Kanye will inflate Curtis Mayfield eBay prices...

RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
watch... I felt nauseous when I heard one of his tracks using this lp... it feels like something sacrilegious... I like Kanye though... I wonder if Curtis could hear it, would he like it?

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I felt the same way when I heard it, Ray. Same thing with the Gil Scott sample track that with Comm on it. Like, ehhhh...why??

Anyway, I think Curtis would be most concerned about the message being delivered over his original music than anything else. I don't think talking about gold chains and being "sky high" would earn his approval.

I would be very surprised if prices for the S/T are raised to a significant level. Mainly becuase if it takes Kanye West to introduce you to Curtis Mayfield, then (in my biased opinion), there is a severe wiring problem with your listening priorities.

But, that's just me.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    I think your right... I love that Curtis song though... those horns just get you going and feeling all groovy and things... anyway, what time do you need me to help you on friday? Is Moms in town yet?... I think I'll bring Ray Jr. with me, his teacher always tells me how helpful he is, thats because he sees his dad cleaning up behind his fam all day... One day I came home and he rearranged like 200 lps in my room! I asked him why he did it, he said he didnt want his brother to touch them... what a guy...

anyway... let me know what time you wanna do this.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    ive got a curtis s/t on sale for $4 if that means anything!

• If Mase couldn't do it then nobody can.

If Mase couldn't do it then nobody can.

I just passed on one of those the other day and it was in great condition unlike mine... Gangstarr leftovers...

• just to clear things up, i believe that kanye song y'all are referring to, is the one song on his album that just blaze produced.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    if it takes Kanye West to introduce you to Curtis Mayfield, then (in my biased opinion), there is a severe wiring problem with your listening priorities.

Is that really a bad thing? We all start somewhere; I'd bet just about everyone here entered the world of older soul/funk/jazz/etc through hip-hop. Someone's 16 this month and beginning that journey right now.

If a person wants to learn more about Curtis after looking through the liner notes of their Kanye album, more power to them. At least they're being proactive about refining their music tastes, rather than filling their iPod with the Billboard top 100.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    if it takes Kanye West to introduce you to Curtis Mayfield, then (in my biased opinion), there is a severe wiring problem with your listening priorities.

Is that really a bad thing? We all start somewhere; I'd bet just about everyone here entered the world of older soul/funk/jazz/etc through hip-hop. Someone's 16 this month and beginning that journey right now.

If a person wants to learn more about Curtis after looking through the liner notes of their Kanye album, more power to them. At least they're being proactive about refining their music tastes, rather than filling their iPod with the Billboard top 100.
    I usually agree with this, but it's fucking Curtis, man. The only rapper who even remotely has enough soul to spit over Curtis would be Ghostface and even then, I don't know. The way Kanye West news spreads, I would have so much preferred that dude just big upped Curtis in an interview than rap over something by him. Although the kids really need Curtis in their life. I honestly think there would be world peace if everyone listened to Curtis.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

True.

It's harder for young bucks to get the context we older cats have. I still remember when I could hear Curtis Mayfield on the radio (not with new cuts, but not just "Theme From Shaft," either). I wish that I could say that I'm shocked that Chicago shows so little radio love for one of its own.

Then again, when was the last time you heard James Brown, singer and producer of 50+ top-ten singles over four decades, have much but "I Feel Good," or "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag" played on mainstream (usually meaning "oldies") radio? I'll bet the average 16-19 year-old hasn't heard much and might have trouble caring.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    just to clear things up, i believe that kanye song y'all are referring to, is the one song on his album that just blaze produced.

yep and its probably the best track on the album... that or Late. Tired of Gold Digger and Diamonds are forever.

just to clear things up, i believe that kanye song y'all are referring to, is the one song on his album that just blaze produced.

yep and its probably the best track on the album...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

yep and its probably the best track on the album...

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    its far and away the best track on the album

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I don't think talking about gold chains and being "sky high" would earn his approval.

but talking about throwing eggs at people did.

I don't think talking about gold chains and being "sky high" would earn his approval.

Clue me in...

• I don't think talking about gold chains and being "sky high" would earn his approval.

Clue me in...

I think he's referring the "Superfly" sample in the Beastie's "Eggman".

Clue me in...

I think he's referring the "Superfly" sample in the Beastie's "Eggman".

