street fighter 4

buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
Dudes, I'm almost 30 and haven't regularly played video games in like - at least 10 years, but as it turns out... I'm borderline obsessed with playing Street Fighter 4 on xbox. wts? I know! makes no sense. this is a pretty embarrassing thing to admit and I'm still coming to terms with it... but in the mean time: anyone play on here? Maybe we can mix it up online or some shit. I main Chun-Li even though I feel like she sorta sucks in this incarnation.

Comments

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    My screen name on Xbox live is Jectwon ....I am 30 and I unapologetically fucks with THE SFIV.

Let's fukkin' battle. I do have drink/puff pauses in between rounds, tho...

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Yeah, I'm hooked bigtime. Lent the Xbox to a friend for a few weeks, now I'm anxious to get it back and back into it. I main Gen.

And I turn 31 this year.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Dang dudes, good to know! My xbox id is SatanMaggots but I don't have Live at my place now. I ususally play at my brothers house but I forget his username. His Dhalsim is freakin' crazy.

LOL @ the drink & puff breaks. I've found out the hard way that I gotta be totally straight to keep up online. Even then I tend to get stomped.

Maining Gen = raer

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    My good friend, who fwiw is older than you, is also completely obsessed this. He was made redundant for a time recently and, from what I could tell, he dedicated all that free time trying to improve his SF skills. Boning up on techniques and tactics from info off the internet, staying up all night practicing or watching countless hours of those pro SF tournemants on UStream.

He's pretty deadly now. Not Japanese teenager deadly but still.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Having had my hand forced with peer pressure I've now switched my allegiances to the PS3 but did purchase SFIV on the 360 when it came out.
    I was pretty confident when I started playing as I was a demon on SFII Turbo on the SNES back in the day and I saw no reason why 15 years should have dulled my skills. Played through with some of the characters until I felt I had a reasonable handle on how to do fireballs on an analogue stick and wasn't totally baffled by the Super Moves. Went online, got my arse whooped about 5 times in a row, took the disc out, put it back in the case, never played it again.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Until you've gone out and bought yourself one of these

Dedicated yourself to multiple hours of practice a day.

&

Swoon like a school girl at the sight of this man

You're still little dude & stand no chance in the serious business of SF online.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    In case you wanted to / didn't know who dude is.

Daigo Umehara started becoming famous internationally from the YouTube video clips[42][43][44] of his match in the Losers bracket final[45] in Evolution Championship Series 2004's Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike competition where he made a dramatic comeback against Justin Wong's Chun-Li. In the final round of match 1, Umehara's Ken was down to his last pixel of vitality.[46] At this point, any special attack would knock Umehara's character out if connected, since special attacks deal chip damage even when blocked. In an attempt to win the round, Wong attempted to hit Umehara's Ken with Chun-Li's multihit Super Art move Houyoku-sen (?????????, "phoenix-wing fan").[47] However, instead of avoiding it, Umehara chose to "Parry," a technique whereby an incoming attack is blocked without the player losing any health, but by doing so requires moving toward opponent's direction in the same time a hit lands,[48] within four of thirty frames[citation needed] per second of the impact animation. After the move was launched, not only were all 15 hits Parried, but Umehara also managed to get into a good position to make a powerful attacking combo[49] that knocked Chun-Li out instead. This moment, and the ecstatic cheering of the spectators that followed, was recorded and later spread on the Internet, gaining immense popularity.

Ha! Is it a better or worse thing that I know of both that dude and Wong? I can't deny it, while I admitted defeat returning to Street Fighter as soon as I realised I needed to buy a stick (and get a better internet connection) to even consider taking people on, I love geeking out to stuff like this and pretending that my brain and my hands could still achieve something similar.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    I am 44 and can recall Saturday afternoons consisting of:

Missile Command owing me cities.
    Being in awe of the mysterious "MAC" down the Corner Pocket pool hall with his Defender high-scores (I never saw dude, he was there in the evenings with the ne-er-do-wells, just left his initials and some distance from my best efforts as his legacy)
    "10 sheet" flags on Galaxian
    I was pretty good on Xevious (hidding-towers-R) and could be all day on Track & Field & Hyper Sports (shoot ghost in left square to get Turkey-R)

Then discovery of beer and women and music and serious study thereof.

