Anyone know who this group is? (random pics for sale on ebay - related)

mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central

Came across people selling old, unnamed photos on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960s-8x10-PHOTO-BLACK-SOUL-MEN-BAND-w-VINTAGE-GUITAR-/230752213066

....and its pretty much taken upmy entire morning.

I had no idea people sold this kind of thing, but it really appeals to my inner History Detective/ Timmy Digsalot.
You never see old pic in Thirfts, as most of them have a policy to destroy any pics in photos albums that are donated.

Lots of cool pics to be found.

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    The sign in the background says "THE", so that's a clue.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Horseleech said:

Good Detecting ;)

It looks like a Baobab Tree they are sitting under, so that means the photo was taken most likely in Africa.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Orchestra Baobab?

It was just a lark, but the dude dead center w/glasses in each photo looks similar. Also, it would almost certainly be an established, successful group because of the brand name guitars.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    mrmatthew said:
    Horseleech said:

Good Detecting ;)

It looks like a Baobab Tree they are sitting under, so that means the photo was taken most likely in Africa.

That tree could easily live in the southern or western US states. The building looks american. The guitars are american.

One thing for sure is that it is not from the 60s. Earliest is '71 due to the Musicmaster bass.

Horseleech said:
    Orchestra Baobab?

It was just a lark, but the dude dead center w/glasses in each photo looks similar. Also, it would almost certainly be an established, successful group because of the brand name guitars.

that dude has a widows peak, and non of the dudes in the top photo has one.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Some version of Chuck Brown And The Soul Searchers?

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Orchestra Baobab?

My bet it's indeed Orchestra Baobab, except there are 6 people not on pic one.

If you are able to see them live: do! They still perform and i can highly recommend them.