Just thought I'd take the time to introduce myself

ShadowShadow 7 Posts
edited April 2012 in Strut Central
Sending these bits down the intertubes from northern Canada (we still have snow on the ground).

I've been recently infected with the vinyl bug (as of July 2011), and while it's taken some time I am in full on addict mode. Currently playing my collection on a Sony PS-T33 from 1980 equipped with a RedEd (rebadged Goldring Elan) into the phono stage on my Pioneer SA-6500II and finally out to a pair of Pioneer CS-53's.

I've just recently purchased a pair of PSB Alpha B1's to replace the Pioneer's, and have a bead on a nicely refurb'd HK730 amp to replace the SA6500. I think after that I'm going to bump up to a Ortofon 2M Red cartridge and be fairly content for awhile.

My album collection isn't vast by any stretch of the imagination, but it is beginning to take off. In no particular order:

Billy idol ??? Rebel Yell
Brian Adams ??? Reckless
Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA
Cars ??? Candy O
ELO - Discovery
Foreigner ??? 4
Midnight oil - Diesel and Dust
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells
Nazareth - Malice in Wonderland
Pat Benatar ??? Crimes of Passion
Saga - Saga
Supertramp ??? Breakfast in America
The Knack ??? Get the Knack
The Monks - Bad Habits
U2 - The Joshua Tree
Yes - Relayer
The Rage of 1710 - Baroque Classics
Ace Frehley - Frehley's Comet
John Cougar Mellencamp - Uh Huh
Crabby Appleton - Crabby Appleton
Amadeus - Original Soundtrack
Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
Ozzy Osbourne: Bark at the Moon
Ozzy Osbourne: Diary of a Madman
Daft Punk - Tron Legacy Sountrack
Daft Punk - Discovery
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Adele - 21
Alice Cooper - Killer
Sammy Hagar - Three Lock Box
The Beatles (White Album)
Rolling Stones - Aftermath
Boomtown Rats - Fine Art of Surfacing
The Fixx - Reach the Beach
Otis Redding - Dictionary of Soul

I find more every day that I want to add to my collection

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Welcome

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I would recommend purchasing the "Soul Strut 100 Box Set" on 180 gram blue marble vinyl for $599.99
    pm for details

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Burns said:
    I would recommend purchasing the "Soul Strut 100 Box Set" on 180 gram blue marble vinyl for $599.99
    pm for details

Also, cop the Hall & Oates discography for $5-6, and you'll begin to fit right in. Welcome!

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    I remember when my record collection was about as large and diverse as yours. That was probably about seven years ago. Wow!

Its come a long long way since then and its been an awesome journey along the way.

All the best building it up.

Welcome to the Strut!

p.s. don't forget about 45s and 12s.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    i thought there was gonna be major hating on this, i'm glad there's not. i suppose i'm not entitled to say it, but welcome to the strut.

i guess the only thing i can say is keep buying cheap and interesting looking records. some will be good, some won't, but it's the only way!

also, get shure m44-7s or -gs instead of the ortofon cartridge and spend the extra cash on more records ;)

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Candy O is an awesome album. Number 87.5 in the Strut 100 of my private mind garden.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Give him dues for the chutzpah of flossing a Billy Idol joint but take them away again for Bryan Adams.

Never, ever that, son.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    skel said:
    Give him dues for the chutzpah of flossing a Billy Idol joint but take them away again for Bryan Adams.

Never, ever that, son.
    in a way i kinda feel "run to you" but it may be because it doesnt suck as much as the rest.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    Number 87.5 in the Strut 100.

I think we might have found a new entry for the Strut lexicon here.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I saw Adams as a direct and cynical commercial exploitation of that vacuous, sanitised arena rock sound that Sprinsteen mined circa Born in the USA and is a demarcation line, the point where unruly gentlemen-yobs of the tousled blond mane ilk - Coverdale etc- got elbowed aside.
    Damn I miss that era.

Maybe Adams was pre or concurrent, but I will invest no time in researching that wholly depressing episode.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Welcome!

You will quickly want to get deeper and deeper into rarer stuff??? and then come full circle and be blasting Candy O and Foreigner 4 again:

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    skel said:
    Give him dues for the chutzpah of flossing a Billy Idol joint

Eyes Without A Face is my joint.

This is one of the oddest collections I've seen in a while, my mind is boggled by the Adele on vinyl. I want to cry bullshit but will play nice.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Welcome!

You will quickly want to get deeper and deeper into rarer stuff??? and then come full circle and be blasting Candy O and Foreigner 4 again:

I also have to the White Album, "Breakfast in America," and "Dark Side of the Moon" too. Welcome to Soul Strut, Shadow!!! Sure, dudes are clowning you, but they know they have the "H2O" LP too. :real_headz:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Welcome. Don't forget to stock up on your Boz Scaggs and Leo Sayer raer.
    ;-P

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    SoulOnIce said:
    Number 87.5 in the Strut 100.

I think we might have found a new entry for the Strut lexicon here.

????????????????????

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Welcome aboard. I am a fan of the old 70's Pioneer gear. I have a pair CS-63DX in my living room.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    waxjunky said:

Also, cop the Hall & Oates discography for $5-6, and you'll begin to fit right in. Welcome!

Yeah you should do the same with Michael Franks first 5 LPs. Should only set you back about $3.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    Shadow said:

The Rage of 1710 - Baroque Classics

:face_melt:

• hey shadow, welcome aboard. what brought you here of all places?

in a weird way i am excited for you becasue you are about to discover an amazing world of music you can't even fathom at this point.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Perhaps we should have a definitive list of dollar bin essentials

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I know there is a Canadian Law concerning broadcasting that states that a certain percentage of radio and tv broadcasts have to be Canadian artists...perhaps the law stretches to include record collections, hence his inclusion of Bryan Adams in his crate.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    your life has officially changed. Welcome to the madness know as Soul Strut!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Shadow said:

Amadeus - Original Soundtrack

I remember as a kid hearing Symphony No. 25 in G Minor in this movie and being blown away.

Hearing this on a good system at 11 is amazing!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    RAJ said:
    thumbs up!

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    RAJ said:

I think this is a great idea to introduce novice diggeurs into the site!

*cough*cough*ICouldUseItToo*cough*cough

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Always thought Shadow had way more records than this.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    Always thought Shadow had way more records than this.

Beat me to it.

Badabing!

• ShadowShadow 7 Posts
    Wow thanks everyone for chiming in!

What brought me here? I was researching something and came across the mention of the "Youtube Vinyl Community" no idea knowing what that was, my internet sleuthing led me to this website. I dug the design, figured I'd sign up and see what's what.

And yes, my collection is bizarre I don't look at music as genres, I look at it as "Music that sounds good to my ear, is it on vinyl? Yes? Buy it." That's pretty much my entire mentality.

I'll be assembling a list of all the suggestions made in this thread and I will check them out. The Soul Strut boxset is intriguing, I think I will inquire more within.

So long for now

Also, it seems I'm out of the loop as far as the context of this websites membership. I'm getting the general feeling however that the more rare something is, the more it's valued . I just look at some records are staples of vinyl ownership in that you just gotta own em (Who owns a turntable and no Floyd, anyone?)

• Shadow said:
    Wow thanks everyone for chiming in!

So long for now

i can't tell if you're fifty, fifteen or french.

not even mad.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    vintageinfants said:

i can't tell if you're fifty, fifteen or french.

not even mad.

Good line to use on the ladies. Er, or dudes, I guess.