker species

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    that being said, those glasses were pretty inevitable. contacts would logically follow

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Let's just have a USB port implanted into every new-born's head and have done with it.

Sure a similar scenario was part of the Red Dwarf books and tv comedies.

"Better Than Life" was the brand name.

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Can I remind all you doom-mongering, glass-half-empty types that the personal jetpacks are still awaiting delivery. Which is to say; not every possible future has to be, nor will be, an actual future. That said, if Philip K Dick was still alive, he'd be litigating like a motherfucker round about now.

Also, if there are kids out there who can't walk backwards properly, that might be the fault - at east, partly - of something other than technology.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,086 Posts
    5 year olds with iPhones, people at concerts who pay more attention to their little screens than the show itself, grown adults with Facebook drama, going on dates with women who can't tear themselves away from their idiot phones to have a good old fashioned conversation, teenage girls - who seem to be crappy drivers to begin with - texting ON THE FREEWAY (I always make a habit to make a quick "pay attention!" honk)...I'm so sick of all this.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Also, if there are kids out there who can't walk backwards properly, that might be the fault - at east, partly - of something other than technology.

Decline of the Electric Slide at the school disco?

• jjfad027 said:
    The singularity is near.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Technology can suck it!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Some days, I seriously wish Bruce willis would've let that fucking astroid hit this planet.

- diego

• Can't wait to use them to look records up on popsike without anybody noticing.

:eyeball: :shh:

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Frank said:
    jjfad027 said:
    Those that reject technology will eventually be left behind

There are studies which suggest that with kids growing up sitting on their ass most of the time and staring into LCD displays, the average motor skills are on the decline. Many children have problems with such simple tasks as walking backwards etc.

Welcome to the age of technology fueled devolution. A few generations more and we might start crawling on all fours again and when people don't have their hands free anymore to operate their idiot-phones, those google glasses will really come in handy.

It's a good thing to stay behind when the masses are rushing downhill.

A few years ago we were looking for some players for our company Softball team....we asked a young 20 something dude if he was interested and he said Yes!

He shows up to the first practice and informs us he has NEVER THROWN A BALL IN HIS LIFE!!.

He then proceeds to prove that he has no coordination or anything resmbling motor skills whatsoever, and he looks like a fairly athletic dude.

When somone finally asked him why he wanted to be on the team he said "I'm real good at the baseball computer game"

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    You know what.. It's about time for the Running man to make a comeback.

- spidey

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    itt luddite curmudgeons

• I generally feel pretty wondrous about things like this regardless of terrible marketing or the often initially misplaced application.

I could fux with them if they looked like a normal pair of sunglasses and there were decent content or video game apps for me to surreptitiously use them at work.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    "...give up your google glasses, or you won't see another day..."

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    itt soft ass biatches

bw

shit you could never do rocking google glasses

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    Electrode said:
    5 year olds with iPhones, people at concerts who pay more attention to their little screens than the show itself, grown adults with Facebook drama, going on dates with women who can't tear themselves away from their idiot phones to have a good old fashioned conversation, teenage girls - who seem to be crappy drivers to begin with - texting ON THE FREEWAY (I always make a habit to make a quick "pay attention!" honk)...I'm so sick of all this.

sangin to the choir man

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    If you're on a date with a girl and she's using her phone instead of having a conversation with you, I don't think it's the phone's fault.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Do these have an app so you can see who's a lizard?