Ethics Question

2»

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    The worst thing a person can do is get into a rut.

You'll be doing him a favor by stealing his seat - it will force him to expand his horizons.

At least that's something to tell yourself.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I tried the other single seat, the backwards facing one, this morning. It's not as nice. You have to turn your head too often in order to see what's coming or you miss it. And there's a lot to look at. There are some nice trails along the tracks between Oyster Bay and Locust Valley; little stone bridges, foot paths and mist covered limpid pools with muthafuckin' swans floating around in them.

And the old guy goes right for his seat. Doesn't even give it a second thought. Probably doesn't even remember that someone else was sitting in the last two days. I just laid low. He was chatting it up with the conductor too. I wonder if he was asking about me?

I haven't really come to a decision on how I'm going to handle this long-term. I was thinking I could do a Monday-Wednesday-Friday and then the next week Tuesday-Thursday thing, but that would just be annoying for both of us. Things like this need finality.

Maybe tomorrow I'll take the forward facing seat in a different car. I'll probably be stealing someone else's seat and depending on how important that person looks, I can decide whether to go back to my original forward facing seat or not. With my luck the guy is probably a partner at my firm, there are like a million lawyers and I don't know half of them, or the head of the Bar Association or something.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,898 Posts
    I'd just take the seat. I speak of when I used to take the bus to work, it was always standing-room only at my stop. So I just walked to the stop before and got a seat every time.

You want your own private seat, then take the bike or car.

The-reed-that-does-not-bend-in-the-wind-will-snap-R

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I agree, just take the damn seat. None of this one day on, one day off stuff. Karma isn't even involved here, you aren't doing anything malicious and the other guy isn't suffering, he just has to sit in a slightly inferior seat. Boo Hoo.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Don't reinforce his whiny.