Attn: fellas who always watch sports

buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
How come guys who live eat and sleep sports on TV never want to actually play sports IRL? This is just anecdotal I guess, but if I ever want to shoot hoops, play tennis, etc.. I would never, ever call my friends who are the sports nuts. I would seriously have to look up my weirdo art school friends. Makes no lick of sense does it? Like DJs who've never danced or something. sports v. sport?

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    This has not been my experience. I watch hockey every day all season long and I play it as much as I can. My friends who watch basketball all the time are always trying to get games together, etc.

Maybe you just live in a lazy neighborhood?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    D.E.L.E.T.E.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Must just be the people I know. But also most folks here would rather spend a Saturday afternoon drinking than doing pretty much anything.

Batmon U ball w all yr NIKEZ??

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    What's up with these people who listen to music but don't play instruments?

Weird.

button said:
    Must just be the people I know. But also most folks here would rather spend a Saturday afternoon drinking than doing pretty much anything.

Batmon U ball w all yr NIKEZ??

I was a hardcore athletefrom a kid until after college. I put in enuff time playing sports and riding bikes.
    At this point live competition is against 17 years old online.
    There are active sports fans and beer drinking fat dudes who watch sports. It doesnt matter.

I play w/ myself now.

Horseleech said:

Not exactly the same. The barrier for making music is much higher and generally requires a lot more time, committment, money, know-how, patience, etc... A basketball costs like $18.99 and public parks are free baby

Batmon U want in on the soulstrut Super Street Fighter IV tourney? I got some fresh new combos I'm ready to bust :-/

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    button said:
    Horseleech said:

Not exactly the same. The barrier for making music is much higher and generally requires a lot more time, committment, money, know-how, patience, etc... A basketball costs like $18.99 and public parks are free baby

Ehhhh I think HL's analogy was pretty on point. Your initial argument that those who love a form of entertainment are somehow faulty for not participating in it personally just doesn't hold water, especially when compared to other popular obsessive diversions like, yes, music. It's true that those who make music can appreciate it on a certain level others can't, and the same is true for sports - but there are countless passionate, obsessive music fans who don't understand much at all about how it is made, just as millions of hoop fans don't know how it feels to dunk over someone.

The cost-effectiveness argument is extremely flawed as well - in fact one reason many people don't play sports is that can be very expensive. Adult sports leagues can cost hundreds of dollars per season per player, not even including equipment. I personally probably spend over a thousand dollars a year playing hockey, when you factor in the cost of ice time and gear, and I'm not even in a league.

I'm just talkin playing 21 at the park on a sunny afternoon, not like, climbing the north face of K2. The people I know who follow pro and college sports down the the tiniest minutiae wouldn't even take me seriously if I suggested such a thing.

just anecdotal I guess

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I'm guilty of watching, but not playing as of late.

I'll still ball up a Batmon or whatever the fuck.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    When I used to play basketball 2-3 times a week I watched a lot more hoops on TV than I do now.

I played City League Softball until 3 years ago when I retired at 51 after winning the Championship one last time.

I do think that the Internet generation(s) play less sports IRL in general.

And HL is on point....the only "instrument" I can play is the turntable.

• I'm in the process of getting a record-dude softballt eam together as we speak.

RG, do you want in on this? Charlie Hustle and shit.....

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    batmon said:

At this point live competition is against 17 years old online.

Whoopage? I don't have the time [strike]to compete with[/strike] get beaten by the kids online.
    Still play football ('so-cher' to you philistines), and still hold my own against kids with 15 years on me, but that won't last. I find more people are interested in viewing sports that they have had some participatory experience in myself. Don't know many sports fans that never picked up a racket, or kicked a ball etc.

Horseleech said:

Weird.

[sheepish] Ahem, cough. Yeah. [/sheepish]

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Played 90 minutes foot-ball last week (not the hand-egg USA type), knees are still pissed off with me. I guess riding bikes doesn't give the cruciate ligaments the same workout. Good job my game is all INZAGHI-4-LIFE.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Horseleech said:

Weird.

