Anyone up on their chemistry?

Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
edited April 2012 in Strut Central
I've started smoking e-cigarettes and recently I thought I'd read a safety report on the ingredients in them.

The one ingredient I find concerning is this:

1,3-Bis(3-phenoxyphenoxy)benzene

Now, Benzene as I understand it, is a carcinogen. Yet, in this official report it says 'non hazardous'.

My question is, what exactly does that long chemical description mean? It's still Benzene right?

Hopefully someone up on their chemistry can school me.

Every search I have done on 1,3-Bis(3-phenoxyphenoxy)benzene mentions nothing about carcinogenicity.

Peace.

Comments

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    I dont understand the formula, but one person told me that the more 'rings' it has, the more carcinogenic it becomes.

I don't know what the feck a 'ring' is, but this one has quite a few apparently.

B/w

Does non-hazardous mean non-carcinogenic, or are they separate terms?

• safe to ingest. however it 'may' not be safe to consume huge amounts. everything in moderation, right. Probably just another form of preservative?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    I dont understand the formula, but one person told me that the more 'rings' it has, the more carcinogenic it becomes.

I don't know what the feck a 'ring' is, but this one has quite a few apparently.

B/w

Does non-hazardous mean non-carcinogenic, or are they separate terms?

Benzene is a ring molecule, that's it's shape. The more rings = more cancer seems too simplistic to be true, but I don't really know.

I'm not sure how technical a term non-hazardous is, but from the reading I did, I wouldn't worry about it. Real cigarettes are a whole other level of toxicity in comparison. Benzene is present in pretty much every kind of smoke - hanging out by a campfire is a 1000 times worse.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    Hi,

Benzene is a carcinogen in large doses. Making subtle substitutions does change it's chemistry and ability to interact with your body. For example if you add a acetyl and carboxylic acid groups to benzene you end up with acetyl salicylic acid which is just another name for aspirin. Whoever said pretty much everything is poisonous if you take enough, is correct. Generally speaking the opposite is also true. If there are only quantities measurable in part per billion, then it is not likely to be harmful to you. Just based upon a quick look at its structure, I am going to guess it is just an additive to help preserve whatever aromatics you are smoking or it is used to help them dissolved in solution.

So just because it has benzene in the name, doesn't make it benzene. Just like if it says Funky on the cover, it isn't always FUN-KAY.

Ed

(OH also, just cause it has more rings, it is more poisonous is not true. Though at some point if it has enough rings, it won't dissolve in water, so it shouldn't really be a problem for you, at least as far as ingesting it)

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Ha, I like the funk analogy.. tailored for strut digestion.

Thanks for the replies y'all. You've put my mind at ease.

*picks up the e-cigarette*

Peace!

• Read this: Allen Carr's The EASYWAY To Stop Smoking (Book). It's what helped me give up before Christmas. Spent New Year's smoke free