Albums seperated at birth

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
yesterday I dug up a long time want, Terry Manning's "Home Sweet Home". Finally able to listen to it in its entirety a few times in a row I noticed a very close similarity to another LP I dig a lot, Randy California's "Kapt. Kopter and the Fabulous Twirly Birds".

Both albums are made up of an "all star" band (Randy's is made up of (at the time) a more "serious" line up, but in hindsight, Terry's has a lot of heavyweights on it as well). Both albums are aggressively psychedelic, both have a toungue-in-cheek vibe, suggesting neither gentlemen are taking this album making stuff incredibly seriously, and both have 2 Beatles covers..each album has a very long super-psychedelic Beatles cover(Terry's "Savoy Truffle, Randy's "Rain" and a shorter, more straight-ahead Beatles cover(Terry, "I Wanna Be Your Man"...Randy "Day Tripper"). Both albums are immaculately, ahead-of-their-time produced.

Randy's came out almost 2 years after Terry's, but I don't know if Randy was aware of Terry's LP since it is/was obscure and not many copies were sold, but then again, by the time Randy's LP came out Terry had produced both Zeppelin and ZZ Top, so his name was probably well known in rock circle among musicians, so it is possible.

Regardless, 2 great LPs that have a lot of similarities. Separated at Birth in a sense.

Anybody ever have the same feeling about two unrelated LPs?

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I have a secret squirrel demo acetate of Kapt Kopter with some alt mixes/unreleased tunes, including a killer version of The Move's "I Can Hear The Grass Grow" and an epic Hendrix-esque instro jam.

It took me years to figure out what it was because all of the songs are re-titled and no artist name appears - I thought it was an unknown band!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    I have a secret squirrel demo acetate of Kapt Kopter with some alt mixes/unreleased tunes, including a killer version of The Move's "I Can Hear The Grass Grow" and an epic Hendrix-esque instro jam.

It took me years to figure out what it was because all of the songs are re-titled and no artist name appears - I thought it was an unknown band!

If you have it digitized I would be really interested in hearing it...I recently dug up a non-LP single which is pretty cool as well.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I might be working with another label to see these issued, so I would have to see how they feel about me posting them first.