Anyone read the Gil Scott memoir?

UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
Anyone else read it? A little uneven in spots, but if you're a fan of Gil's output over the years, you're used to that. Like his records, when he's on, he's incredible, and the stories of him growing up and starting his career were great. I gather it was pieced together from bits and pieces he wrote over the years, but it reads pretty well, and feels incredibly personal, unbearably so at times. The last chapter had me tearing up on the subway. Definitely deepened my appreciation of an artist I probably rank as my favorite of all time.

Some of the most interesting parts were the descriptions of the Hotter Than July tour with Stevie. Would love to see some of the moments he recounts; hard to even conceive of Gil, Stevie and Michael Jackson on stage at once. Really wish I'd caught this before it got taken down.
It will come at a great price. The time and sweat invested in that pursuit may cost you in hours and days you cannot use in other directions. It may cost you relationships that you would give almost anything else to develop, with someone who cannot stand to come in second to anything. The passion with which you commit yourself to something intangible may well turn away the very support that could sustain you. What you will need is help that exceeds understanding. There may be disruptions on every level by those you try to touch, who shy away from you because understanding is not what you are looking for. Your only hope for stability on the levels of togetherness beyond understanding is trust. Anyone who claims to love you knows they will not understand every element of these things you need and that is where trust must carry you two the rest of the way.

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I liked it, but it got a little too wordy for the sake of being that way.

I'm afraid that passage you just reprinted is a golden example.

• I have that hotter than july film as mp4, its 220 Mb if anyone can recommend where to upload to I can do that, i have no online storage arrangement anywhere right now

• soulcitizen said:
    I have that hotter than july film as mp4, its 220 Mb if anyone can recommend where to upload to I can do that, i have no online storage arrangement anywhere right now

maybe compress it into an archive file and upload it with divshare. would love to see that flic.

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    I heard this Astro/ Harmonica Music dude read a bit out on a Bookslam podcast (42). It was funny ("VIRGO!!). Made me appreciate the awesomeness of Stevie even more.
    I wanna read it, but yeah, that extract quoted above is wordsey all right.

• Hopefully this will work for the stevie film, just unzip the rar for the mp4

http://www.sendspace.com/file/hdtedb

Cheers Sutty

• thanks, it worked!!! starts with stevie jamming with a drum machine.

• cool, not sure how long it's up there for or how many d/ls allowed so be quick maybe, I was surprised it let me upload at that size as most of those share services stop at 50-100mb

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    thanks man! dling now. :beerbang: