Istanbul strut

meistromocomeistromoco 953 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
Have a 48 hour layover (trying to extend to 72 hours) in Istanbul with the lady in a couple weeks (en route to India).

Our hotel is in the Sultanahmet. Looking for things to do, **places to eat**, bars, music, markets, etc. Prob won't spend much time digging, but plaese to share your experiences.

Any tips are appreciated!

Comments

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    hey!
    the Sultanahmet is awesome, you should just plan to walk the Grand Bazaar and have dinner down by the water. go by the spice market, which is in walking distance because it sounds like you won't have tons of time to do it all. of the best things in Turkish hotels is the breakfast so probably you won't need this but if you want amazing breakfast go to the Kybele hotel, same neighborhood. the terrace is amazing and the breakfast and coffee is so good. if Nesdet, the owner likes you he will offer to walk you around the bazaar which will entail going to all of the nooks where locals only shop, and sitting for tea with all of them. he goes there daily and walks fast but it's worth it. he also has the best info on new little restaurants. the food there is so good. if you have time, take a cab up to taksim, it's nice to just walk around there and get street food (mussels stuffed with black rice!!!) and there are a few music shops and used bookstores where you can sometimes find records.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    I second everything AK said.

Except, I wouldn't devote too much time to the Grand Bazaar, as I found it fairly disappointing (a lot of vendors selling the same schitt, hokey souvenirs, etc. - but you can get really decent fake watches - be prepared to bargain hard).

If you can, I strongly recommend checking out the Basilica Cistern. One of the coolest things I have ever seen.

Oh yeah...and try not to buy any rugs. I dare you!

• thanks to both of you for the tips!

Have either of you been to the Cukurcuma neighborhood? Sounds like a less touristy antiques district. We like old things and junk shops.
    http://cafefernando.com/cukurcuma-a-hidden-treasure-for-antique-enthusiasts/

Also, how easy / cheap is it to get around if we were to venture to different areas of the city? Most of the restaurants I've read about are not in the Sultanahmet (although I am sure there are good ones there too).