Soul Strut 100: #92 - Marvin Gaye - Here, My Dear

2

  Comments


  • pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Goin' in and out my clothes
    Powder goin' up my nose
    Runnin' 'round with midnight hoes

    THAT CHAPTER OF MY LIFE IS CLOSED



    Fourth album on the Soul Strut list I own, along with Junior & the Soulettes, Joe Quarterman & Free Soul and Harlem River Drive.

  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    Goin' in and out my clothes
    Powder goin' up my nose
    Runnin' 'round with midnight hoes

    THAT CHAPTER OF MY LIFE IS CLOSED

    'im not really into Rap!" :lalala:

    I forgot to address this small aspect of the album. Dude raps a tad on here in '78.

  • SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    is that chapter of my life closed? the uncertainty

  • bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    well damn if I didn't get home and put this on right away.

  • Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

    Point blank, this is my FAVORITE Marvin Gaye LP. I loved it from the moment it was released, but emotionally, it's a demanding album. It's tough to hear Marvin bear his soul and discuss his ups, downs, his pains, and his sorrows. It's almost like a trainwreck of sorts that you can bear to watch (or hear in this case), yet, you can't turn away from it. This album, in two words, is haunting beautiful. It is a timely classic that I play all the time. The problem with it on release, however, is that it was 1978-1979, a time of party/dance music (e.g., "One Nation Under a Groove", "Ring My Bell", "More Bounce to the Ounce", "Shake Your Pants", etc., etc.), not for melancholia and depth of emotion. This is probably why the album didn't have the impact it should've upon release.

    Peace,

    Big Stacks from Kakalak

  • Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    bassie said:
    well damn if I didn't get home and put this on right away.

    Werd. Me, too. :necessary:

  • mannybolonemannybolone 15,029 Posts
    Standard disclaimer: don't get caught up in the rankings. Until we hit the top 20 or so, the rankings here don't divine much at all.

  • mannybolonemannybolone 15,029 Posts
    To add: think of this as an UNranked list. Just getting into it is what matters, not whether it's 5 spots above/below somewhere else.

  • Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I don't think anyone's making the point that this (or that, or the other one) should be 3 spots ahead or 2 behind. That's a strawman.

    For me, Here My Dear is at least Top 50 if not Top 25. I think that's a legitimate point to make.

    You guys put together a numbered list, why not explain how they were ranked (including vote totals) as part of the discussion? Otherwise you're just asking for it. Part of the fun of these lists is arguing placement. You can't come into every thread and say, "the ranking is not important, there were only 5 people voting."

  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I guess it not Private mind garden ranking but what has had the most SS mystique.

    Now if i was a cat on the outside looking in how in hell does Leo Sayer rank higher than Marvin Gaye?
    Seriously.

    Im cool wih the mystique of SS thang but its really not about the art but more about how many SS folks circle jerked on a particular record.

  • ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    The rankings matter a lot to me. I already know the musical content of the records and have read the threads in which they were originally discussed. Posting the vote totals is a good idea.

  • BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    The rankings matter a lot to me. I already know the musical content of the records and have read the threads in which they were originally discussed.

    Your top five then?

    I'm wondering if any disco/rap 12"s will make the list now.

    Trap Door II MIX should make it, had a vinyl release.

    Coffee table book in the works. Music seen thru the eyes of Soul Strut - The Blasphemy. $24.95

  • HANGING CHADS!

    VOTER SUPRESSION!

    CAGING!

    My prediction for top five ss:

    1) endless flight
    2) Mardi Gras 12" w/o bells
    3) van full of Pakistan
    4) my dark twisted veiny
    5) thriller vs off teh wall

  • tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Spacecho said:
    I got put on to this record by Soul Strut! Thanks y'all!

  • tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    batmon said:
    its really not about the art but more about how many SS folks circle jerked on a particular record.

    thats a lovely image. thanks.

  • ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    My SS top 5 are whatever is voted into the top 5. I trust the voters, the process, and the rankings completely. I'm guessing Stark Reality is in the top 5.

