LISTEN WHITEY!

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central

Was just browsing through this book over the weekend. A guide to all the recordings associated with the Black Power movement - Curtis Mayfield, James Brown, Eugene McDaniels, folksinger Julius Lester, speeches/interviews by the likes of Eldridge Cleaver, poets like Nikki Giovanni and Kain, several albums on the Flying Dutchman label, the entire Black Forum discography.

At $40, I am not in a position to buy it at the moment, but I must say, it's pretty thorough. For the most part - I would have loved to have seen more space devoted to John Kasandra's albums, beyond the fact that he was one of the MC's at Wattstax. But it holds up well, for the most part.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    ill check

• i think we discussed this a couple of weeks back...horrible title though, especilly given that it is put together by white dudes and will mostly be purchased by other white dudes..

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    i think we discussed this a couple of weeks back...horrible title though, especilly given that it is put together by white dudes and will mostly be purchased by other white dudes..

White dudes love that shit.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    batmon said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    i think we discussed this a couple of weeks back...horrible title though, especilly given that it is put together by white dudes and will mostly be purchased by other white dudes..

No doubt. The Bob Dylan record on the front is code, like those little rainbow stickers on the doors of businesses: "WELCOME, WHITEY!"

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    Me & a friend were called "woodpeckers" the other day. I probably would not have figured out it was a racial epithet but, then she fallowed it up with "cracker". That's when I new we shouldn't be walking down skid row.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Murdock said:
    Me & a friend were called "woodpeckers" the other day. I probably would not have figured out it was a racial epithet but, then she fallowed it up with "cracker". That's when I new we shouldn't be walking down skid row.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peckerwood

Calling a book "Listen Whitey" is like racenip (whitenip?) to "irony" oriented hipsters, who are not familiar with what the word ironic actually means.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    perfect title though, given that it is put together by white dudes and will mostly be purchased by other african american studies grads.
    Not that there's anything especially wrong with that.

I do take exception to Dylan being added to yet another piece of recorded media :coolsmirk:

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    james said:
    batmon said:
    crabmongerfunk said:

No doubt. The Bob Dylan record on the front is code, like those little rainbow stickers on the doors of businesses: "WELCOME, WHITEY!"

Which, as if you guys didn't already hear, 50 years ago Today was Bob Dill's first album released. You bet I overheard a couple of copy guys at my job chatting about that earlier this afternoon. Sounds like an interesting read; I'll put it on the list. And to keep it on topic and also maintain my white-man cred: I have this book waiting for my pickup at the library:

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    white_tea said:

just requested from my lib, thx!

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    The_Non said:
    Murdock said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peckerwood

Calling a book "Listen Whitey" is like racenip (whitenip?) to "irony" oriented hipsters, who are not familiar with what the word ironic actually means.
    I had know idea. Makes sense tho. Always wondered why the whites where called Woods in the jail.