Consoles got a lot better though. At Uni, used to geek on on the reg to Worms, Toe Jam & Earl, then Gran Turismo and Super Mario Kart on the SNES. Kids have since had my PS2 (believe it or not, I really liked chilling to "Surf's Up" on that, 2 player mode V #1 Son) and XBOX now. I sense the XBOX is only geared up to complex games, WOW and dem. I have personally heard of a few adult relationships going west as a result of madnesses of this nature.

I left uni and actually worked programming at a games place. I was deffo the odd one out. Their geekery was next level. It pretty much put me of playing any videogames in my precious spare time. I tell you at 44 life is very short, and impressive as that SF match above is, I would regret putting this much time in [youth is wasted on the young-R]. Man should be practising his his Wangmanship innit (or playing music). I can live with #1 (and probably #2) son(s) pwning me on such.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    Worms

One of the best games evar.

I'm 35 this year and if anything am enjoying playing games as much as any time in my life. The move to online gaming has timed perfectly with lifestyle changes from being round friends/being in student accommodation to having a few hours free a week and little to no chance of everyone being free or local enough to get together in person.

Plus there's something less humiliating about being beaten by sm0k3d4skuNK187 before he has to take the bins out when he doesn't know he's playing a mid thirties greying guy who's still wearing his work suit.

However at heart I'm a frustrated geek who refuses to actually grow up and act my age so maybe I'm not the best benchmark.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:

Man should be practising his Wangmanship

Whoever stops?

I was a bit good on Street Fighter '1' (arcade only, very difficult to pull off special moves, but you could accidently kill an opponent perfect from the off if you landed a dragon punch correct), and into SF2, SF2 turbo, and even that chipped version:

The Beast makes his 'Strut debut!

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts

"....rousing strut SF tournament?....sayin'..."

I'll crush a few Stutters.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    I was a bit good on Street Fighter '1' (arcade only, very difficult to pull off special moves, but you could accidently kill an opponent perfect from the off if you landed a dragon punch correct)

I never saw Street Fighter I in the flesh -- it was almost mythical-rare status; at this late date, I've only seen it once, at the pool hall in the movie Juice.

I would like to try to this game, but can agree with some of the sentiment in this thread. With my limited amount of free time to devote to gaming, it's a bit disheartening sometimes when I, say, try to play NBA 2K12 and end up getting blown out before halftime.

Okem said:
    In case you wanted to / didn't know who dude is.

Here's the short version

white_tea said:
    Duderonomy said:
    I was a bit good on Street Fighter '1' (arcade only, very difficult to pull off special moves, but you could accidently kill an opponent perfect from the off if you landed a dragon punch correct)

I never saw Street Fighter I in the flesh -- it was almost mythical-rare status; at this late date, I've only seen it once, at the pool hall in the movie Juice.

IIRC, you could only be Ryu. Sagat I think was the last bad guy, and the other bad guys were different from SF2.

Skip to 4:50 and he kills a guy with one 'uppercut'. All of the special moves were fusking difficult, but this was the first arcade game that had 6 buttons, and was obviously a massive leap forward in gaming evolution.

I think Mike in SF I = Balrog (aka M. Bison aka Mike Bison in JPN)

If I recall correctly, my introduction to Street Fighter was in an arcade on holiday in Spain. This had the original "pressure pads" rather than six buttons which you had to whack harder to do more powerful punches and kicks. My feeble little juvenile hand could barely get Ryu to move a muscle never mind take out any of the opponents. I left defeated with a bruised right hand.

Ah, here it is:

Whoa. SF-raer! Never saw that version. And yeah, I remember the joysticks being really, really stiff (hence the difficulty in doing special moves).

wow :face_melt:

This tangent got me googling the OG street fighter and I found a link to a fan-made remake with supposedly better controls and more playable characters.

http://thevalkyrieproject.blogspot.com/p/game-projects.html

JectWon said:

"....rousing strut SF tournament?....sayin'..."
    BUMP

I have an online setup now. Can we scrounge up 6 more people on here to hold a proper tourney??

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Wish I lived in the US... I would be so down for a tournament!

Anyone picked up SF X Tekken? I'm waiting to get a used copy... I'm not in a huge rush to get it but it looks cool.