  • mannybolonemannybolone 15,029 Posts
    paging Musica? I think he has the final tallies and can break down the voting process (though I'm pretty sure that was all laid out in the original voting posts from last spring.

  • RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,535 Posts
    I have the final tallies.

    There were 113 responses:

    The difference between 100 and 92 is 1 vote (27-28)??? so yes, I would not slice your wrists over who's #99 and who's #88.

  • yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,318 Posts
    I gave this a brief listen a few years back after everyone's rave reviews about it here, and then sold it immediately because it didn't resonate with me at the time. Listened to this on my way to work today, and I think it'll be a record that will grow on me.

  • RAJ said:
    I have the final tallies.

    There were 113 responses:

    The difference between 100 and 92 is 1 vote (27-28)??? so yes, I would not slice your wrists over who's #99 and who's #88.

    APATHETIC 30 SOMETHING VOTERS

    POOR VOTER TURNOUT

  • RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,535 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    RAJ said:
    I have the final tallies.

    There were 113 responses:

    The difference between 100 and 92 is 1 vote (27-28)??? so yes, I would not slice your wrists over who's #99 and who's #88.

    APATHETIC 30 SOMETHING VOTERS

    POOR VOTER TURNOUT

    This board is over, dead, remember?

  • bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    yuichi said:
    I gave this a brief listen a few years back after everyone's rave reviews about it here, and then sold it immediately because it didn't resonate with me at the time. Listened to this on my way to work today, and I think it'll be a record that will grow on me.


    A series of torrid semi-successful to outright disastrous relationships, a reliance on things that are very bad for you but help to fog up how inadequate you feel and a burning desire to use art to express your fears, loves, guilt, confusion and anger in order to separate you from the safe and comfortable masses while winning the elusive love and acceptance of your father will be good listening aids.

  • pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    batmon said:


    Now if i was a cat on the outside looking in how in hell does Ray Stevens rank higher than Marvin Gaye?
    Seriously.


  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    batmon said:


    Now if i was a cat on the outside looking in how in hell does Ray Stevens rank higher than Marvin Gaye?
    Seriously.


    to this day i still dont get that joke ......swooosh......

  • BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    yuichi said:
    I gave this a brief listen a few years back after everyone's rave reviews about it here, and then sold it immediately because it didn't resonate with me at the time. Listened to this on my way to work today, and I think it'll be a record that will grow on me.

    How? 2 lps, Marvin Gaye, dark, complicated, ups & downs, stabs, surreal, a shitty comparison but could be the souls' equivalent
    to Floyd's The Wall, yeah I said that by a stretch.

  • jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    DustedDon said:
    "Anger" is amazing.

    probably my favorite song on the album.

    this album has a special place in my heart. back when i first started really getting into record shopping and more specifically, buy lots of soul music, i came across this album as i was trying to build out collections for the likes of Marvin, Stevie, etc. And right about the time I learned about this album and some of its back story, my folks split up. As i was trying to process their divorce, etc this album was a useful tool in helping me manage those emotions.

    good album.

  • BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Got fooled on this double lp. Noticed the first lp is side 1 and the other side 4, the other lp is side 2, & side 3. Am I only one?


  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Burns said:
    Got fooled on this double lp. Noticed the first lp is side 1 and the other side 4, the other lp is side 2, & side 3. Am I only one?

    that because of the turntable and how you loaded it

  • DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,209 Posts
    batmon said:
    pickwick33 said:
    batmon said:


    Now if i was a cat on the outside looking in how in hell does Ray Stevens rank higher than Marvin Gaye?
    Seriously.


    to this day i still dont get that joke ......swooosh......

    Pickwick seemed to poast this in response to anything mildly controversial.
    Colour me Ethel.

  • never heard "Here, My Dear"
    saw it the other day in a local spot and picked it up, was kind of disappointed, was expecting a little more
Sign In or Register to comment.