Got you - okay, well while I'm channelling Curtis from the Heavens, let me tell you what he thinks about Kanye comparing himself to Stevie...

"What's that, Curtis?"

"I saaiid, "

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Unlike Isaac Hayes, Curtis was notoriously welcoming of his shit being sampled, right? I seem to recall reading that he'd charge hella cheap rates. I'm willing to be he'd like this shit. It knocks.

-e

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    To those of you that are so interested in "protecting" Curtis's (or Marvin's or Donny's or whoever's) music: Is it a) because you consider the work fragile, and thus fear for its integrity and feel that it only truly lives when presented in nurturing environments and under carefully maintained conditions, or is it b) because your connection to it is tenuous enough to be jeopardized by some someone jacking some horns or whatever? Put another way: Are you afraid that the original work won't hold up, or are you afraid that you'll change your mind? I ask because I'm hard-pressed to think of any possible cause for alarm that isn't, at its root, a variation on one of the two.

To those of you that are so interested in "protecting" Curtis's (or Marvin's or Donny's or whoever's) music: Is it a) because you consider the work fragile, and thus fear for its integrity and feel that it only truly lives when presented in nurturing environments and under carefully maintained conditions, or is it b) because your connection to it is tenuous enough to be jeopardized by some someone jacking some horns or whatever? Put another way: Are you afraid that the original work won't hold up, or are you afraid that you'll change your mind? I ask because I'm hard-pressed to think of any possible cause for alarm that isn't, at its root, a variation on one of the two.

I feel what you're saying, james, but I gotta say neither. I'm just a big fan with a personal connection to the music. That's not going anywhere. I have no problem with people sampling any of them, at all. But that doesn't take away my right to hang my head when it's done poorly or in bad taste.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Third possibility: Curtis seemed to have a love for music. Maybe some of us are simply disappointed - from the standpoint of simple justice - to see a man exploit Curtis' work solely for financial gain. Not to say Kanye doesn't have a love for music generally or a respect for Curtis specifically, but Kanye's lyrics and off-record pronouncements often come across this way.

I feel what you're saying, james, but I gotta say neither. I'm just a big fan with a personal connection to the music. That's not going anywhere. I have no problem with people sampling any of them, at all. But that doesn't take away my right to hang my head when it's done poorly or in bad taste.

Yeah, you're not really the kind of dude I'm talking about.

Speaking of bad taste, though: While making an impulse dip into Gold Coast Dogs (real heads know: keep extra bank for extra franks), holmes in the ground-effected late-model something was stopped at the light, singing along with the Michael Bolton on Love 104fm, but with his own twist: ???Can I fuck you there???? Rugged, man.

Maybe some of us are simply disappointed - from the standpoint of simple justice - to see a man exploit Curtis' work solely for financial gain.

I'd argue that Curtis's work is being exploited solely for the fact that it sounds fuckin' great, even in the context of some bullshit sample.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Maybe some of us are simply disappointed - from the standpoint of simple justice - to see a man exploit Curtis' work solely for financial gain.

I'd argue that Curtis's work is being exploited solely because it sounds fuckin' great.

I agree.

I also wonder--and this is not intended as a personal attack on anyone--but where do dudes get the authority to pass judgment on Kanye for this? Who's to say that Kanye's understanding of, and connection to, the music isn't superior to your own? Not saying it is or isn't--but who's really to say?

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

I'd argue that Curtis's work is being exploited solely because it sounds fuckin' great.

I agree.

I also wonder--and this is not intended as a personal attack on anyone--but where do dudes get the authority to pass judgment on Kanye for this? Who's to say that Kanye's understanding of, and connection to, the music isn't superior to your own? Not saying it is or isn't--but who's really to say?

I'm Kanye West

I'm Kanye West(ern Suburbs)

I kid.

Hi, Dave.

• I agree.

I've been thinking that millions of other artists, good and bad have sampled Curtis, why is it an issue that Kanye sampled Curtis? Just a thought.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    I'm Kanye West(ern Suburbs)

I kid (n' play).

Hi, Dave.

Do the James

• It's fucking hip-hop. Hip-Hop samples the greats and not so greats. Everyone whining about this sound like a bunch of rock purists who hate sampling and hip-hop.

Just for the record I only posted this topic because everyone was posting posts with Kanye's name in them... I had no clue a good old fashion SS anal probe session would break out... sorry.