This analogy is a crock.

What's up with these people who watch pron but don't pole the chicks?

Oh wait...

how come record collector dont work in record pressing plants?

skel said:
    Horseleech said:

Weird.

This analogy is a crock.

Oh wait...

Tulisa-R?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    What's up with these celebs who take part in teh "video games" knowing full well they will be posted somewhere?

You'd almost think they might be attention seekers

::demeyeroll:

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    skel said:
    Horseleech said:

Weird.

This analogy is a crock.

Oh wait...

Tulisa-R?

**Apparently** head is not her forte.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    With me, it's very simple. I'm just not athletically-inclined. Can't run, can't jump, can't bowl, bat, field, keep goal, etc., etc. I am an abysmally bad football player, and when I did play as a kid, I'd habitually be picked last and kept away from the ball. Once I'd left school and was no longer obliged to take part in competitive sports, I stopped. I've always enjoyed watching football, but I'm not really that interested in other sports. I used to think that maybe I lacked enough of a competitive streak, but I've come to the conclusion it's simply because I'm no good at sport. Step to me on a music quiz, on the other hand, and you'll be taking your ass home in a bag, gift-wrapped.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    J i m s t e r said:
    skel said:
    Horseleech said:

Weird.

This analogy is a crock.

Oh wait...

Tulisa-R?

Major rethink required here too.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    With me, it's very simple. I'm just not athletically-inclined. Can't run, can't jump, can't bowl, bat, field, keep goal, etc., etc. I am an abysmally bad football player, and when I did play as a kid, I'd habitually be picked last and kept away from the ball. Once I'd left school and was no longer obliged to take part in competitive sports, I stopped. I've always enjoyed watching football, but I'm not really that interested in other sports. I used to think that maybe I lacked enough of a competitive streak, but I've come to the conclusion it's simply because I'm no good at sport. Step to me on a music quiz, on the other hand, and you'll be taking your ass home in a bag, gift-wrapped.

This is why America invented The Gym. It's sport for people with no coordination, but you get to feel good at something.

Duderonomy said:
    J i m s t e r said:
    skel said:
    Horseleech said:

Weird.

This analogy is a crock.

Oh wait...

Tulisa-R?

I'M OUT.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

• the only sport i watch these days is baseball, and almost strictly live. i get to about 25-30 home games a year plus maybes few on the road. i used to be a fiend for all types, but i just haven't had it in me lately. i used to watch crazy amounts of NBA games ('roundball rock' by john tesh still makes hairs stand up), and i played at a collegiate level. i also played pro volleyball, and i only get around to playing that about twice a year. i have a footy pitch literally in my back yard (im watching a kid practice his corners as i type this) and i think ive set foot on it maybe 4 times in the 6 years ive lived here. im by no means old (thirty-ish) but unless someone really gets on my case to get out... id rather just hang out with my makeshift family at home than chase around a sphere anymore.

jock-who-lost-his-way-R

edit: ill probably golf 15 times this year, but most of that is work related.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    i dont know any sports fans that dont play something. maybe its just the group of friends you run with.
    also, ill be up in nyc beginning of april. who's down to hoop?

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    i prefer playing anything to watching anything.

at the moment the only sport i play consistently/competitively is hockey, but now that spring is here things will change....

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    i also can barely handle watching any sporting event these days.

• cove said:
    i also can barely handle watching any sporting event these days.

major fucking cosine.

i sat court side for a raptors/warriors game earlier this month and the whimpering was deafening.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Lumin said:
    i dont know any sports fans that dont play something. maybe its just the group of friends you run with.
    also, ill be up in nyc beginning of april. who's down to hoop?
    I'm widdit. roar at me and we'll link for 21.

• Have lumin give you a copy of his record t - that shit I slammin